This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the SYFY channel like to put up movies/

Like the ones you see on saturday and they are always like Mega pirhana or Shark attack or Solar attack something corny. But I would like to know what is it with the SYFY channel with those movies? Why can't we wach Scifi stuff? I am fine with them being on once in a while but not on 24/7 on the weekends all the time? What is up with the SYFY channel who keeps making these movies. None waches them anyway.

They are cheap and not a lot of people are watching cable on the weekend. If they are even home its to a sporting event
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      They are cheap and not a lot of people are watching cable on the weekend. If they are even home its to a sporting event
      When I watch anything on the weekend it's videos on my computer. If there were quality shows on (even reruns of older sci-fi shows like The Sentinel or Sliders) I'd watch TV. Too bad no networks around here on the 600+ channels ever show quality programs besides the prime time hours.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by boxdudea View Post
        Like the ones you see on saturday and they are always like Mega pirhana or Shark attack or Solar attack something corny. But I would like to know what is it with the SYFY channel with those movies? Why can't we wach Scifi stuff? I am fine with them being on once in a while but not on 24/7 on the weekends all the time? What is up with the SYFY channel who keeps making these movies. None waches them anyway.
        This article explains a lot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/ar...+movies&st=nyt

"Shot on budgets ranging from $1 million to $2 million, Sci Fi's movies are made in money-saving locales like Bulgaria, Romania and Missouri. They're cast with B-list celebrities like Luke Perry and Stephen Baldwin, with the occasional big-picture actors - Sean Astin and John Rhys-Davies of "Lord of the Rings" - making an appearance. The network pays $750,000 for domestic TV rights, and the producers make their money back through international and DVD sales."

"The critics' disfavor doesn't seem to bother the folks behind the films, who have no pretensions to high art. Bonnie Hammer, the Sci Fi Channel president, likes to refer to the pictures as "popcorn movies for those who love the genre," adding, "Viewers come for the ride; it's a guilty pleasure." Jeff Beach, whose Unified Film Organization has made 20 films for the network, calls them "high-concept action-adventure movies with elements that are fun, whether a creature or a disaster.""

...and they actually have more viewers than SGU did.

Comment

Bonnie Hammer, that explains everything
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Hey, some of them are good. Once again, I have to suggest Dog Soldiers.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              Hey, some of them are good. Once again, I have to suggest Dog Soldiers.
              Ok...............Name a second one.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Ok...............Name a second one.
                You seem to like Book of Beasts...

I take it BSG The Plan and Razor don't count?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X