Opinion: Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion: Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled

This thread is for discussion of the GateWorld opinion piece "Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled" -

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...was-cancelled/

Thanks!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

i skimmed it but from what i read you totally nailed it.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      This thread is for discussion of the GateWorld opinion piece "Six Reasons SGU Was Cancelled" -

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...was-cancelled/

Thanks!
      Excellent writing Darren. I definitely agree about the decision to move to Tuesdays and SyFy acquiring Smackdown.
      sigpic

Comment

agreed with all of it

Comment

all very valid reasons and all parts of the complex formula that led to the show's demise
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I am hoping that its a publicity stunt to get us all mad and then BAM! bring it back.

If not, I am building an alternate reality drive and going to a reality where it is still uncancelled.

Comment

Very nice work, and, IMHO, quite accurate.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Excellent article, and it's a shame some of these factors just weren't considered by Syfy.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

In next week's podcast discussion of the cancellation I make the point that, with two hours of WWE and a successful Sanctuary now occupying Friday nights for the foreseeable future, Syfy didn't have any viable place to move SGU back to (at least not that would have been any better than the competitive Tuesday time slot).

Diana Botsford made the very insightful observation that they could have tried SGU on Wednesdays, when scripted dramatic fare is more sparse on the networks, and moved the reality shows currently on Wednesdays over to Tuesdays -- when there is nothing else really like them on the networks. That sounds like smart counter-programming.

At the end of the day, I have to think that SGU and Caprica were the sacrificial lambs in Syfy's attempt to break into a new night of the week (in the fall season).
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

link doesn't work for me... why not just post it here
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      If not, I am building an alternate reality drive and going to a reality where it is still uncancelled.
                      Can I come with you?

Agreed with all points. Many unfortunate factors lead to the cancellation.
                      sigpic

Comment

I never liked the tuesday night for either show, largely because i watch both NCIS' and the Good Wife, along with recording Detroit 187...and in the spring watch Deadliest Catch....basically there's plenty of competition and I never found either show compelling enough to not watch the network show (especially when, in the central time zone, i get it twice, so can tape it after 10pm)

Wednesday night, on the other hand, has only one show I watch.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If they had changed it to Wednesday I would have to choose either Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild (when Mythbusters is on break) or SGU, so it would be a good day since there isn't much competition.

Comment

Would love to read the article but all I get is a white page...

Comment

Right now the Homepage is undergoing repair and so are various forum features.
                              ( See Greg's threads in Forum Announcements.)
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                              X