Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Thank you, Stargate Universe

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnn View Post
    I have never seen it til it came on Netflix last week. I thought I was past getting obsessed with shows, far too cynical these days, but Robert Carlyle is so brilliant and so are all the others.

Season 2 is BETTER? Crikey!
    I too was surprised by how obsessed I became with SGU, I liked the way nothing was black and white and our Stargate heroes can be less than perfect.

Oh yes, season two has some great moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    I too was surprised by how obsessed I became with SGU, I liked the way nothing was black and white and our Stargate heroes can be less than perfect.

Oh yes, season two has some great moments.
    I love 'non black and white' stories. No human is totally well meaning or totally self interested, we're all a mixture of both aren't we.

I like stories with baddies and goodies too but they get boring.
    ~~~I like to see both sides of things~~~

^^ yes season 2 is even better! In fact it was so upset when it was canceled and we didn't get a Season 3.
    Stargate Universe is a fantastic show for the science fiction, the great characters, the fact that as mentioned above no stark "black and white" stories or characters.
    You will love the character development in Season 2, as well I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it at that.
    What I loved about SGU each week was each episode was so unpredictable in plot development, I was unable to predict WHAT was going to happen next and I LOVED that.
    You are going to love season 2.

I've been overdosing on it lately, watching 2 episodes a night for a week. So I had a few days off to process it all

Major General

I wouldn't call that overdosing on it. Try 2 disks a day!

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Or a whole season on a weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I'm afraid I'm one of those sad people who has a life outside Stargate, though

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

To be fair I couldn't do a weekend anymore. That was back when I was a kid with no responsibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Yes, its not good to stress your brain watching too many mind boggling shows at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Perelandra View Post
    ^^ yes season 2 is even better! In fact it was so upset when it was canceled and we didn't get a Season 3.
    Stargate Universe is a fantastic show for the science fiction, the great characters, the fact that as mentioned above no stark "black and white" stories or characters.
    You will love the character development in Season 2, as well I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it at that.
    What I loved about SGU each week was each episode was so unpredictable in plot development, I was unable to predict WHAT was going to happen next and I LOVED that.
    You are going to love season 2.
    I totally agree with you,by my opinion SGU is amazing sci fi show which i saw. There have all that you like watching in the science fiction: aliens,strange planets,ships,fighters,technology of the future.

Season two is pretty awesome,very sadly that this show was canceled. Why they are canceled this series?
    http://stargate.mgm.com/images/universe-series-header.jpg

With improvements in CGI and special effects over the years, wouldn't it be cheaper now to continue the series than it used to cost back then?
    Because I remember it was one of the reasons they cancelled it, it was too expensive per episode.

Probie

I would just like to add my thanks for SGU. It was different from the rest of Stargate--more like the reimagined Battlestar Galactica than like SG-1 or SG-A. Those were good in their own ways, but SGU delivered a higher caliber of drama. Not as many laughs, but good sci-fi!

Major General

I was glad it had less laughs than NBSG.

Probie

Eventhough I doubt anyone still looks at this thread, I just discovered it and I really want to add my gratitude!

I could literally carry on for many pages about how much I adore SGU and all the wonderful things about it. I could also express my frustration, disappointment and anger about its cancellation and the individuals and factors which were and seem to be the cause of that, and enumerate all the mistakes made (by network executives primarily—although I'm trying to refraid from negativity I must be clear that none of my 'blame' is directed towards anyone directly involved with the making/production of the show itself!). But I'll try to keep my expression reasonably succinct.

I first want to offer my most heartfelt gratitude, awe, adoration, praise and affection to all the outstanding, talented actors who truly brought the characters and the script to life in such a visceral, genuine, emotive, realistically human and captivating way! Your performances were stellar, and truly remarkable. From the very beginning and until the very end all of the actors really gave their all and put their whole heart into their work—particularly the main 'starring' cast members. While I'm sure you would graciously site the factors and forces that inspired, evoked and supported you through that process, you are all to commended for your work which I consider to be without question the best acting in sci-fi, and truly on-par with the best acting on TV.
    I have never witnessed a series that started so strongly! By that, I mean the chemistry & relationships among the cast members and the depth of character revealed from the very beginning. Most other shows took half a season—often multiple seasons—before they were able to generate the sense of intimacy, complexity & depth of character and sense of reality and honesty that you were creating from the first scenes of the pilot episode. Truly remarkable and fantastic!

And of course, I have to thank the writers, creators and producers. Despite whatever criticism has been directed towards you, I maintain that you did a brilliant and breath-taking job of creating an amazing premise, very evocative and realistic characters and you wove together all these various elements together with such mastery into a richly complex & multilayered tapestry of stories which were so exciting, emotional, provocative, unique and captivating—but most of all: realistic and human! It's not easy to come up with something new and different in sci-fi—it seems like it's all been done (in one way or another). But you succeeded in either finding a new way & context to present familiar motifs, and also you came up with many fabulous and enthralling ideas and story lines that were totally new and original.
    My only real 'gripe' is that ideas and seeds to support the new series were subtly embedded into the dialogue of SGA, even just a handful of little tidbits would have gone a long way towards encouraging fans to embrace SGU. I am aware of dialogue from one scene that was tragically edited from the final cut.

I also want to express my thanks and admiration for the absolutely stunning and incredibly fantastic & gorgeous work done by everyone in the art department—which has a very broad and encompassing meaning to me and includes everyone involved with make-up & costumes, anyone who worked with the props and the sets/stages/scenery, as well as all those involved in post-production and special effects, plus everyone who helped with lighting, photography, cinematography... Basically, everyone besides the actors and writers who had something to do with something that appeared on screen is part of the "art department" in my head. You guys are utterly amazing and inspired and the work you did with SGU was outstanding—truly above and beyond! The work you guys did on each episode is on par with and rivals major motion pictures.

And now, I express my gratitude to a man who will never hear me... In my opinion—if I had to pick someone who single-handedly had the most pervasive and intense emotional impact on the final production, it would without question be Joel Goldsmith and the dazzling, spellbinding and heart-wrenching original score he produced for the series! What he did with SGU was unprecedented in my opinion, the quality, originality, creativity and genius of the music he generated was on a whole new level and was undoubtedly the best work of his career and life in my mind.
    Joel's contribution to the series was almost immeasurable. The emotional scope of his music and the vast palette of sounds included in the soundscapes he generated are unrivaled and truly inspired.

I have watched the series in its entirety at least 7 times and I have watched the pilot and first few episodes with numerous friends to turn them on to this fantastic show, and instead of getting tired of it I continue to enjoy and appreciate it more. Each time I notice more details, nuances and layers that only increase my respect, amazement, gratitude and fervor for the series and everyone involved with its creation and production.

I only wish it had not been murdered at such a young age, leaving so many questions & mysteries forever unanswered and unresolved. Only recently am I finally beginning to accept and come to terms with the fact that it truly is gone forever and will never be revived or rebooted, and that none of those questions will ever be answered and none of those stories will ever be told... and quite frankly it breaks my heart!
    I feel like as brilliant and wonderful as the first two seasons were, they were really just getting started with the stories to be told and mysteries to be revealed about the Ancients and the rich & colorful mythology of the stargate.
    I still can't really, fully accept that this franchise is dead—it just doesn't make any sense! I still haven't given up all hope that somehow, some day stargate will once again grace our screens, entertain us and spark our imaginations with that unparalleled sense of magic, wonder, joy & adventure!

Thank you SGU for all the marvelous hours of top quality entertainment that you have and will continue to give me and those I share you with!!!

Well said AuralArchitect. One of the most brilliant shows ever. I wholeheartedly agree about the cast, the writing, art dept. and the wonderful Joel Goldsmith. His music lives on in my soul.

Major General

If one could 'speak with the dead', i feel Joel would be beaming with admiration at the level of praise we all owe him for a wonderous sound track for SGU..

Wonderfully said AuralArchitect, it always warms my heart to see new people coming to appreciate what was for me a raw and refreshing take on the Stargate franchise!

What great stories were left untold, that will always sadden me? At least what we did get continues to entertain me with each re-watch. I loved SGU's more subtle humour, it's easily overlooked with the darker themes of the show but it is there, elevating moments of seriousness with people still being able to laugh in the face of adversity.

Major General

That to me is the saddest part of it all. So much left untold...

Even now I still love this show. I will always RP Dr. Rush and I will always have a ton of fun doing it. XD So thanks for giving me something to enjoy for so many long years, SGU!

Probie

Thank you, Stargate:Universe for being a high quality sci-fi series. It was aired and cancelled way before it's time. I wish I could see the Destiny again. Still, huge thanks to all involved!