Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitudes (117)

Stargate Solitudes (117)

Visit the Episode GuideDISCUSS ...
    SOLITUDES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 117

Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter are separated from Jackson and Teal'c during a Stargate journey, and are trapped on a desolate ice world with no way of escape.

Visit the Episode Guide >>
    Last edited by Darren; January 24th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Default Re: Solitudes (117)

Great episode. One of my top five of all seasons, perhaps the most rewatchable and a great episode to use to introduce newbies to SG-1 The outtakes from AT from this ep in "The Lowdown" are hilarious.
    Slainte gg
    Last edited by Slainte; May 3rd, 2004 at 04:40 PM.

I agree this episode is on my top 10 list, and those out takes were great
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Probie

This one frequently floats into my top 10 list depending on my mood. Broken bones, internal bleeding, hypothermia, frustrating searches, desperation... what's not to love. A great episode even with the lack of hat.

Zat Re: Solitudes (117)

This is my all time favorite SG-1 episode.

It's a team episode, all though the team is working in two separate components.

And we learn so much about Jack in this episode.

Nice touches of humor, some great background, and some nice foreshadowing for the seasons to come.

Morjana

And of course the great Jack one-liner about his sidearm! I do like this episode. Carter working so hard to chip away ice from the DHD while trying to keep the Colonel alive - overall grace under extreme pressure. However, when she emerges and looks across the snowfield, she assumes they're on an ice planet. Now, how many times has the team made an assumption about an entire planet based on the location of or people around the gate itself?
    Nmom

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

erm.. Every episode where they end up on another planet?
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

Airman

Great episode-----definitely on my top 10 list. Didn't see the answer coming at all until Daniel witnessed the tremor in the SGC.

Say, did anyone out there ever catch any identifying marks on the frozen Jaffa to figure out if he was one of Ra's soldiers?
    There is nothing cruvas with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard-VA
    Didn't see the answer coming at all
    If you see the episode on TV sometime, view the Guide Info about the episode, It says something like: 'O'Neill and Carter are trapped in Antarctica'. Talk about spoilers for the episode
    ~BCM =)

Also there's a little more of O'Niell's backstory as well as the introduction of a second gate, which opens up alot of speculation and possiblities.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by bcmilco
    If you see the episode on TV sometime, view the Guide Info about the episode, It says something like: 'O'Neill and Carter are trapped in Antarctica'. Talk about spoilers for the episode
    Yeah, the episode summaries on TV definitely spoil the endings for many shows. I was actually fortunate because I didn't start watching SG-1 until the DVDs came out. I had seen a few episodes here and there (maybe 4 or 5) but none of them from the first season. After buying season one, I started watching on a Friday night, got completely addicted by the sixth episode and wound up watching the entire first season by the end of the weekend! No commercials, no previews, no spoilers. That was a GOOD weekend! Started going through withdrawal symptoms waiting to get season two, however!

Now, how many times has the team made an assumption about an entire planet based on the location of or people around the gate itself?
    Nothing wrong with that. As we all know all planets except Earth are only about 40 square miles in size. Earth is just unusually large.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmilco
    Puh-leese! That for real? Channel 4 introduced the ep as 'The Ice Planet'

There was one thing I didn't get about this episode......

If dialling Earth on the second gate didn't work then why didn't Carter simply try another address? To be sure that it wasn't just Earth that couldn't be gated to?

Scientists are generally trained to ASSUME that if one thing doesn't work, other similar things won't work. Also, O'Neill was in need of medical attention, I'm not at all sure that Carter could have moved him through the gate more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard-VA
    Say, did anyone out there ever catch any identifying marks on the frozen Jaffa to figure out if he was one of Ra's soldiers?
    It's hard to tell, all we see is his hand through the ice. Sam says he's a serpent guard.

Last edited by Zoidman; May 18th, 2004 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G
    Puh-leese! That for real? Channel 4 introduced the ep as 'The Ice Planet'
    Yes, it's for real.
    ~BCM =)

Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDirewolf
    Scientists are generally trained to ASSUME that if one thing doesn't work, other similar things won't work.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm a "computer scientist" and part of my training and eperience has tought me to try ever possibility no matter how unlikely it is to work. (Especially if it's a Microsoft product )

I'm not saying I would have thought to dial another planet, at that time, I'm just saying I doubt her training would lead her to make such an assumption, rather I think she was so focused on getting back to EARTH that it never entered her mind to try another planet.
    ~BCM =)

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidman
    It's hard to tell, all we see is his hand through the ice. Sam says he's a serpent guard.

Thank you for the great detective work!

This now leads me into my next question on goa'uld visitations to earth. If the Jaffa in Antartica is a serpent guard (one of Apophis's goons) and this gate was lost before the folks at Giza threw Ra out and buried the gate, doesn't this imply that Ra gained control of the planet from Apophis? Not that this really matters much, but I don't recall anything mentioned about it in the series (although maybe I blinked and missed it). Anyway, the early goa'uld chronology of events on earth might make for an interesting story at some point.

Hammond is to blame for Sam not trying another address; she has hypothermia as an excuse.

He should have, as part of a risk assessment, have considered the possibility that an SG team might urgently need to leave a planet where they are under fire from hostiles, but not want to come to the SGC, or not be able to. If the Jaffa chasing them had shot and damaged the GDO, if the Earth gate was in use at the time of the emergency, or if the DHD didn't have the right symbols then they ought to have a 'spare' address, possibly the Alpha site, possibly an empty and harmless planet, where they could regroup and sit tight until they can contact Earth or Earth come to find them.

Or if they needed to get out fast but they were themselves a danger to the SGC due to some contagion. Like in Bane, when the bugs were chasing them, it would have made more sense for them to dial a 'spare' planet.

Not really Hammond's finest hour. But Solitudes was such a great story that I'll forgive him. Just.

Madeleine