Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitudes (117)

Default Re: Solitudes (117)

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringStar
    Com'n MC.... mention the thing. Share with us the thing. I think I may remember what you said about the thing. But now I'm not sure.

Com'n.... spill the beans!
    don't tempt me.
    I have given up talking about the thing for a New Year's Resolution.
    so there.
    *sits on hands*

oh but... my sig is still there
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sits on hats?

Default Not to mention the impossibility of air coming all the way down from the Troposphere

MC, don't ever watch The Day After Tomorrow. Hats and gloves are abandoned with... abandon.

Madeleine

Captain

Definitely up there as one of my all time favourite episodes, this one. It just has it all. Great tension and plot, nice twist, some terrific humour, team action, S/J...I could do with more of these 'two people in a room' episodes. Like Tangent, too. Especially when they're written as well as this.

I've seen the 'why didn't Sam trying dialling something other than Earth' question many times, but have to say that that's something that never really struck me as particularly puzzling. I mean, come on, give the woman a break here. She's exhausted, freezing...how well would your brain work in an extreme chill factor and when you've been awake for as many hours straight as Sam has? I think it's amazing she was as compost mental (as my husband would say) as she was!

I think that she was barely hanging on, fogged with exhaustion, and was barely able to manage focusing on one thing. That one thing - dialling home - took on so much importance it became like tunnel vision, shutting out everything else. When you're about to die, when you're body is shutting down and fighting to remain awake and alert, getting home becomes the paramount survival thought in your head. Especially when you feel duty bound to get a wounded and dying superior officer whose fate you feel responsible for back home safe too. That single thought - home - must just have kept pulsing on in there in Sam's head, I'd reckon.

So it's never been a problem for me, this one. It's always seemed perfectly logical and human that Sam wouldn't think of dialling somewhere else in those circumstances. She's not a machine. Just human like the rest of us.

I feel for you on those spoilers! I love watching the trailers on the DVDs (or I did until SciFi took over and did those terrible ones), but boy I don't know how you put up with them spoiling episodes. They seem to do it with extreme regularity. Like the one for Double Jeopardy which focused on the fact that SG1 were going to have to help their robot doubles. Completely destroying the element of surprise since we aren't made aware they are robot doubles and not our SG1 until halfway through the episode. Gits.
    Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

The "sidearm" comment has fuelled many a fanfic.
    http://members.shaw.ca/userkey/user_...nky1ani1uj.gif YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Earth Symbol Re: Solitudes (117)

Quote Originally Posted by morjana
    This is my all time favorite SG-1 episode.

It's a team episode, all though the team is working in two separate components.

And we learn so much about Jack in this episode.

Nice touches of humor, some great background, and some nice foreshadowing for the seasons to come.

Morjana
    I love Sam's compassion when she comes to terms with the fact that they'll both die from exposure - so she responds to him as though she were Sara, giving him comfort and letting him know he wasn't alone and that their ordeal would soon be over...
    http://www.uberamandafan.com/assets/...ans/ateyes.jpg
    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ejay_angel.jpg

What if the telephone question went like this:

DJ asked Teal'c about the telephone.
    DJ: Wrong person to ask. (Turns to Hammond) What happens when you dial your own cellphone number?
    Hammond: You need to put in your password.
    DJ, looking congused: Let me rephase that. What happens when you dial your own phone number at home?
    Hammond: You get a busy signal.

Quote Originally Posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I love Sam's compassion when she comes to terms with the fact that they'll both die from exposure - so she responds to him as though she were Sara, giving him comfort and letting him know he wasn't alone and that their ordeal would soon be over...
    you know I like an awful lot about this ep. Not least the desperation as Daniel and Teal'c (and Hammond) try to work out what happened to Sam & Jack.

However, they would die a lot slower if...

no... I can't mention the thing.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Just saw this ep (going through all the eps on DVD so i can catch up). I didn't know they were on Antartica before hand but figured it out right away cause i knew there was a gate from Anartica from many later eps. Thats one thing that really sucks about not starting with a series from the beginning, you have alot of things spoiled for you.

Loved this ep despite me knowing. Great interaction between Sam and Jack (bet Sam/Jack shippers loved this ep). I love Jack and his remarks "It's my sidearm i swear."

The only question i have about this ep is: Whats the thing?

Chief Master Sergeant Im_just_guessing's Avatar

Hats, if they wore Hats they would die slower.

But I disagree. They were coming from a HOT planet (evidence: The planet was reddish), the hats probably had built in cooling!
    FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...AJ/sg_war1.gif

How hot is Mars? It's red, right?

Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Im_just_guessing
    Hats, if they wore Hats they would die slower.

But I disagree. They were coming from a HOT planet (evidence: The planet was reddish), the hats probably had built in cooling!
    Well, working as hard as they were on chopping the ice, they might not have felt cold at first. But they should have known basic hypothermia prevention.

First Lieutenant Hex.FTB.enabled's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morjana
    This is my all time favorite SG-1 episode.

It's a team episode, all though the team is working in two separate components.

And we learn so much about Jack in this episode.

Nice touches of humor, some great background, and some nice foreshadowing for the seasons to come.

Morjana
    My sentiments exactly. Even though you know it has to work out in the end, you can feel the desperation of everyone. I felt that we got to learn a lot about all the characters, a crisis always gives great character insights. The interaction with Sam and Jack was very touching (whether you're a shipper or not), as was Daniel and Teal'c working so hard to get their friends back. And to top it off, this episode gave us some of the classic Stargate quotes!
    "It's my sidearm I swear"
    "What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask."
    -Not to mention one of my favorite outtakes-
    "I'm trapped on an iceberg with MacGyver!"
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

http://img102.echo.cx/img102/2473/kodama29vo7sm.gif http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ner2_copy6.jpg

Zat Re: Solitudes (117)

Definetely one of my favorites.

I would think that if you couldn't dial Earth, you'd want to dial anywhere that was warmer. My only focus would be to get warmer.

The busy signal line was cool though.
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...

Zat Re: Solitudes (117)

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringStar
    ...still love Jack's line : “It’s my sidearm, I swear…” and Sam's giggles afterward. (That whole piece seemed very natural and more like adlib than scripted, wonder how much was/wasn't....)
    Your apparently weird thought processes aside...I know I'd've been laughing if I had to deliver that dialogue on camera!

Chief Master Sergeant

Just re-watched this one - definitley one of the best SG-1 episodes of all time. I've been re-watching a lot of season 1 lately, and most aren't that good. But Solitudes is just amazing. It might even be in the top 10 epsidoes of the whole series.

Second Lieutenant ApophisOfTheStargateRealm's Avatar

lol...this was a good one, nice to see hammond off site for once... the best part in the episode was

Sam: "Sir!"
    Jack: "I'ts my side arm, i swear"
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Quote Originally Posted by kelmah
    The "sidearm" comment has fuelled many a fanfic.
    I know. But it pretty much had to have been a sidearm, if you think about it. I mean, he's in the process of freezing to death, with at least one broken bone that's been improperly set and who knows how many other problems. Plus he's tired and hungry. Under the circumstances, I doubt he'd have been aroused by Mary Steenburgen (this is Jack, after all) doing a striptease right in front of him.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...

Lightbulb Re: Solitudes (117)

Quote Originally Posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    That's the main thing that bothered me about this episode !
    I know Jack had several serious injuries,...but at least he had the sense to keep his head warm at all costs !!
    I mean,if Sam had been following basic survival training,she'd have kept her helmet on.
    (I'm assuming that the helmet was fully lined,btw.No sense in keeping it on, if there was no insulation against the extreme cold .)

Conclusion:The Director made her do it !
    Reality aside ( ), it would have been more difficult to connect with Sam had the hat been hiding her face. 'Solitudes' is an emotional episode, and the hat would have either been in the way of or cast a shadow over AT's visage, effectively emotionally removing her off from the audience.

Just saw this episode again on Sky One last night (or was it the night before that? Can't quite remember....) Anyway, I really like this episode and it's probably one of my favourites from the earlier seasons. I loved Daniel in this episode for some reason....

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast