View Poll Results: I'd like to see the MAIN GateWorld site cover shows like ... (check all that apply)

Voters
263. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being Human (Syfy / BBC)

44 16.73%
  • BSG: Blood & Chrome (Syfy)

89 33.84%
  • Doctor Who (BBC)

122 46.39%
  • Eureka (Syfy)

99 37.64%
  • Fringe (FOX)

86 32.70%
  • Haven (Syfy)

34 12.93%
  • No Ordinary Family (ABC)

14 5.32%
  • Outcasts (BBC)

16 6.08%
  • Sanctuary (Syfy)

177 67.30%
  • Supernatural (CW)

58 22.05%
  • The Walking Dead (AMC)

62 23.57%
  • Warehouse 13 (Syfy)

88 33.46%
  • V (ABC)

80 30.42%
  • Other (post 'em below!)

29 11.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Future of GateWorld (Community Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    That might be where 'giving back' comes in (and i'll say i'm just speaking as a forum member here)

Like Darren said, traffic is generated by people looking for new content. old shows don't have much new content. so that might be something to consider with old and non-active shows. They likely won't do much for generating traffic without fans, etc, to make that content
    Perhaps include a link every news story to the relevant show/franchise subforum?

"Discuss this news here!" sort of thing.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

or, if some honestly want to 'give back'....well if youi're a fan of Space Above and Beyond and there's a thread for it....take it upon yourself to get some discussion going and keep it going.

i guess my point is, members may need to adopt a thread and generate content

just something to consider.

Second Lieutenant

I think we should change the overall theme to something in a hot pink.

(Moderator)

what? with sparkles?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekras View Post
    I think we should change the overall theme to something in a hot pink.
    no, something blacker, to remind me of SGU's darkness

No, I want a sparkly pink forum

um, but I like the expand a lot option best
    oh and I'm glad GateWorld will still be around after SGU is done. I really like this forum and the main site is cool too.

and Happy Holidays

I like the 'classic' and 'current' shows areas.

I think the one caution i can think of....those that want classic shows....well ya gotta keep it active. Can you talk about and keep a forum or website area alive and vital when they're about a show that hasn't been new for years or decades?

That might be where 'giving back' comes in (and i'll say i'm just speaking as a forum member here)

Like Darren said, traffic is generated by people looking for new content. old shows don't have much new content. so that might be something to consider with old and non-active shows. They likely won't do much for generating traffic without fans, etc, to make that content
    or, if some honestly want to 'give back'....well if youi're a fan of Space Above and Beyond and there's a thread for it....take it upon yourself to get some discussion going and keep it going.

i guess my point is, members may need to adopt a thread and generate content

just something to consider.
    I agree with you on this one. Some "Classic" shows may not generate enough activity to deserve their own area, but other shows (BSG, Star Trek and others will continue to have a cult following). There are some shows that have an area now that likely will not stand the test of time (Dollhouse, Heroes and other shows that were canceled quickly) that may need to be removed or lumped into a general "Classic" show area of some kind after a certain period of time.

Another related idea would be an awareness campaign. Many of us who use the forums and main site would likely help out more if we knew how, knew what was needed or were asked. While I don't really like the idea of a "paid members" area I think some members would be willing to make donations to the site. I've seen other sites have that ability to donate, but I think paid features would likely reduce overall membership and eventually hurt GW.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

First Lieutenant J-Whitt Remastered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    *snip*While I don't really like the idea of a "paid members" area I think some members would be willing to make donations to the site. I've seen other sites have that ability to donate, but I think paid features would likely reduce overall membership and eventually hurt GW.
    Agreed. I'd be willing to make a donation from time-to-time, but I don't want to have to pay to be able to do stuff that I can do now for free.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

I have another idea that goes along with the "Major Expansion" mode

In the "Current Shows" areas be proactive about new TV series. For example, you could go ahead and create and area for "Being Human." I realize this could backfire if the shows in canceled during Season 1 or is a huge flop, but the gains could outweigh the risks. Gateworld could become the go to site for all Sci-fi shows and by doing this you're not forcing fans to go to another forum for their Being Human (other other show) discussions. If Gateworld waits until the show is a hit to open areas for show discussion many people (especially potentially new members) have already gone somewhere else and found a home.

In going with this idea, have a few rules in place that if a show flops or is canceled it will be "moved" to another area or deleted or whatever is best for GW. Maybe create a few more of those Demi-Moderators to handle some of the grunt work that would be needed to take this endeavor on.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    If the decision is made to do some expanding, this link could be expanded to cover any Sci-Fi show featured on GW's "Sci-fi Stream"

I think expansion is the only way to ensure the site survives. With no new Stargate I expect the site will have pretty much zero population growth and will just bleed page views until there are only a few left.

There really isn't much real science fiction on television so it shouldnt be hard to do a good job of covering it.

I'd like to see Gateworld become a site where I can go to find out about all things science fiction - I think that would be a fitting legacy for the Stargate franchise. If you do decide to go that way perhaps make a thread to discuss what shows are out there that are worth reporting on.

I joined because of Stargate but Gw really has become my sci-fi hub. I tend to lean towards expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    If the decision is made to do some expanding, this link could be expanded to cover any Sci-Fi show featured on GW's "Sci-fi Stream"

That sounds along the lines of what I'm thinking, I agree completely.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

And actually the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea to shuffle a lot of the various subforums around to put like-minded posters into proximity with one another, move more active places higher in the tree, give more exposure to certain folders by proximity to more trafficked ones, etc. For instance:

Spoiler:
    Command
    Forum Announcements & Help
    GateWorld Features
    Fun and Games
    Off-Topic

Stargate Community
    General Stargate Discussion
    Stargate News (merge Fandom & Merch into this)
    Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    Stargate Universe
    Characters & Relationships (merge all 3 CR folders into 1)
    Science & Tech (merge all 3 ST folders into 1)
    Stargate: Horizon
    Fan Fiction
    Role-Playing

Active Stuff
    General Sci-Fi & Fantasy
    Video Games (new subfolder)
    Battlestar Galactica
    - Caprica (keep folder, but move inside BSG)
    - Blood & Chrome (create subfolder inside BSG when it starts)
    Doctor Who
    - Torchwood (keep folder, but move inside DW)
    Eureka
    Fringe
    Sanctuary
    Smallville
    Star Trek
    Star Wars
    Supernatural
    Warehouse 13

Inactive Stuff
    Babylon 5
    Dollhouse
    Farscape
    Firefly
    Heroes
    Lost

And in future, shift series/franchise folders to and from active/inactive as their production status changes.

This is less an actual suggestion than it is me thinking aloud (as it were). I do think there's merit in such a reorganization though.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; December 21st, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: grammar gaffe

Podcast

In terms of the podcast, one of the main reasons I stop by GateWorld, I would suggest doing them with the same frequency as you have been - putting out a new one once a week.

I know you've talked about not wanting to do an episode by episode review of the past SG-1 episodes since you reviewed the seasons as a whole, but honestly a lot of people would tune in if you started doing that again as one of your many segments each week.

You could do a Stargate SG-1 marathon reviewing the entire series episode by episode as a whole. Each week in the retro review section you could do two or three episodes in a row starting from the pilot and moving onward.

I like Archive Mode and Expand A Little.

I say update on the Stargate content you have already. For instance...there are some episodes in the archive that don't have transcripts. Aslo...expand on the fanfic archive...and keep it updated.

But...I also like expanding the site a little to other tv show or movies. There are a lot of other shows...I'm sure...that many of us are hooked onto. Such as... I'm a big fan of Deadliest Catch...Mythbusters...and Dirty Jobs. I would to be able to share my joy of those shows with others.

Thank you Darren for keeping the doors open for us...and calling this our home. I do feel like I'm home here. It's always nice know there is always some place familiar to come back to make you feel at home. Thank you Darren again. And...you have a blessed Christmas as well.
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

(Moderator)

maybe, in Sue Jackson's idea, instead of different threads for non-scifi shows (we do have a deadliest catch thread) threads can be made for the networks those shows air on. for example a discovery channel thread, a history channel thread, etc

I think the only quibble i can see with that it some shows air on multiple channels (monster fish for example is airing both on animal planet and discovery, same with the colony and others)

I guess my point is, individual threads for shows can get lost, but network threads covering any shows on that network could be a bit more active to not get lost

maybe, in Sue Jackson's idea, instead of different threads for non-scifi shows (we do have a deadliest catch thread) threads can be made for the networks those shows air on. for example a discovery channel thread, a history channel thread, etc

I think the only quibble i can see with that it some shows air on multiple channels (monster fish for example is airing both on animal planet and discovery, same with the colony and others)

I guess my point is, individual threads for shows can get lost, but network threads covering any shows on that network could be a bit more active to not get lost
    Not exactly user friendly, which networks would you use, American? Canadian? British? and how would a user from a country outside of the one that is used for categories know where to find a particular show.

(Moderator)

good point.

On the other hand, we've had a deadliest catch thread for years now, and its just up to a few pages...so there would probably have to be some discretion as to which shows get a thread....or fans just make them and it's up to natural selection...what's popular survives.

which makes it pretty much like how we have the threads in off topic right now. We have a lot of individual show threads devoted to non scifi shows....some are active, others died an early death

There are also some glaring omissions from the General Sci-fi and Fantasy section such as The Walking Dead - when its clear a science fiction show is a hit there should be a section made about it right away, unless GW is not interested in providing a place for discussion about popular shows.