• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Christmas Carol (2010)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    A CHRISTMAS CAROL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3114 (514)

To save everyone on board a crashing ship the Doctor must change the heart of a bitter old man who controls the planet's clouds -- and who is holding has a beautiful young woman in cryonic stasis in his home.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 15 December 2011, 02:03 AM.

Just watched the Christmas Special, but dont know where to post,theres no official thread. So I might as well post here.

Well worth the wait. Something a little different, but different is good
    I loved the new spin on the the Scrooge story.
    Michael Gambon was brilliant as the grumpy old man (cant remember his name)
    Katherine Jenkins did get a bit boring with her singing though lol

And bloody hell, series 6 looks awesome!
    Spoiler:
    The Ood are back!
    And the Doctors going Wild Wild West
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 25 December 2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Overall this was much better than the others over the years, Michael Gambon was great as Scrooge, although Mr R says Patrick Stewart could do it better. The only thing that ruined it for me was Katherine £$%&!#& Jenkins, I'm sick to death of the sight of her this xmas, She can't bloody act either.

I'm so looking forward to the new series, looks really good
      Spoiler:
      even Mr R was interested in the Nazi episode, and he never watches DW

Comment

My favourite Special remains Christmas Invasion, but this is not just a close second but also the only one that really comes close. Wow, what an episode. Slightly confused as to why the Reapers didn't appear, but can live with it as the episode was awesome!

Comment

Brilliant Christmas tale in the spirit of decades gone by!

I loved this story so much, and despite not being a roller coaster ride, it's become my favourite of all the Xmas Specials.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

1. Good point about the Reapers. *interstellar ship entering plothole*

2. Ignoring plothole(let's assume that what the Doctor did wasn't big enough to get the Reaper's attention) his plan was pretty solid in theory - just blew up in his face due to something neither he nor I would have thought to double check.

3. Having said that, why wouldn't Sardek snr not have given Karzan control over the cloud machine? Karzen effectively became if not the same person in each timeline, then, well...as the Doctor said, he wasn't different enough and I'd dare say, not different enough for his father to notice.

4. Not too sure what I make of the ep being partially used to showcase some opera singer but that part of the story was solid enough.

Overall, a very different take on the Xmas specials and definately fun
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Welp, file me under "extremely disappointed". After the fantastic Series 31 (and the Christmas Specials of years past) I had pretty high expectations for this. But in the end it was just boring
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

clever that they incorporated the words "silence will fall" into the song the opera singer was singing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                  clever that they incorporated the words "silence will fall" into the song the opera singer was singing.
                  Ha! I didn't notice that.

This was the best Christmas special and one of the emotive episodes ever, emotive in regards to the Sardick/Abigail story. Great job from the cast and crew, and of course the Moff. Great CGI, incredible little story, wonderful dialogue and overall just an enjoyable ride to tie us over until the series returns, whilst at all times keeping to the theme of Christmas without having it too cheesy and overwhelmingly childlike. What this episode does very well and shifts the focus almost completely to the Doctor, unlike previous episodes which have often flipped between him and his companions in different places to further the story, and hat-off to Matt who once again cemented his place as one of the greatest and most lovable Doctors (even after just one series).

I think since Moff's intervention after the Specials this show has really reopened its doors to its dedicated veteran followers, as well as the next generation of Whovians. Well, well worth the wait (which is more than I could say for The End of Time). Bring on Series 6.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                    Didn't notice that, did like when Sardik refereed to the people in the vaults as "Surplus Population" wonder how many other Christmas Carol references were in there that I didn't get...

Did anyone else think the sound mix was a bit off here, a lot of the Doctor's funniest lines I only just caught and then I had to repeat them back to the family because they didn't hear it and just got my laughter. The one I remember best was the one about either kissing the girl or going back to your room to invent a new type of screwdriver: "learn from my mistake".

Comment

The Reapers may have very well not shown up because, simply...he wasn't that big of a deal. The Reapers showed up in force because the situations changed the life of not only a time traveler, but Rose Tyler, who eventually became...well...the super-power that she is/was. The size of the change that would amount from indirectly affecting Amy Pond (in a non-paradoxical way) by if she lived/died there, and between changing the existing Rose, may simply have been vastly different

In other words, it could be a Companion/Time Lord/etc thing where Reapers will exist, yeah, but you only see them like that when the Doctor or his companions themselves are changed.

Comment

I can buy that explanation. Thanks.

Comment

LOOOOVED IT

this was the best one so far =) moffat has a really good grip on time travel and using it so it makes sense.
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Definitely one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes. I think this one is actually the most Christmas-y off all the specials. While I loved last years The End of Time, this one in time may actually grow to my favorite Christmas Special.

Comment

Awesome-coated awesome with a Christmassy filling.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                              X