Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of GateWorld (Community Discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    That might be where 'giving back' comes in (and i'll say i'm just speaking as a forum member here)

Like Darren said, traffic is generated by people looking for new content. old shows don't have much new content. so that might be something to consider with old and non-active shows. They likely won't do much for generating traffic without fans, etc, to make that content
    Perhaps include a link every news story to the relevant show/franchise subforum?

"Discuss this news here!" sort of thing.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

or, if some honestly want to 'give back'....well if youi're a fan of Space Above and Beyond and there's a thread for it....take it upon yourself to get some discussion going and keep it going.

i guess my point is, members may need to adopt a thread and generate content

just something to consider.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think we should change the overall theme to something in a hot pink.

Comment

what? with sparkles?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
            I think we should change the overall theme to something in a hot pink.
            no, something blacker, to remind me of SGU's darkness

Comment

No, I want a sparkly pink forum

um, but I like the expand a lot option best
              oh and I'm glad GateWorld will still be around after SGU is done. I really like this forum and the main site is cool too.

and Happy Holidays
              sigpic

Comment

I like the 'classic' and 'current' shows areas.

I think the one caution i can think of....those that want classic shows....well ya gotta keep it active. Can you talk about and keep a forum or website area alive and vital when they're about a show that hasn't been new for years or decades?

That might be where 'giving back' comes in (and i'll say i'm just speaking as a forum member here)

Like Darren said, traffic is generated by people looking for new content. old shows don't have much new content. so that might be something to consider with old and non-active shows. They likely won't do much for generating traffic without fans, etc, to make that content
                or, if some honestly want to 'give back'....well if youi're a fan of Space Above and Beyond and there's a thread for it....take it upon yourself to get some discussion going and keep it going.

i guess my point is, members may need to adopt a thread and generate content

just something to consider.
                I agree with you on this one. Some "Classic" shows may not generate enough activity to deserve their own area, but other shows (BSG, Star Trek and others will continue to have a cult following). There are some shows that have an area now that likely will not stand the test of time (Dollhouse, Heroes and other shows that were canceled quickly) that may need to be removed or lumped into a general "Classic" show area of some kind after a certain period of time.

Another related idea would be an awareness campaign. Many of us who use the forums and main site would likely help out more if we knew how, knew what was needed or were asked. While I don't really like the idea of a "paid members" area I think some members would be willing to make donations to the site. I've seen other sites have that ability to donate, but I think paid features would likely reduce overall membership and eventually hurt GW.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                  *snip*While I don't really like the idea of a "paid members" area I think some members would be willing to make donations to the site. I've seen other sites have that ability to donate, but I think paid features would likely reduce overall membership and eventually hurt GW.
                  Agreed. I'd be willing to make a donation from time-to-time, but I don't want to have to pay to be able to do stuff that I can do now for free.
                  "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                  - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

I have another idea that goes along with the "Major Expansion" mode

In the "Current Shows" areas be proactive about new TV series. For example, you could go ahead and create and area for "Being Human." I realize this could backfire if the shows in canceled during Season 1 or is a huge flop, but the gains could outweigh the risks. Gateworld could become the go to site for all Sci-fi shows and by doing this you're not forcing fans to go to another forum for their Being Human (other other show) discussions. If Gateworld waits until the show is a hit to open areas for show discussion many people (especially potentially new members) have already gone somewhere else and found a home.

In going with this idea, have a few rules in place that if a show flops or is canceled it will be "moved" to another area or deleted or whatever is best for GW. Maybe create a few more of those Demi-Moderators to handle some of the grunt work that would be needed to take this endeavor on.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      If the decision is made to do some expanding, this link could be expanded to cover any Sci-Fi show featured on GW's "Sci-fi Stream"
                      sigpic

Comment

I think expansion is the only way to ensure the site survives. With no new Stargate I expect the site will have pretty much zero population growth and will just bleed page views until there are only a few left.

There really isn't much real science fiction on television so it shouldnt be hard to do a good job of covering it.

I'd like to see Gateworld become a site where I can go to find out about all things science fiction - I think that would be a fitting legacy for the Stargate franchise. If you do decide to go that way perhaps make a thread to discuss what shows are out there that are worth reporting on.

Comment

I joined because of Stargate but Gw really has become my sci-fi hub. I tend to lean towards expanding.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            If the decision is made to do some expanding, this link could be expanded to cover any Sci-Fi show featured on GW's "Sci-fi Stream"

That sounds along the lines of what I'm thinking, I agree completely.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And actually the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea to shuffle a lot of the various subforums around to put like-minded posters into proximity with one another, move more active places higher in the tree, give more exposure to certain folders by proximity to more trafficked ones, etc. For instance:

Spoiler:
                              Command
                              Forum Announcements & Help
                              GateWorld Features
                              Fun and Games
                              Off-Topic

Stargate Community
                              General Stargate Discussion
                              Stargate News (merge Fandom & Merch into this)
                              Stargate SG-1
                              Stargate Atlantis
                              Stargate Universe
                              Characters & Relationships (merge all 3 CR folders into 1)
                              Science & Tech (merge all 3 ST folders into 1)
                              Stargate: Horizon
                              Fan Fiction
                              Role-Playing

Active Stuff
                              General Sci-Fi & Fantasy
                              Video Games (new subfolder)
                              Battlestar Galactica
                              - Caprica (keep folder, but move inside BSG)
                              - Blood & Chrome (create subfolder inside BSG when it starts)
                              Doctor Who
                              - Torchwood (keep folder, but move inside DW)
                              Eureka
                              Fringe
                              Sanctuary
                              Smallville
                              Star Trek
                              Star Wars
                              Supernatural
                              Warehouse 13

Inactive Stuff
                              Babylon 5
                              Dollhouse
                              Farscape
                              Firefly
                              Heroes
                              Lost

And in future, shift series/franchise folders to and from active/inactive as their production status changes.

This is less an actual suggestion than it is me thinking aloud (as it were). I do think there's merit in such a reorganization though.
                              Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 December 2010, 03:13 PM. Reason: grammar gaffe

Comment

Podcast

In terms of the podcast, one of the main reasons I stop by GateWorld, I would suggest doing them with the same frequency as you have been - putting out a new one once a week.

I know you've talked about not wanting to do an episode by episode review of the past SG-1 episodes since you reviewed the seasons as a whole, but honestly a lot of people would tune in if you started doing that again as one of your many segments each week.

You could do a Stargate SG-1 marathon reviewing the entire series episode by episode as a whole. Each week in the retro review section you could do two or three episodes in a row starting from the pilot and moving onward.

Comment

Working...
                                X