Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Opinion: Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled

This thread is for discussion of the GateWorld opinion piece "Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled" -

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...was-cancelled/

Thanks!

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Default Re: Opinion: Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled

i skimmed it but from what i read you totally nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    This thread is for discussion of the GateWorld opinion piece "Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled" -

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...was-cancelled/

Thanks!
    Excellent writing Darren. I definitely agree about the decision to move to Tuesdays and SyFy acquiring Smackdown.

agreed with all of it

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

all very valid reasons and all parts of the complex formula that led to the show's demise

Lieutenant Colonel

I am hoping that its a publicity stunt to get us all mad and then BAM! bring it back.

If not, I am building an alternate reality drive and going to a reality where it is still uncancelled.

Very nice work, and, IMHO, quite accurate.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Excellent article, and it's a shame some of these factors just weren't considered by Syfy.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

In next week's podcast discussion of the cancellation I make the point that, with two hours of WWE and a successful Sanctuary now occupying Friday nights for the foreseeable future, Syfy didn't have any viable place to move SGU back to (at least not that would have been any better than the competitive Tuesday time slot).

Diana Botsford made the very insightful observation that they could have tried SGU on Wednesdays, when scripted dramatic fare is more sparse on the networks, and moved the reality shows currently on Wednesdays over to Tuesdays -- when there is nothing else really like them on the networks. That sounds like smart counter-programming.

At the end of the day, I have to think that SGU and Caprica were the sacrificial lambs in Syfy's attempt to break into a new night of the week (in the fall season).

link doesn't work for me... why not just post it here
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    If not, I am building an alternate reality drive and going to a reality where it is still uncancelled.
    Can I come with you?

Agreed with all points. Many unfortunate factors lead to the cancellation.

(Moderator)

I never liked the tuesday night for either show, largely because i watch both NCIS' and the Good Wife, along with recording Detroit 187...and in the spring watch Deadliest Catch....basically there's plenty of competition and I never found either show compelling enough to not watch the network show (especially when, in the central time zone, i get it twice, so can tape it after 10pm)

Wednesday night, on the other hand, has only one show I watch.

If they had changed it to Wednesday I would have to choose either Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild (when Mythbusters is on break) or SGU, so it would be a good day since there isn't much competition.

Probie

Would love to read the article but all I get is a white page...

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Right now the Homepage is undergoing repair and so are various forum features.
    ( See Greg's threads in Forum Announcements.)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    In next week's podcast discussion of the cancellation I make the point that, with two hours of WWE and a successful Sanctuary now occupying Friday nights for the foreseeable future, Syfy didn't have any viable place to move SGU back to (at least not that would have been any better than the competitive Tuesday time slot).

Diana Botsford made the very insightful observation that they could have tried SGU on Wednesdays, when scripted dramatic fare is more sparse on the networks, and moved the reality shows currently on Wednesdays over to Tuesdays -- when there is nothing else really like them on the networks. That sounds like smart counter-programming.

At the end of the day, I have to think that SGU and Caprica were the sacrificial lambs in Syfy's attempt to break into a new night of the week (in the fall season).
    Yet W13 and Eureka have ran multiple eps in those timeslots and have had around or over 2 Million viewers. I mean a week before SGU's premiere, W13 had 2.4 Million viewers and went against premiere week of the major networks, the next week SGU rides in with only 1.1 Million viewers. Then SGU finished the first half with under 1.1 Million viewers, the next week with similar competition Eureka strolls in with 1.9 Million viewers, and W13 with 2.0 Million viewers.

Sorry, but it is not the timeslot or dayslot, it was the show itself. It did not have a strong appeal to the average casual viewer.

Syfy wanted to move SGU and Caprica so they could hopefully feed off those W13 and Eureka viewers. But people just did not get into the show, not because of competition or the weather or X-mas shopping, but because they are two different shows.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

(Moderator)

it's like expecting Castle's audience to follow to Detroit 187 just cause they're both crime solving shows.

WH13 and Eureka are quirky and don't take themselves too seriously. while caprica and SGU are heavy, one could argue heavy handed and serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    it's like expecting Castle's audience to follow to Detroit 187 just cause they're both crime solving shows.

WH13 and Eureka are quirky and don't take themselves too seriously. while caprica and SGU are heavy, one could argue heavy handed and serious.
    Well that's what I mean it is the kind of show, not the timeslot or day of the week. Heck, not saying SGU was horrible or amazing, that has nothing to do with it. It just did not capture the casual viewer, and the same went for Caprica.

I also mentioned in the ratings thread. The economy is bad, people are out of work. They don't want to see something dark and depressing after their long day.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Lovely article, Darren, with lots of food for thought. Thanks for giving us your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Yet W13 and Eureka have ran multiple eps in those timeslots and have had around or over 2 Million viewers. I mean a week before SGU's premiere, W13 had 2.4 Million viewers and went against premiere week of the major networks, the next week SGU rides in with only 1.1 Million viewers. Then SGU finished the first half with under 1.1 Million viewers, the next week with similar competition Eureka strolls in with 1.9 Million viewers, and W13 with 2.0 Million viewers.

Sorry, but it is not the timeslot or dayslot, it was the show itself. It did not have a strong appeal to the average casual viewer.
    The argument is not that Syfy doesn't have any business trying to program Tuesday nights in the fall season, but that SGU (and Caprica) was the wrong show to try it with. Warehouse 13 and Eureka are clearly more accessible to casual viewers, and so it should surprise no one that they fared better in the same time slots -- even against fall competition.