Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of SGU, speculation and plotting.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future of SGU, speculation and plotting.

Just what it says, your hopes, thoughts about the future of SGU.

Now, I will say right now, this is for those that WANT a future. If your comments are 'thank got this pos is gone'...go to the cancellation thread and express your thoughts. This thread is for those that want to discuss what can/might be done to wrap up the plot and story of SGU.

Bashing other fans is off topic.
    The why's of the cancellation are off topic. It's canceled. You wanna debate why, go to the cancellation thread.
    You wanna gloat that it's gone, don't do it here.
    The goal of this thread is to be a bit of a haven for those that want to honestly discuss the potential of the show, when/if it can be wrapped up, and for them to be able to do this free from being told how wrong they are, what a waste it is, etc.

Those that want to crit the show, and praise the cancellation, you have the rest of the forum, leave those that miss the show this thread to themselves.

Those posting in the thread, please remember to tag spoilers for anything that's aired or to come in season two.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

So, is this thread for speculating as to where the story would have gone, or expressing what options for the continuation of the story line we are most hopeful for? I am going to assume it's the latter.

My original hope was to get five seasons and to see the complete story line of SGU completed, just like Battlestar Galactica. The premise, of a runaway ship in a far corner of the universe searching for the answers to universal questions, has so much potential.

Now, I think the best case scenario is that MGM shops the show to another network. This is what I hope for above anything else, but failing that, I would like some kind of miniseries or two or three movies to conclude the storyline. One movie is simply not enough to conclude the season two AND conclude Destiny's mission in a satisfactory manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
      So,is this thread for speculating as to where the story would have gone, or expressing what options for the continuation of the story line we are most hopeful for? I am going to assume it's the latter.

My original hope was to get five seasons and to see the complete story line of SGU completed, just like Battlestar Galactica. The premise, of a runaway ship in a far corner of the universe searching for the answers to universal questions, has so much potential.

Now, I think the best case scenario is that MGM shops the show to another network. This is what I hope for above anything else, but failing that, I would like some kind of miniseries or two or three movies to conclude the storyline. One movie is simply not enough to conclude the season two AND conclude Destiny's mission in a satisfactory manner.
      The problem here is that shows like this, such as BSG, have a long period winding up to something and slowly building up characters and a "reason". SGU doesn't have any of that yet, and hasn't built up nearly enough, and it would really suck to just end it with short miniseries. "Oh, alright, we're home." Same reason why Stargate Voyager ended badly, there was no build up, just a sudden ending.

BSG built up over almost a season towards the ending. The whole last season was, in essence, the ending. That's why it had 4 seasons, it had an intro season, some story telling, and then an ending. SGU is just kinda meandering around in the middle with no purpose yet.
      My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

This is for...how we gonna wrap this up? How we gonna close those plot lines? and, presuming episode 220 is a cliff hanger, how will that end? how will you resolve it?

A canon'esque ending to the show. (meaning, what you are speculating on, is it plausible? We already have a fantasy ending thread, this is for the more realistic endings)

If you want to discuss 'ok, let's pretend there's a season three, how would things have played out', that's fine.

Just hte main stuff that's off topic is whether or not there should be any resolution.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
          The problem here is that shows like this, such as BSG, have a long period winding up to something and slowly building up characters and a "reason". SGU doesn't have any of that yet, and hasn't built up nearly enough, and it would really suck to just end it with short miniseries. "Oh, alright, we're home." Same reason why Stargate Voyager ended badly, there was no build up, just a sudden ending.

BSG built up over almost a season towards the ending. The whole last season was, in essence, the ending. That's why it had 4 seasons, it had an intro season, some story telling, and then an ending. SGU is just kinda meandering around in the middle with no purpose yet.
          I agree. I don't want a miniseries ending; I would much rather have a third season which leads towards and ending, but since I doubt that will happen, a miniseries or movie will be our best bet.

And I disagree on your opinion about how SGU is "meandering around." The revelation of the ships original mission has completely changed this, and while it does seem to be a sudden revelation with no build up, if you go back and watch season one there is actually a lot of build-up; we just did not know at the time that it was referencing the ships mission. The whole story line with the "planet builders" also adds to the mythology. The difference between SGU's mythology and BSG's is that SGU's is far more subtle and takes a lot more interpretation and re-watching than BSG's; however, both series are somewhat like Lost in that respect.

Anyway, back on topic; personally I think that the "planet builders" are actually the ascended Ancients, or a small group of them, trying to help the crew of Destiny by placing Eden in their path as a kind of pit-stop to collect supplies. Perhaps the information that can be garnered from uncovering the
          Spoiler:
          "message" in the cosmic microwave background radiation
          could help humans achieve their potential and become the Fifth Race.

Comment

Movies, or have another station pick it up.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I don't really know how it would work to "sell" the show to another network, or even if another network would pick it up but that would be my hope!
              sigpic

Comment

I recall from somewhere in JM's blog he said they could set up and deliver the ending in the span of one season if necessary. A far cry from a mini-series or a couple of movies but, if that's on the table and nothing else, it would sure beat nothing else!
                "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

I'd kill to have a third season at least to continue the story but at this point i'll take anything i can get. Ultimately, I'd even take a cop-out ending just to tie it up somewhat and HAVE an ending. If we're going to do a quick, get it done endingt, I'll take one of two things.

1) Have Destiny finally find a way to get enough power to dial home and have Young make the decision to go back to Earth and most likely leave Rush on Destiny for the rest of time. Maybe he can make friends with the Ursini. I just want to see the Destiny crew walk back through the gate onto Earth in either Atlantis or SGC to applause

or

2) and this is the wormhole drive ending of the two... Make up a story where Destiny loses the use of the stones and is in the dark for a long while. Meanwhile back on Earth we've made some sort of amazing discovery in ZPM or some technology and supe up the engines in a 304 or five and send them on a rescue mission. To add some suspense, have Destiny in some sort of a battle getting beat down hard and out of nowhere a fleet of 302's swoops down past the bridge and starts pwning some toasters.

Ultimately, what I want to see in SGU is... well... us win or at least kick some ass for a change instead of being on the losing side of EVERYTHING.

/end fanboi rant
                  =D

Comment

Would be nice to see them do a movie to buy some time while they shop to another network. BSG worked nicely with Razor right in the middle of it! Perhaps a movie to do with what happed to Destiny before we gated onboard, why is it so damaged, something clearly happened to Destiny in the past. While we wait, lets see what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      This is for...how we gonna wrap this up? How we gonna close those plot lines? and, presuming episode 220 is a cliff hanger, how will that end? how will you resolve it?

A canon'esque ending to the show. (meaning, what you are speculating on, is it plausible? We already have a fantasy ending thread, this is for the more realistic endings)

If you want to discuss 'ok, let's pretend there's a season three, how would things have played out', that's fine.

Just hte main stuff that's off topic is whether or not there should be any resolution.
                      I'd love to see a Firefly/Serenity type deal where, if we can't have any more, that we can get a movie to wrap up some of the questions, and leave enough for mystery to live on, where it could go anywhere.
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

How to wrap this up, ugh sadly i'd just settle for a picture montage of the main characters with a little blurb.

Dr Rush - went mad after finding the ultimate answer but his glasses were smashed and now can't read it...

Eli - Now a congressman in Wisconsin

Young - still in the millitary as his numerous child support payments make leaving any job impossible.

ok ok i'm just being silly but really what else can they do. My real hope is this shop this series to some other network. SyFy no longer deserves the stargate franchise.

Comment

It is hard for me to do too much speculation and plotting about possible endings without having seen the second half of season 2. Where do those last 10 episodes take us? What is the cliffhanger? What gets resolved, what gets started?
                          sigpic
                          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

which is why this thread will likely continue for months, with a 'more likely' ending coming as people watch the pieces building up to it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              I'd love to see a Firefly/Serenity type deal where, if we can't have any more, that we can get a movie to wrap up some of the questions, and leave enough for mystery to live on, where it could go anywhere.
                              Now that would be good I'd rather have another season but something along the lines of what they done with Firefly or even Farscape would be good too. SGU will always be remembered for bringing back my enjoyment of Stargate so I will always be grateful to them for that I still hope they can find a way to wrap it up properly.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X