The Ancients Level of Technology when Destiny was launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancients Level of Technology when Destiny was launched

Its interesting really, I like how the ancients technology is different to ours, I know a lot of people thought the whole steampunk aspect didn't fit in with space travel but its very possible that a different culture who's technology developed independently turned out that way...

But so far we know they had basic chair interface technology, had not integrated their genes into the technology like Atlantis does, but they were on that path we learned in Human.. we know they enjoyed using AI's (possible discontinued cos of the asurans?)

The control interface for Destiny seems to be all over the place though, it seems much more like they have to literally enter lines of code to execute a command rather then a point and click interface, and no automatic doors either, Im sure the technology was there but interesting that they didn't include it..
    I dunno what to put in here now..

On an Ancient Technological scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most advanced they ever got, Destiny rates at a 2.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
      *snip* and no automatic doors either, Im sure the technology was there but interesting that they didn't include it..
      Maybe they just didn't want doors opening and closing all the time to save energy. There's really no need to have doors that open automatically whenever someone is within 10 feet of it.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
        Maybe they just didn't want doors opening and closing all the time to save energy. There's really no need to have doors that open automatically whenever someone is within 10 feet of it.
        plus its a spaceship, they air lock themselves dont they? also, Atlantis' doors weren't automatic... they had to wave their hand in front of the switch

Comment

It also wouldn't help if there is an accident on the ship. Something big enough passes a sensor, and it could open a door with a hull breach on the other side. We have automatic doors, doesn't makes them a smart choice for submarines or a space station.

Ancient level of technology seems a bit weird. They had a Middle Ages lifestyle going on. It was as if their technology played no part in their daily lives. Using fire to keep warm, living in stone houses, using candles for light, writing in books and scrolls. It appeared as if the 50 million years from the Ancients leaving their home galaxy, to SG1 returning to that galaxy, how people lived didn't change. Yet despite appearances, they had the technology to build the Ark, build the Communication device, to at least have an idea on how to create Stargates, to build intergalactic spaceships within a mountain and to cross galaxies (so presumably had FTL technology too). Even the much later (potentially 3 million years ago) Dakara device and time machine still seemed to have this sort of Middle Ages feel to it, with large stone interfaces.

It would be interesting to see what caused the Ancients to from that technology and way of living to creating new, fancy and shiny stuff like City Ships, like the Outposts, even the new Pegasus gates. It was probably the plague, it caused them to develop and embrace technology for survival but still, I did like how the appearance of their technology (with the exception of City Ships) were able to hide the true power of it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
            Its interesting really, I like how the ancients technology is different to ours, I know a lot of people thought the whole steampunk aspect didn't fit in with space travel but its very possible that a different culture who's technology developed independently turned out that way...
            Travelers anyone?
            Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
            also, Atlantis' doors weren't automatic
            They have the capability. Like when a pathogen is introduced into the air. You have to remember though, Atlantis isn't a grocery store, it's a city. You wouldn't want me walking in whenever I felt like it just because the doors are automatic would you?
            Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            Ancient level of technology seems a bit weird. They had a Middle Ages lifestyle going on. It was as if their technology played no part in their daily lives. Using fire to keep warm, living in stone houses, using candles for light, writing in books and scrolls. It appeared as if the 50 million years from the Ancients leaving their home galaxy, to SG1 returning to that galaxy, how people lived didn't change. Yet despite appearances, they had the technology to build the Ark, build the Communication device, to at least have an idea on how to create Stargates, to build intergalactic spaceships within a mountain and to cross galaxies (so presumably had FTL technology too). Even the much later (potentially 3 million years ago) Dakara device and time machine still seemed to have this sort of Middle Ages feel to it, with large stone interfaces.
            The Nox and the Furling (yes, there's an entire episode dedicated to them!) shared this lifestyle. Perhaps all three have a "minimalist/ respect the planet" mentality about their cultures.

Come to think of it, the Asgard were really the only "technological" race, and they paid for it. Maybe the Ancients, Nox, and Furling wanted to avoid that kind of end.
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              It also wouldn't help if there is an accident on the ship. Something big enough passes a sensor, and it could open a door with a hull breach on the other side. We have automatic doors, doesn't makes them a smart choice for submarines or a space station.

It would be interesting to see what caused the Ancients to from that technology and way of living to creating new, fancy and shiny stuff like City Ships, like the Outposts, even the new Pegasus gates. It was probably the plague, it caused them to develop and embrace technology for survival but still, I did like how the appearance of their technology (with the exception of City Ships) were able to hide the true power of it.
              Well, we've seen this before. The Nox practically scream it. So it's not particularly weird. Most likely the reason was to live more harmoniously with the planet they were living on.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                *snip* The Nox and the Furling (yes, there's an entire episode dedicated to them!) shared this lifestyle. Perhaps all three have a "minimalist/ respect the planet" mentality about their cultures.*snip*
                How do you figure there was a Furlings episode? I don't remember that one and I've seen every episode multiple times.

Comment

How do you figure there was a Furlings episode? I don't remember that one and I've seen every episode multiple times.
                  Paradise Lost. It shows the lifestyle that the Furlings wished to lead.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    Paradise Lost. It shows the lifestyle that the Furlings wished to lead.
                    Apparently I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that one. I don't remember ever hearing that. I guess I know what my Stargate viewing will be for tonight.

Comment

Apparently I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that one. I don't remember ever hearing that. I guess I know what my Stargate viewing will be for tonight.
                      Yup yup.

sigpic

Comment

It's the episode where Jack and Maybourne are teleported to another planet through use of Furling Technology.

EDIT: lordofseas beat me to it!
                        sigpic
                        ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                          It's the episode where Jack and Maybourne are teleported to another planet through use of Furling Technology.

EDIT: lordofseas beat me to it!
                          Looks like I'm getting to that sooner than I wanted to. Damn XBox controller is being a pain in the ass.

Comment

Plus manually operated doors are easier to keep shut in the event of disaster..

Comment

The Furlings and the Nox don't really count though, at least how I see it.

The Furlings created a sanctuary but they had decided to give up technology. They didn't have a spaceship hidden in a mountain like the Ancients, or a huge floating city like the Nox. It was only just a group of Furlings who created that sanctuary, not them all.

With the Nox, we only saw one family living in the woods. While they may have looked like nature lovers, they still had a huge floating city. They are similar in a sense but then again, the other two species were never fully developed.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X