Shield inconsistencies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield inconsistencies.

Am I the only one that wonders why Destiny can handle flying into the sun but can't handle a few ships?

Where is the logic?

Because a shield is intended to handle one kind of energy doesn't mean it can handle all kinds of energy.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Remember how Goa'uld personal shields could block a shot from a staff weapon or P-90, but when you throw a knife at them it goes right through? Same sort of thing.

Comment

And people keep failing to realize that the ship is also recharging while it's in the star. The shields protect it on approach, then get a boost from the recharge.

Comment

The hits from a couple of fighters are insignificant to diving into a star however. Before it's in the star the shields have to deal with solar winds, and in the star the mass of the entire star ( which is an insane amount, it's like a planet is sitting on you ) is crushing down on you. It's not like destiny has a sunscreen of factor billion and can therefor withstand going into a star but not shrug off a few fighters, unbelievable powers are exerted on the ship, unimaginably more than some blobs of plasma shot by a small fighter.

Yeah, it's a bit inconsistent. The shield recharging while inside accounts for it a little bit, but usually we see those energy gatherthingies only drop when the destiny has well been inside the star for half a minute or so. If it can't withstand fighters but can withstand a star by continually recharging then all the power accumulated ought to be used up by the time its out of the star, solar winds, magnetic field and radiation.

Comment

The hits from a couple of fighters are insignificant to diving into a star however. Before it's in the star the shields have to deal with solar winds, and in the star the mass of the entire star ( which is an insane amount, it's like a planet is sitting on you ) is crushing down on you. It's not like destiny has a sunscreen of factor billion and can therefor withstand going into a star but not shrug off a few fighters, unbelievable powers are exerted on the ship, unimaginably more than some blobs of plasma shot by a small fighter.
            inertial dampeners take care of the "planet sitting on you" part, and we know Shields can absorb energy and convert it to power.

oh and remember the Replicator episodes where the asgard and goauld weapons, normally blowing up enemy ships, are suddenly pea shooters

Comment

The worst thing for me is who build a shield that after 4 or 5 hits causes consoles to explode. Seriously? I'm fed up of watching sci-fi shows where the shield seems to trigger **** loads of pyrotechnics inside.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyJ View Post
                The worst thing for me is who build a shield that after 4 or 5 hits causes consoles to explode. Seriously? I'm fed up of watching sci-fi shows where the shield seems to trigger **** loads of pyrotechnics inside.
                Well, while it might not be realistic, it let's the audience know that the situation is dangerous. It has been that way since Star Trek.
                sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

The Shields were probably designed specifially to handle stars, weapons are a different story
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

The point is though that weapons tend to do danage via force ( mass x acceleration kind of thing ) and such, but if you fly inside a star you do not only experience intense heat ( which the shields might specifically handle ) but also tremendous forces trying to push through the shield from all sides. Let alone solar winds, G-forces and magnetic fields. One might argue that the shield is being continually recharged by being in the star, but 2 things:

1- Those things that drop down from under destiny's "wings" and gather energy only lower after the destiny is well inside the star. If the destiny can't withstand a bit of fighter weaponsfire for long it sure shouldn't be able to survive its trip long enough for it to lower the energycollecters and start recharging
                    2- Before destiny is in the star magnetic fields and solar wind should wreak havoc on it. Again, the shields at this point are not recharging yet and solar winds are probably as powerfull as weaponsfire ( some physicsperson here to elaborate on the powers of solarwind? )

If you want to argue that the shields might absorb energy like the ori shield that was enveloping & shrinking a planet then point 2 still stands. It gets pounded with immense forces before it reaches the star.

@ Thekillman: Don't inertial dampeners dampen the G-forces? With "a planet sitting on you" I meant it a bit more literal. The weight of a planet is crushing down on the shields, trying to squash it like a bug.

Inconsistency ftw. The sparks sometimes annoy me too. Wouldn't that amount to endless repairing of conduits? Odly enough we never see stuff like that happening on Ha'taks, hive-ships or other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                      Inconsistency ftw. The sparks sometimes annoy me too. Wouldn't that amount to endless repairing of conduits? Odly enough we never see stuff like that happening on Ha'taks, hive-ships or other.
                      Lots of Ha'tak battles have consoles explode. Camelot, Threads, and pretty much any time we see our allies and forces on the Ha'taks.

Now Asgard ships I can't remember exploding consoles, nor Ori ships or wraith hive ships. But Ancient ships, Traveler ships, yes we have seen it. The reason why it's only when our forces that we see it is easy from a film perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Nedrom View Post
                        Am I the only one that wonders why Destiny can handle flying into the sun but can't handle a few ships?

Where is the logic?
                        For all intents and purposes, the shield is never really drained in a star because it's also being powered by it. You can't say the same for weapons fire.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                          The point is though that weapons tend to do danage via force ( mass x acceleration kind of thing ) and such, but if you fly inside a star you do not only experience intense heat ( which the shields might specifically handle ) but also tremendous forces trying to push through the shield from all sides. Let alone solar winds, G-forces and magnetic fields.
                          The weapons we've seen are energy weapons, which (I'm guessing here) do damage using heat, not ballistic weapons which do damage via force.

The thing about a star is that it's spread out over the whole ship, not focused on a tiny spot like a weapon. That's what damages the shield. The shield is probably also tuned to efficiently block the wavelengths you find in a star, but energy weapons use different energies which aren't blocked as efficiently, so they're harder on the shield than a star.

Comment

Having your mobile phone get struck by lightning is not the same as plugging it into a charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                              The Shields were probably designed specifially to handle stars, weapons are a different story
                              ^this. the ship is meant to fly into the sun. you would think the ancients would have put in better shields against ships, but the ship is so old so maybe they aren't in the best shape.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X