Do the Wraith sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Wraith sleep?

SOmething that I was just idally wondering.

Seeing as how they seem to directly absorb energy,and are thus sort of like batteries.
    I would think that they are running on that charge and don't appear to eat it would appear to me that they would have to sleep or even take naps.
    They would need to being as how they would sorta be like a rechargable battery.
    Able to just keep going till their charge wore down.
    Depending on how much effort or strain one was under.
    At least that is what I was wondering..

So how far off am I?
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Not getting any sleep is probably what makes them so cranky.

Comment

They hibernate.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        Not getting any sleep is probably what makes them so cranky.
        That and being up all nite means the only thing on TV are infomercials.

Thats gottta suck too.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

Based on how human/mammal like they are I'd guess that they would, but I don't think the show ever hinted one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            Based on how human/mammal like they are I'd guess that they would, but I don't think the show ever hinted one way or the other.
            I concur...the show never hinted at the wraith sleeping habits with the exception of the hibernation cycle which the Atlantis crew disrupted.
            sigpic

Comment

How would the insect part of their nature effect that?
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                How would the insect part of their nature effect that?
                I don't think insects sleep, but all the ones we know of also have extraordinarily simple brains, so they're not really comparable to something that can hold a conversation with you in the spaceship it built.

All the more intelligent creatures on Earth like Birds and Mammals and of course Humans do sleep though, so it seems to have some tie in with brain size/function. That wound suggest strongly that Wraith, being both half human as well as highly intelligent, would also require sleep.

Comment

Todd is seen sleeping in Common ground. Granted his is wounded, but when Sheppard tell him to get some sleep, he do lay down on the ground and obviously some time pass before he jolts awake again when the Genii soldiers are near.

Steve is shown sitting on a bench in his cell, his head down and he appears to be meditating or sleeping. Sheppard say something similar to sorry to wake you in a sarcastic tone.

The queen in charge of the closing facility is seen sleeping or unconscious on her throne, she seams to be sleeping to me and her commander says, wake her, to his underlings. To me she seams exhausted by providing the genetic material for the cloned drones, and it may be why she is going it.

Ellia in instinct have a bed in her room. She and her adopted father had to find and make by hand everything they needed so it would be strange if they where to put allot of effort into making something she would not use.

The show do not directly say that wraith sleep, but they do indicate with with these scenes. Also they wraith consume energy directly and that might affect how much sleep they need, they might not need sleep to recharge. However humans and other animals do sleep not just to recharge but also to allow the brain to release tension and process things it have experienced during the day.

I don't think insects sleep, but all the ones we know of also have extraordinarily simple brains, so they're not really comparable to something that can hold a conversation with you in the spaceship it built.
                  Actually most insects do sleep, they do not sleep exactly like we do if for no other reason that sleep the way advanced mammals do required hormones and functions of the brain which a insect just do not have, do insects enters a rest state called torpor where their bodies slow down, they react slower to stimuli though they can snap out of it in seconds, however the reason why insects can not sleep the way a mammal do is because their brains are not advanced enough for it, a wraith would not have that problem.

I think wraith sleeps, however my guess is that their sleep if not be exactly like human sleep. The clone facility queen and Steve both where seen sleeping while sitting and would rouse at a moment's notice. I suspect wraith sleep much like insects do actually, that they more enter a deep meditative state which allow their brains to relax but where they are ready to spring into action immediately, though probably is is learned behavior, young wraiths and when to wounded to keep it up they would probably sleep more similar to how humans sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    They hibernate.
                    that is correct

Comment

Bears hibernate to, that do not mean they do not sleep when they are not hibernating. Wraith also hibernate for the same reason bears do, to avoid a problem with food shortage.

This whole discussion reminds me of a lullaby from my childhood. One of the verses go like this:

Himmelen er så svær mor,
                      med klare stjerner på,
                      tror du noen bor mor,
                      på stjernen i det blå,
                      tror du det finnes gutter mor,
                      som titter ned til meg,
                      og tror du de har pute mor,
                      og sover slik som meg?

(Translation:

The heavens is so wast mother,
                      with bright stars on it,
                      do you think anyone live mother,
                      on the star in the blue,
                      do you think there are boys mother,
                      who looks down at me,
                      and do you think they have pillows mother,
                      and sleep the way I do?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hagazussa View Post
                        I think wraith sleeps, however my guess is that their sleep if not be exactly like human sleep. The clone facility queen and Steve both where seen sleeping while sitting and would rouse at a moment's notice. I suspect wraith sleep much like insects do actually, that they more enter a deep meditative state which allow their brains to relax but where they are ready to spring into action immediately
                        I always thought this, though I compared it to goldfish, not bugs.
                        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Maybe its like the Jaffa and kilnoriem.
                          sigpic
                          Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                          "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          etc.....

Comment

I also agree that the Wraiths can also sleep too.
                            Kevin Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley2012 View Post
                              Maybe its like the Jaffa and kilnoriem.
                              It may be, but as shown above we have seen several instances where they do sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X