This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate barbie
    ooh. i don't think i put this in my original post, and i'm too damn lazy to check.

you may notice that the game cube section in computer game shops is becoming smaller and smaller, and in other shops is non existent. this apparently is because nintendo is going the way of sega. apparently they are expected to go out of business fairly soon, which is a shame because they do make good stuff.
    Gamecube aren't really that well supported in the UK, but when I was over in the USA there were a tonne of GCN shops, and in Japan there's something the size of Macy's *just* for GCN games, and with Nintendo bringing out the GBADS and the N5-Nexus, I don't think they'll be going out for a while

Comment

Xbox Of course

Halo and Halo 2 Krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      That's some gooooood FPS

Comment

If you want fun, a good time, some decent franchises, good multiplayer fun and a wide variety of different age orientated games. Gamecube. With franchises like Resident Evil and Zelda it really is quite good, has 4 controller slots, great graphics and is cheap at the price... only problem is it's not doing too well.

PS2 is great if you want a VERY wide variety of games, it has great franchises like Tomb Raider, res Evil and more. Whilst out of the big three it has the worst graphics, it's still fun to play. It boasts the ability to play DVDs and is quite cheap. You can also play some excellent cheap PS1 games on it. I would reccomend this over most, because it has the best designers on board.

XBOX, frankly is not worth your time. I will grant that it has the best graphics of all 3, has a hard drive which is definitely very good, but unfortunatly it lacks decent titles. If you look around, most titles are simply rubbish clones of rubbish games. If you want loads of identical racers, get an XBOX, if you want loads of sonic the hedgehog rip offs, get an XBOX. If you want your games OVERLY mature (ie boring and bland) then sure, get an XBOX. The only real good ting about it is the net access, DVD and CD ability and the fact that it has ONE OR TWO decent games. Let's not forget how expensive and large it is.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you want an X-Box to me, although you can't go wrong with a PS2. I think you'll have a lot more titles to choose from on the latter.

I love my Gamecube, because I play mostly classic series like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. all the time. Plus I can play all my old GB, GBC and now GBA games on the set-top with a Gameboy Player attachment. The games are super-fun, but Nintendo definitely slants toward the younger crowd.

And the new SG-1 game that's coming out next year won't be available on Gamecube.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
            If you want fun, a good time, some decent franchises, good multiplayer fun and a wide variety of different age orientated games. Gamecube. With franchises like Resident Evil and Zelda it really is quite good, has 4 controller slots, great graphics and is cheap at the price... only problem is it's not doing too well.

PS2 is great if you want a VERY wide variety of games, it has great franchises like Tomb Raider, res Evil and more. Whilst out of the big three it has the worst graphics, it's still fun to play. It boasts the ability to play DVDs and is quite cheap. You can also play some excellent cheap PS1 games on it. I would reccomend this over most, because it has the best designers on board.

XBOX, frankly is not worth your time. I will grant that it has the best graphics of all 3, has a hard drive which is definitely very good, but unfortunatly it lacks decent titles. If you look around, most titles are simply rubbish clones of rubbish games. If you want loads of identical racers, get an XBOX, if you want loads of sonic the hedgehog rip offs, get an XBOX. If you want your games OVERLY mature (ie boring and bland) then sure, get an XBOX. The only real good ting about it is the net access, DVD and CD ability and the fact that it has ONE OR TWO decent games. Let's not forget how expensive and large it is.
            With all due respect.....you sir a a knowledgeless ****.
            A)The PS2 is so underpowered, lacking a line up of decent games aside from MGS3, and is MORE EXPENSIVE than either the X-Box or cube(where did you get that the Xbox is expensive), yes the PS2 has franchises such as Tomb Raider and Resi Evil BUT the last Tomb Raider afer spending years in delayed development was an awful game, and the Resi Evil franchise only reaches to a rushed remake of Code Veronica and the Gun Survivor/Outbreak series i.e. SPIN OFFS not the official main series which is now exclusive to GC. If you had noticed the PS2 doe's not have the best designers on board as designers such as Tecmo, Bungie, Capcom etc have all signed exclusives with Microsoft or Nintendo. Granted it can play PSone games but so can a mid-range PC with the right emulator or even a DC. This is not to say a PS2 is not worth owning but is not a recomendation if you are yet to to own either of the other consoles.

B)Most of what you say about the Cube is fairly true APART from the claim that it's not doing well, this is a rumor that started to spread when Dixons and Argos stoped stocking the Cube. I work in a Gamestation store and can assure you that the cube and its games sell just aswell as either of the other two consoles. Infact Nintendo made more in the console market last year than Microsoft.

C)The Xbox is worth the time of anyone who considers themselves a gamer. So the X-Box lacks decent games, right including Ninja Gaidan, PGR2, Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Links, Top Spin, RalliSport 2, Dead or Alive 3 and thats just a few theres tons out. And the X-box has a great line up for this year including Halo 2, Fable, Sudeki, ShellShock Nam:'67, Area 51, Burnout 3, Outrun 2, Star Wars: Battlefront/Republic Commando plus loads more. The X-Box is not expensive, granted it is big but thats only due to the conveniance of the HD instead of memory cards and the capability for custom soundtracks/content downloads and you have to make sacrifices for sheer raw power some times.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but as a serious gamer and due to working in computer game retail I get quite annoyed when people with little or incorrect knowedge start talking off about gaming. No disrespect to you but just read up about stuff before you start talking bout it.

To tie this up, go for an X-Box first and a GC if you get another console.
            Whitster, Out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
              Actually...wasn't Xbox CHEAPER than the ps2 until E3, when Sony dropped the price to compete with the Xbox??
              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

actually, in ireland, last time i checked.
                GC 149.99 with one game, most places.
                PS2 199.99 (cheap) with one game or if a special edition colour, i'm not even sure you get a game with it.
                X-Box, 199.99 with 2 classic games, and there are some deals where you get 4 classic games (and a dvd playback kit in some cases) for about 219.99.

unless someone can correct me on that.

Comment

What currency is that in? Here in the US, it was GC: $99.99, XBox: $149.99, PS2 $199.99, its the same now, except with PS2 down to $149.99
                  "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
                    With all due respect.....you sir a a knowledgeless ****.
                    A)The PS2 is so underpowered, lacking a line up of decent games aside from MGS3, and is MORE EXPENSIVE than either the X-Box or cube(where did you get that the Xbox is expensive), yes the PS2 has franchises such as Tomb Raider and Resi Evil BUT the last Tomb Raider afer spending years in delayed development was an awful game, and the Resi Evil franchise only reaches to a rushed remake of Code Veronica and the Gun Survivor/Outbreak series i.e. SPIN OFFS not the official main series which is now exclusive to GC. If you had noticed the PS2 doe's not have the best designers on board as designers such as Tecmo, Bungie, Capcom etc have all signed exclusives with Microsoft or Nintendo. Granted it can play PSone games but so can a mid-range PC with the right emulator or even a DC. This is not to say a PS2 is not worth owning but is not a recomendation if you are yet to to own either of the other consoles.

B)Most of what you say about the Cube is fairly true APART from the claim that it's not doing well, this is a rumor that started to spread when Dixons and Argos stoped stocking the Cube. I work in a Gamestation store and can assure you that the cube and its games sell just aswell as either of the other two consoles. Infact Nintendo made more in the console market last year than Microsoft.

C)The Xbox is worth the time of anyone who considers themselves a gamer. So the X-Box lacks decent games, right including Ninja Gaidan, PGR2, Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Links, Top Spin, RalliSport 2, Dead or Alive 3 and thats just a few theres tons out. And the X-box has a great line up for this year including Halo 2, Fable, Sudeki, ShellShock Nam:'67, Area 51, Burnout 3, Outrun 2, Star Wars: Battlefront/Republic Commando plus loads more. The X-Box is not expensive, granted it is big but thats only due to the conveniance of the HD instead of memory cards and the capability for custom soundtracks/content downloads and you have to make sacrifices for sheer raw power some times.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but as a serious gamer and due to working in computer game retail I get quite annoyed when people with little or incorrect knowedge start talking off about gaming. No disrespect to you but just read up about stuff before you start talking bout it.

To tie this up, go for an X-Box first and a GC if you get another console.
                    Whitster, Out.
                    You sir, have no manners.

Did I ever say PS2 wa smore powerful? NO. I admit it has the least power of them all.

I tend to ignore all X-Box news completely. When it came out it was £300 and PS2 was £200 I have no idea what price it is now, because frnakly I don't care. PS2 does have some good franchises on it. Survivor and Outbreak MAY be spin offs. But Spin offs are good. I am looking forward to Outbreak, and enjoy Dead Aim very much.

Regarding the claim that Gamecube's not doing well, I take this straight out of the mouth of a "Game" shop assistant. US gamecubes may be doing just peachy, but I know for a fact that theyve slowed down UK production, and notice how few games there are on the shelves?

I am a serious gamer, I just cannot stand the XBOX what so ever. Every single game that i've played on it that is NOT available on PS2 or game cube (with the exception of Halo) has been tottally boring and not worth my time. I'd rather have FUN and play on a classic game like Sonic than be bored and "mature" and play on some boring game that is dark and dingy or another racer clone! Bloody hell, i DO read about this stuff.

The XBOX is more expensive than the GC, maybe not the PS2, but I've had no reason to check prices as I have all the consoles I want.

Admittadly, GC in my opinion has the BEST franchises, doesnt mean the PS2 doesnt have good ones.

Now you prove to me that the PS2 is more expensive and i'll take that bit back.

You obviously arent very mature at all if you cant have the decency to question somone politely before you call them a ****.

EDIT: we have GC at £80
                    PS2 at £140
                    XBOX: £130

I admit defeat on the basis of price. I havent kept up to date with XBOX prices... you know... I dont actually work in a game store... so theres no reason for me too.

But my other arguments are sound.

I consider myself a true gamer, I'm a relic from the Sega/Nintendo war... I miss those days, and I miss the dreamcast. That was far superior to any of the consoles available now... not in power or graphics obviously (with exception of the PS2) but boy, did it have nice games or what! The first ever console to bring us Sonic Adventure. The ports of res 2 and the original Res CV were excellent. The first ever online gaming, it was affordable and easy to use! It had gems such as Phantasy Star Online and, one of my personal favorites that never got enough recognition; Blue Stinger.

It's taken a lot to get me to buy a PS2, they destroyed the gamers niche that I liked so much... but in the end the promise of good games and franchises settled it for me. I bought a PS2 when I BELIEVED that it would house the future of Res games... this was two days before they revealed the GC exclusivness... Anyhow... it's not a bad console... but I refuse to let myself be swayed by the corporate giant microsoft. I am NOT a pc gamer, and in my opinion, XBOX is best for PC gamers... Not for relics from the Sega era like myself. I have no liking for racing game... thats where XBOX excels... I like survival horror, ps2 and GC satisfy me there, when i want a cheery fun game I go to GC. Simple.

My dislike for XBOX comes from the fact that it doesnt hold exclusivly any games that I actually like. *shrugs*
                    Last edited by Flyboy; 26 May 2004, 02:14 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Guys. I didn't expect to get such a huge response (and even a fully fledged argument )

I've approved all of your posts on this thread, apart from those that gave me a "you have to spread around your favour a bit more". So, your rep will probably be increased a bit.

Thanks again.
                      Godspeed, Don.

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
                        What currency is that in? Here in the US, it was GC: $99.99, XBox: $149.99, PS2 $199.99, its the same now, except with PS2 down to $149.99
                        the prices i posted are in euros. sorry i didn't clarify that in the original post.

Comment

Working...
                        X