Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions you've always wondered about but never asked or found answers

Questions you've always wondered about but never asked or found answers to:

Well I saw this somewhere else and I thought it would be a good idea for here. There have been a few things that have bugged me and I have decided to share. I'll add more as I think of them.
    ---
    How did Apophis dial back when he got to Earth in COTG?
    Why did he go to Earth? Why did he go along with the expedition?
    ---
    Why didn't they ever collect all the weapons that were always left lying around once they killed all the Jaffa? In "Enemy Mine" Daniel explained that they use naquadah in the weapons, but they also have a powerful power source. Not to mention their standing orders were to gather advanced alien tech. If for nothing else they could have melted them down or used to parts.
    ---
    If Naquahdah enhances explosions then why didn't the gate blow up all those times? Thor's ship etc...And if the gate can survive a ship explosion then why didn't the one on Aphopis's/Klorel's ship survive?
    Furthermore it was pretty clear that Daniel waited until the last possible second to gate out of that ship, just before it exploded, so how did Apophis and Klorel escape? And why don't the staff weapons explode if they're made of naquahdah?
    ---
    When all the Replicators were called back to that planet by the Asgard, why they just didn't blow up the entire planet since they were all gathered there.
    ---
    In the episode 2001 they leave the ambassador on the planet with the Ashen. What happened to him? Died? unlikely considering the Ashen weren't savage. I'm guessing he was either locked away or put to work on a farm somewhere.
    But what about when the SGC get Asgard beaming technology (and Asgard sensors), couldn't they have gone to the Ashen planet and beamed up some useful tech? Surely they could've followed up 2010 and 2001 with another storyline? Why didn't they go back to rescue the ambassador? (poor fella)
    ---
    At the end of Wormhole Xtreme Jack says to Tanner "You officially owe me one". So why didn't he ever collect? Or why didn't Tanner pay him back (it could've been in the form of a package dropped off)?
    ---
    I was wondering if someone knew what screensaver they use on their computer, in particular Daniel's PC. I noticed it in more than one episode (continuity ftw).
    ---
    They used to jump out of the Stargate like it was a rough-as-guts ride. What ever happened to that? Now they just casually walk through. Some of the old episodes they had ice/water on their faces.
    ---
    in The Curse, Osiris wants to know the location of the Stargate (chappa'ai anyone?) but then pulls out a ship. Why bother with the Stargate? And why didn't she call it a chappa'ai?
    ---
    Why didn't they ever go back to the planet of Lt Tyler (The Fifth Man)? The episode indicated he was alright at the end.
    ---
    Here's a big goof: In the movie the gate shakes everything a lot. In the episode Solitudes they detect the second gate because of the shake. General Hammond says the reason they don't feel the shake in the base anymore is because they did something to stop it (frequency dampeners or something). So why doesn't all the other gates shake everything when not at the base? Eg. the episode 1969 et al.
    ---
    When Daniel tries to stop Anubis and Omar stops him, Anubis says it wasn't him. Why did he do that? He could've used it to convince everyone he is indeed all-powerful. And for that matter how did Omar stop him? Didn't they have the same power? Or was her mojo bigger than his?
    ---
    In episode Abyss how do you suppose Jack O'Neill escaped from Ba'al's secret planet? He couldn't have had his GDO with him and General Hammond wasn't keen on letting SG-1 rescue him. So what happened? How did he get back to the SGC?
    ---
    Did the Alpha/Beta sites ever have iris's? It would make sense to have one.
    ---
    If Anubis had access to Tollan technology or was impervious to it, why didn't he ever use the phase shifting tech? Why didn't he ever bother trying to learn what they know?
    ---
    That asteroid that almost collided with Earth had a **** load of Naquahdah in it. Why didn't they try to mine this, or at least present an explanation for why they couldn't get it? And it's not like they completely forgot about the episode, the asteroid was mentioned again. Why didn't they try to mine the asteroids that they got this one from? So much naquahdah...
    ---
    The planet where Bra'tac and Teal'c's son were imprisoned had an energy forcefield like the SGC's iris. Who put it there, why was it only there and not elsewhere? I found this one weird. Surely there were other planets more worthy of a shield to protect them?
    ---
    So who were the aliens in the episode Grace?
    ---
    In the episode "Fallout" they get into the drill with a Goa'uld who they don't trust, but they are armed. All of them are operating the drill. Why didn't they take someone else to specifically watch over the Goa'uld?
    ---
    In Window of Opportunity, whatsisname said he traded a lot of stuff for the shield generator. Why didn't SG-1 try to find out where he got it? Why didn't they try to trade him for it? They should have tried to get one, since their standing orders are to acquire advanced alien tech...
    ---
    How is it everyone speaks specifically English? Why not French or even ancient Egyptian? English wasn't invented till much later in Earth's history (after the Goa'uld left). Not only that, but it's a mish mash of other languages.
    ---
    How is it that Thor's ship explodes and takes out every replicator bar one, but the stargate is fully intact? Shouldn't it explode? It's made of naquahdah right?
    ---
    Why are Ha'taks tetrahedrons (3 sidedpyramid plus base) when the pyramids at Giza, Aydos, and everywhere else have been quadrilateral pyramids (4 sided plus base)? How the heck does a 3 sided ship land on a 4 sided pyramid?
    ---
    Why didn't Carter use the healing device that they had? Or the hand device? Clearly she was able and it would've come in handy.
    ---
    When the heck did the SGC gain access to a Trinium mine.
    ---
    Ok how about this one, it has been something that has bothered me for a VERY long time. How does the whole wormhole gate dialing technology work? Does it send a subspace signal to the receiving gate? What signal or communication does it send that notifies the receiving gate that the sending gate wants to form a connection?
    Also, I noticed that the receiving gate's chevrons light up when they are connecting, but there must be more than one gate with the same symbols, how does it know which one to connect to until it finishes the dialing? And it's not like it waits for the full address and then dials, it looks like it goes at the same time. So how does it know? Do, like, 5 receiving gates light up but then one by one they drop off until only one is left and it connects? And it's not like they enter the full address before it lights up. Anyone got an answer? Have I made a mistake? (I don't think so but maybe I didn't explain it properly)
    ---
    I love how the stargate knows when to wait for the last person and when to shut down. So many times the gate stays active until the last person steps through, sometimes it cuts out just as the last person barely walks through. It's like the magical Star Trek doors, which know when to open/close and when to stay closed/open when someone gets too close. This one has always bugged me (on both shows) as it seems so damn convenient and they never made fun of it in the 100th or 200th episodes.
    ---Thanks

Explained in Contiuum.

It was his job to pick new hosts and probably wanted to try Earth again as the Goa'uld tried every so often.

Why didn't they ever collect all the weapons that were always left lying around once they killed all the Jaffa? In "Enemy Mine" Daniel explained that they use naquadah in the weapons, but they also have a powerful power source. Not to mention their standing orders were to gather advanced alien tech. If for nothing else they could have melted them down or used to parts.
    We don't know that they didn't.

If Naquahdah enhances explosions then why didn't the gate blow up all those times? Thor's ship etc...And if the gate can survive a ship explosion then why didn't the one on Aphopis's/Klorel's ship survive?
    The stargate absorbs energy. It would only explode if too much is absorbed so those explosions didn't affect the gate.

Furthermore it was pretty clear that Daniel waited until the last possible second to gate out of that ship, just before it exploded, so how did Apophis and Klorel escape? And why don't the staff weapons explode if they're made of naquahdah?

Cargo ship, Alkesh, got to the Stargate first.

When all the Replicators were called back to that planet by the Asgard, why they just didn't blow up the entire planet since they were all gathered there.
    They may have disabled the bomb, had shields that could survive the explosion, or the if they attacked, could have left the planet.

In the episode 2001 they leave the ambassador on the planet with the Ashen. What happened to him? Died? unlikely considering the Ashen weren't savage. I'm guessing he was either locked away or put to work on a farm somewhere.

Was never explained what happened.

But what about when the SGC get Asgard beaming technology (and Asgard sensors), couldn't they have gone to the Ashen planet and beamed up some useful tech? Surely they could've followed up 2010 and 2001 with another storyline? Why didn't they go back to rescue the ambassador? (poor fella)
    The Aschen were able to stop the Goa'uld in the other timeline. The Aschen could have had weapons capable of destroying any ship.

At the end of Wormhole Xtreme Jack says to Tanner "You officially owe me one". So why didn't he ever collect? Or why didn't Tanner pay him back (it could've been in the form of a package dropped off)?

He never came back to Earth.

They used to jump out of the Stargate like it was a rough-as-guts ride. What ever happened to that? Now they just casually walk through. Some of the old episodes they had ice/water on their faces.
    Was explained early on. Was just a matter of making improvements to their computers.

in The Curse, Osiris wants to know the location of the Stargate (chappa'ai anyone?) but then pulls out a ship. Why bother with the Stargate? And why didn't she call it a chappa'ai?
    They tend to say Stargate when speaking in English, at least later on when the Goa'uld were speaking more English. Why bother with the gate, well if you want to conquer a planet, the gate is the best option.

Why didn't they ever go back to the planet of Lt Tyler (The Fifth Man)? The episode indicated he was alright at the end.

He went home, SG1 never knew where it was.

Here's a big goof: In the movie the gate shakes everything a lot. In the episode Solitudes they detect the second gate because of the shake. General Hammond says the reason they don't feel the shake in the base anymore is because they did something to stop it (frequency dampeners or something). So why doesn't all the other gates shake everything when not at the base? Eg. the episode 1969 et al.
    1969 they did a manual dial and moved the gate themselves, so no shaking and Solitudes, the gate was surrounded for a few thousand years by ice so the shaking was a side effect so it wasn't secured and any rapid movement caused snaking.

When Daniel tries to stop Anubis and Omar stops him, Anubis says it wasn't him. Why did he do that? He could've used it to convince everyone he is indeed all-powerful. And for that matter how did Omar stop him? Didn't they have the same power? Or was her mojo bigger than his?
    Oma is more powerful, or at least more experienced. As for not taking credit, Anubis doesn't need to take credit for other peoples acts.

In episode Abyss how do you suppose Jack O'Neill escaped from Ba'al's secret planet? He couldn't have had his GDO with him and General Hammond wasn't keen on letting SG-1 rescue him. So what happened? How did he get back to the SGC?
    Alpha Site, or a Tok'ra planet.

Not a first, but eventually they did.

If Anubis had access to Tollan technology or was impervious to it, why didn't he ever use the phase shifting tech? Why didn't he ever bother trying to learn what they know?
    Anubis had shields powerful enough to stop Tollan weapons, but not their technology. They still needed them to make them under threat of destruction

That asteroid that almost collided with Earth had a **** load of Naquahdah in it. Why didn't they try to mine this, or at least present an explanation for why they couldn't get it? And it's not like they completely forgot about the episode, the asteroid was mentioned again. Why didn't they try to mine the asteroids that they got this one from? So much naquahdah...
    We don't know that they didn't

The planet where Bra'tac and Teal'c's son were imprisoned had an energy forcefield like the SGC's iris. Who put it there, why was it only there and not elsewhere? I found this one weird. Surely there were other planets more worthy of a shield to protect them?

There were other planets, such as the planet Apophis was building his new mothership (SG1 had the armbands). Pointless to put them onto planets you expect a lot of gate activity

We don't know

In the episode "Fallout" they get into the drill with a Goa'uld who they don't trust, but they are armed. All of them are operating the drill. Why didn't they take someone else to specifically watch over the Goa'uld?
    The emotions of her host affected her.

In Window of Opportunity, whatsisname said he traded a lot of stuff for the shield generator. Why didn't SG-1 try to find out where he got it? Why didn't they try to trade him for it? They should have tried to get one, since their standing orders are to acquire advanced alien tech...

They can't go around trying to pick up items at the intergalactic Walmart.

How is it everyone speaks specifically English? Why not French or even ancient Egyptian? English wasn't invented till much later in Earth's history (after the Goa'uld left). Not only that, but it's a mish mash of other languages.
    Because it's an American show.

How is it that Thor's ship explodes and takes out every replicator bar one, but the stargate is fully intact? Shouldn't it explode? It's made of naquahdah right?
    Already answered

Why are Ha'taks tetrahedrons (3 sidedpyramid plus base) when the pyramids at Giza, Aydos, and everywhere else have been quadrilateral pyramids (4 sided plus base)? How the heck does a 3 sided ship land on a 4 sided pyramid?
    You know what, I have never noticed that before. However, the Goa'uld weren't the only ones to use pyramids. Maybe they didn't build the ones at Giza.

Why didn't Carter use the healing device that they had? Or the hand device? Clearly she was able and it would've come in handy.
    Because the stuff SGC use are weapons of war. A p90 to the face at long distance does more damage than standing over a guy for 30 seconds while you turn his brain into an omelette.

From the Native America tribe and their "Spirits" in the episode Spirits.

How does the whole wormhole gate dialing technology work? Does it send a subspace signal to the receiving gate? What signal or communication does it send that notifies the receiving gate that the sending gate wants to form a connection?
    Well sometimes it lights up slow, like one a symbol is being pressed at a time. Other times it's faster. Who is to say that it going faster isn't the gate just catching up.

I love how the stargate knows when to wait for the last person and when to shut down. So many times the gate stays active until the last person steps through, sometimes it cuts out just as the last person barely walks through
    Normally someone walks through, then it starts to shut down, but it's not until the very last second that someone else jumps in. as episodes went on, we saw how the SGC was able to turn the gate off as soon as everyone was in, so it's not just an issue of a gate turning off, but the SGC cutting the connection

sigpic

Comment

why does jack get cranky at the end of his tenture at the sgc
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

We hear the gate dialling. We see in Continuum that Apophis has a remote dialler.
        He gets to choose his own wife's body.

Naquadah is the power source. And the SG teams have to remain unencumbered in case they are set upon.

Gates are made of naquadah, but a stable form. If it was made of the raw naquadah, a simple current would make Earth go boom.

There could potentially be time.

We see that the staff weapons' naquadah is encased in something. We also don't know if liquid naquadah acts like solid naquadah.

Because something could potentially survive. Nothing survives a black hole.

We do not know. He could have been killed or imprisoned, but like many things, it is unanswerable.

Because the Aschen have starship, and going into their Confederation's territory would have alerted them to our interest in their area.

Wormhole X-treme and 200 are not canon.

I was wondering if someone knew what screensaver they use on their computer, in particular Daniel's PC. I noticed it in more than one episode (continuity ftw).
        No.

Canonically, miscalculations due to the lack of knowledge about the Stargate led them to later fix the problems, so that there would be no stumbling and no condensation on their bodies.

In terms of speed, what is quicker? A stargate or Osiris' ship?

That was not his planet. It is presumed he dialled his home planet. It is mentioned that his species is considering burying the Stargate.

The off-world gates are on a pedastal of sorts, and they usually look remarkably similar, to the point of the assumption that the Ancients or Goa'uld placed them there. Time-travel episodes are full of goofs. They constantly confuse me.

Her name's Oma. To answer, dramatic build up. Immediately after, he blows up a freaking planet. SG-1 and Rodney beat him, but let's ignore that. We do not know how Oma stopped him, but presumably by engaging in short battle with Daniel, then letting him realize who he was fighting, stopping and letting them talk about what happened.

Alpha Site, interception of an off-world team, various ways.

Unknown. Most likely, by now.

Because Anubis had access to much superior technology, that of the Ancients.

It has not been shown that the SGC or HWC can make an asteroidal mining base. Beside that fact, the SGC already has an offworld naquadah mine. An that Asteroid won't be going out of the system for a while, and it might even become a moon or something.

Presumably Apophis. Apophis, like all Goa'uld, was zealous of his technology. It is extremely unlikely he would have shared, and he would safeguard his most important planets.

Who do you think?

Well, all of them were operating the drill for a reason. They all needed to be.

What are they going to give to him of value?

Plot convenience. I would not like to spend all 42 minutes watching SG-1 attempt to understand their language.

How does a 3 sided ship land on a mountain? But it did. It can be assumed that clamps come out of the hollow bottom and secure the ship to the platform.

She did.

Off-episode.

Ok how about this one, it has been something that has bothered me for a VERY long time. How does the whole wormhole gate dialing technology work? Does it send a subspace signal to the receiving gate? What signal or communication does it send that notifies the receiving gate that the sending gate wants to form a connection?
        Also, I noticed that the receiving gate's chevrons light up when they are connecting, but there must be more than one gate with the same symbols, how does it know which one to connect to until it finishes the dialing? And it's not like it waits for the full address and then dials, it looks like it goes at the same time. So how does it know? Do, like, 5 receiving gates light up but then one by one they drop off until only one is left and it connects? And it's not like they enter the full address before it lights up. Anyone got an answer? Have I made a mistake? (I don't think so but maybe I didn't explain it properly)
        While it looks like it, the Stargate, when recieving a wormhole, rotates. While it does not look like it, it is presumably after they've dialled. Assuming that the dialling gate opens the one end of the wormhole earlier than the other end.

I love how the stargate knows when to wait for the last person and when to shut down. So many times the gate stays active until the last person steps through, sometimes it cuts out just as the last person barely walks through. It's like the magical Star Trek doors, which know when to open/close and when to stay closed/open when someone gets too close. This one has always bugged me (on both shows) as it seems so damn convenient and they never made fun of it in the 100th or 200th episodes.
        At the SGC, they can shut down the gate manually by disconnecting the power. Off-base, a reasonable explanation could be that if the Stargate detects nothing going through, and nothing else coming through, then the gate automatically shuts off.

There are literally thousands of threads at Gateworld dealing with many, if not all, of these questions. Please feel free to peruse them.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

i've always wondered what happened to various characters they rescued (like the kid from the episode "the light".)'

and of course what happened to jonas after his planet was attacked by the ori.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            why does jack get cranky at the end of his tenture at the sgc
            Because he didn't get that USS Enterprise he always wanted.

Originally posted by blueray View Post
            i've always wondered what happened to various characters they rescued (like the kid from the episode "the light".)'

and of course what happened to jonas after his planet was attacked by the ori.
            The kid fom The Light went to rehab, met Lindsay Lohan and lets just say it wasn't a nice outcome. As for Jonas, I think, but don't quote me on this, something about Jonas' home planet is being talked about in SGU when it returns.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mulder1975 View Post
              You can find Daniel's screensaver here.
              sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered why in The Fifth Race, season 2, Carter is trapped on the hot planet. The SGC dials up the planet when SG1 is overdue to report, and Carter says through the MALP that she can't dial the gate to get home from their end, because the DHD is broken. If the SGC dials up the planet and has an active wormhole they can communicate through, then why didn't she just walk through it instead of staying on the death planet? Then, she says they'll try manually dialing, and the SGC hangs up. The SGC calls Carter's hot death planet again, establishes an active wormhole, and she says they can't dial home because the gate is stuck.

She says she can't get back to the SGC, even though she knows for a fact that she's looking right at a wormhole that leads home.

I've watched the episode twice today, trying to find out where it's explained, and even looked up the script. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger, more glaring plot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Glexn View Post
                  I've always wondered why in The Fifth Race, season 2, Carter is trapped on the hot planet. The SGC dials up the planet when SG1 is overdue to report, and Carter says through the MALP that she can't dial the gate to get home from their end, because the DHD is broken. If the SGC dials up the planet and has an active wormhole they can communicate through, then why didn't she just walk through it instead of staying on the death planet? Then, she says they'll try manually dialing, and the SGC hangs up. The SGC calls Carter's hot death planet again, establishes an active wormhole, and she says they can't dial home because the gate is stuck.

She says she can't get back to the SGC, even though she knows for a fact that she's looking right at a wormhole that leads home.

I've watched the episode twice today, trying to find out where it's explained, and even looked up the script. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger, more glaring plot hole.
                  you can only go one way through an open wormhole.(through the side that dials)

Add: only certain things like radio signals and such can go both ways
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                    you can only go one way through an open wormhole.(through the side that dials)

Add: only certain things like radio signals and such can go both ways
                    and gravity

Comment

How did Anubis escape from that Russian who he was inhabiting at the time if he was on an ice planet?

Comment

Originally posted by Glexn View Post

This issue was explained very early on in Season 1. Wormholes are only one-way. If the SGC dials the planet, the SGC can go through, or send supplies to the planet, but those individuals ON the planet can not go back to Earth through the same wormhole. Those on the planet must find a way to send an out-going wormhole through the Stargate from the planet back to the SGC in order for them to get home. Hope this makes sense!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                          How did Anubis escape from that Russian who he was inhabiting at the time if he was on an ice planet?
                          Anubis was non corporeal. All he needed to do, was visit the Ascended plane and return wherever he wants. However, the body could have survived long enough to turn around, dial the gate and for Anubis to leave.

sigpic

Comment

not really a question but i was watching death knell and jacob seems to do most of the talking. wouldn't salmack go talk to the tok'ra after they lied to the tuar'i?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Anubis was non corporeal. All he needed to do, was visit the Ascended plane and return wherever he wants. However, the body could have survived long enough to turn around, dial the gate and for Anubis to leave.
                              Could have, but at the end they showed him to be frozen solid. And the point of sending him to Hoth (or wherever) was to keep him trapped in that frozen body.

Then again it's just another plot hole, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X