Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts/speculation on the future of the franchise.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts/speculation on the future of the franchise.

Ever since SG-1 went off air it seems like the series has continued to slide. Popularity for Atlantis was never what it was for SG-1, and popularity for Universe isnt even what it was for Atlantis. Traffic on these forums are WAY WAY WAY down from Gateworlds SG-1 days, MGM is in trouble and they dont do as many conventions as they used to anymore either. Im not sure that the popularity of SG-1 can ever be duplicated, are Gate's days numbered?
    Bring back SGA S6
    5.33%
    Bring back SG1 S11
    2.67%
    Get Revolution greenlit
    2.00%
    Get Extinction greenlit
    0.67%
    Kill the franchise for good
    21.33%
    Shelve the franchise until a reboot
    45.33%
    Both movies
    18.00%
    New series
    4.67%
    SG-1 Rocks!!

Fandoms wax and wane all the time it doesn't make the Franchise dead. Many more people who are on these forums watch the shows.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by seinfeldsg1 View Post
      Ever since SG-1 went off air it seems like the series has continued to slide. Popularity for Atlantis was never what it was for SG-1, and popularity for Universe isnt even what it was for Atlantis. Traffic on these forums are WAY WAY WAY down from Gateworlds SG-1 days, MGM is in trouble and they dont do as many conventions as they used to anymore either. Im not sure that the popularity of SG-1 can ever be duplicated, are Gate's days numbered?
      SG-1 was something special.

SGA for some was awesome and others thought it could have been taken for serious

SGU is a very different approach to the SG we all know.

as for the forum traffic assuming your only judging the SG area's that's a matter of prescriptive IMO i think it's about the same as it's been for years but you have to remember there is more to the forum then SG. i feel fandom is more stretched out and not just posting in 1 or 2 places anymore. plus darren has put measures in place to re leave a lot of the hate on the forum and a lot of people have left because of not being allowed to freely voice their opinions which were always negative. also people just move on with their lives get out of college start families start a careers being on a forum everyday isn't a priority anymore.

plus just the economy alone some people just can't afford to pay for internet anymore.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by seinfeldsg1 View Post
        SGA still holds the record for highest rated premiere episode by a drama series on SyFy. The last Season of SGA nearly matched what the 2nd season was doing. SG-1 and SGA were both successful, and well SG-1 was SG-1 don't see any other SG series topping that. SGU started off strong, they lost a little zing, but I think they will get those viewers back for Season 2. Once MGM gets their act together we will have SGU and SG movies.
        sigpic

Comment

short answer: no
          long answer: no, as its only dead when people say its dead

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            Once MGM gets their act together we will have SGU and SG movies.
            I was thinking you were serious until I read this
            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
              I was thinking you were serious until I read this
              why wouldn't he be serious brain's right. once MGM gets under control the chances of the movies getting the green light will most likely increase.

Comment

Yep, Stargate's days are numbered. Of course it is.

Now, what that number is, and how big it is, continue to be mysteries.

Oh, and it's not surprising that forum traffic is down; it's the hiatus season.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  ; it's the hiatus season.
                  also summer time for some of us

Comment

hmmm...as I remember SGU was one of the more expensive shows to make, if the franchise is dead, why do they pump money in it then?
                    They are not dead, just some people that don't like SGU see "their" franchise as dead, because nothing new comes out in the form of DVD movies.
                    A franchise is never dead when everybody still loves the shows and are still talking about them.
                    Do you also think the Star Trek franchise is dead? They are on a low atm, but that doesn t mean they are dead.

Comment

new trek movie coming out in 2012 last i checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        new trek movie coming out in 2012 last i checked.
                        Yes, 1.5 years or so...inbetween no series or other movies and such... so it looks more dead than the SG franchise, but at least ST is on the big screen.

Comment

Well its obviously not dead as we have a show on air at the moment.

Is it on a slide?....different question. It certainly isn't at SG1 or SGA premiere levels but thats because it has completely branched off into something different.

If SGU got canned and there were no movies on the horizon (and lets be really honest, we don't really have a horizon right now....just a faint hope, which is a little beyond the horizon), then you could safely say SG is dead.
                          sigpic

Comment

It seems more accurate to say that its on the decline and has been since the feature film.

Its not dead yet though.

Comment

These next few months when season 2 of SGU goes on air, will be very important for the franchise

Comment

Working...
                              X