Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anja View Post
    Imagine the situation and the circumstances - would you think of bees and flowers then???
    More like tropical beaches and warm seas. All things warm...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I love this episode, but... the more I watch it, the more irritated I get by minor things, like Teal'c wanting to go through the gate right after he hears it needs repair, or the seismological event matching their malfunction "to the second". Little script glitches that went by unnoticed when the episode was new to me, but grate now that I know it so well.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I never understood why they did not think of a second stargate on Earth in the first place - they thought of near by planets but not of Earth itself. Maybe the ep would have been too short then.
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

I never really understood why Carter never tried another address, but I guess we'll cover that snafu with the veil of "she was cold and in shock"... And then she went on in Deathknell to be all awesome and yet there too she was hurt and quite possible in some sort of shock.

Comment

See, I don't get why people are so hung up on the fact Carter made a mistake.

First, there had been nothing in the show to that point to indicate there was a Stargate closer to Earth than Ernest's planet and/or Abydos.

Second, she was suffering from hypothermia, (Effect of Mild Hypothermia on Decision Making). Note: I was not able to access this article from work, so cannot promise the link works.

Third, she was stressed and short on sleep.

The idea that she should have thought to dial a different planet is, IMO, Monday Morning Quarterbacking at its finest.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I never really understood why Carter never tried another address, but I guess we'll cover that snafu with the veil of "she was cold and in shock"... And then she went on in Deathknell to be all awesome and yet there too she was hurt and quite possible in some sort of shock.
              About the Death Knell comment, she had 7 years of experience behind her and was running mostly on adrenaline in order to keep away from that soldier.

Comment

When she joined the Stargate program she mentioned she'd done some fighter jet flying. Didn't sound like a noob either. She'd seen combat, even if from far above.

Comment

I think Carter is/was a soldier like any other soldier - experienced, tough and strong. In Solitudes (maybe) her secret feelings towards O'Neill might have influenced her decisions - she knew he was dying without any help. I think we all would have been a bit disturbed under those circumstances.
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

This episode will always be the one where I can't help but think "Why did Carter not try any other addresses?" -- it's not too much of a stretch when something doesn't work.

It's a pretty static episode, but the one where the second gate is introduced and the site in Antarctica which will later be the starting point of Atlantis. It's a pretty linear episode too where we have Carter and O'Neill in one place, and the Jackson and Teal'c at the SGC, and all of them are trying to figure out what happened and where Sam and Jack are.

Also, Siler getting some action -- our very own stargate repair man. Always comes in handy.

It's a pretty decent episode.

How would you rate SG-1's "Solitudes?"

Excellent
                    Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible

Comment

Bringing forth the 3-episode quiz:

Solitudes -- Tin Man -- There But For The Grace Of God

Jigsaw --> Solitudes
                      Last edited by Falcon Horus; 26 November 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The "why didn't Carter just dial another address" issue always bugs me.

She was injured (at the least, she almost certainly had a concussion). She was stressed (worried, cold, short on both fluids and food). She had no reason to think they were on Earth. All of those things affected her thought processes. It would be more remarkable, IMO, if she had thought to dial another planet.

Seaboe

Comment

I have never been one who likes this episode. I know that goes against the grain of conventional wisdom of fandom but I just get bored with this episode. Plus I agree wit you FH that they should of tried dialing another planet if Earth wasn't working. Something with a temperate climate. Their have been great character pieces with locking two characters in a room but to me this isn't one of them. The interaction between Jack and Sam seems forced especially Carter trying to keep Jack alive. I don't buy the honor since they haven't worked that long together. I was more interested in the SGC stuff. As we learn later having two gates and what happens when you direct too much energy at a gate are important later on. Plus their is Siler who acts a little different then he does in later epiosdes. Its a fair for me.

Holy Bacon, what are you trying to do to me with a puzzle that big FH. It took me an hour and 3 minutes. We are never doing that again
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I have never been one who likes this episode. I know that goes against the grain of conventional wisdom of fandom but I just get bored with this episode. Plus I agree wit you FH that they should of tried dialing another planet if Earth wasn't working. Something with a temperate climate. Their have been great character pieces with locking two characters in a room but to me this isn't one of them. The interaction between Jack and Sam seems forced especially Carter trying to keep Jack alive. I don't buy the honor since they haven't worked that long together. I was more interested in the SGC stuff. As we learn later having two gates and what happens when you direct too much energy at a gate are important later on. Plus their is Siler who acts a little different then he does in later epiosdes. Its a fair for me.

Holy Bacon, what are you trying to do to me with a puzzle that big FH. It took me an hour and 3 minutes. We are never doing that again
                            They could have dialed the Alpha site. But I guess that was a real brain fart for Carter.
                            Probably didn't realize that there could have been something wrong with the Earth gate and therefore not be able to dial it.

And I saw that puzzle and I was like "nope".
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

That seems like a very poor version of logic for someone who is supposed to be a genius.

I did the puzzle on my day off so that helped
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                That seems like a very poor version of logic for someone who is supposed to be a genius.

I did the puzzle on my day off so that helped
                                Well I didn't have a day off when I saw it.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X