Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chief Master Sergeant mparsons1981's Avatar

Default Re: Opinion: Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled

Thanks for that StargateWatcher. I'm surprised theres been so little debate on this thread. I just set http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...854&fullsize=1, as my desktop wallpaper, makes me sad there no more SGU all the more.

Darren i would appreciate your reaction to my post if you have the time.
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

4) Time-Shifting and Online Viewing
    Simply put: DVR time-shifting and online availability are directly opposed to the current system of ad-supported television. New technologies are great for putting the viewer in control; but the broadcaster’s profitability is still tied to the network being in control (i.e., making us watch commercials).
    Stargate Atlantis was more heavily DVR time-shifted and more heavily downloaded. It was simply a more popular show.

Probie

We can find good explications and complex reasoning for this show demise but the fault is all of the guys who bring it to set...the SF experience was transformed into a human condition experiment. Sore it has grate potential...but we are talking about SG bot a test....and if they waned a test could do it!...but not for two seasons and CUT....'it.

Remember that SG1 was in that same position at the beginning...but they thought about it from the first episodes!!!...tows guys with SGU mistaken SG fans with SGU fans...and go for 2 seasons to find out that.

Don't get me wrong, the show had an amazing potential...but...

Chief Master Sergeant python490's Avatar

The article listed all valid reasons, but It came down to cost. Syfy just wanted productions that cost less. Look there has been no space opera/ space shows for awhile now. Look at all the networks and you see it is not only Syfy thinking this way. Overall Sci-fi shows don't have longevity or a large viewership. Except Fox,Abc,Nbc, or Cbs didn't call itself the Sci-fi channel and I think that is what makes people mad. There use to be a whole channel for our community and it was taken away for Wrestling and other programs(some have merit and many do not). Sci-fi shows from now on just may have less or no spaceships anymore.

Favorite quote:
    McKay: You shot me!
    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
    Ronon: You shot me, too.
    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by python490 View Post
    Look there has been no space opera/ space shows for awhile now. Look at all the networks and you see it is not only Syfy thinking this way. Overall Sci-fi shows don't have longevity or a large viewership.
    We may have to rely more heavily upon books for our science fiction fixes. Perhaps, in several years, television will again find a place for sci-fi. The outlook is bleak for the near future.

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    I am hoping that its a publicity stunt to get us all mad and then BAM! bring it back.
    Well, let's say the show is a cover-up like Wormhole X-treme, then technically they're in stasis in Destiny's 3 year long continuous FTL jump and we're not missing anything.

Either way, I think (now) they will score more bringing it back 3 years later, compared to right away. Not that I think they're going to, but I'm hoping as much as I can.
    Last edited by Muffong; June 11th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.