No announcement yet.

A theory on Destiny, Seeder ships and the Gates they drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunelty as the show is coming to an end this is likely to be unresolved however to my mind there are two equally valid theories:

1) The one that would traslate better to tv that the 'structure' is actually something physical that destiny is heading for. for the more scientifically minded this doesn't make a lot of sense however for the more dramatically minded would be far more, well dramatic when they eventually do encounter it.

2) That the structure is as described embedded within the CBR and is therefore intangible. In that case I would suggest that the whole point of the destiny mission is to extend whats called a 'baseline' as far as possible. essentially turn one huge long line of stargates into a huge antenna/recieverwhich would allow them to get better readings on the CBR. This is just a much more advanced reason why bigger telescopes get better images (bigger diameter) and longer radio antennas can get clearer reception. Obviously this aint the most dramatic of theories but the one that makes the most scentific sense

Comment

i would be happier with #2, than #1. BUT either could work i suppose.

Comment

number 2 is definetly much better, but just as you said i guess we will never find out

Comment

unfortunately imho the gates can't really be used as antennae, or power transfers, or anything else that would require intergalactic signals - since the gates dropped from seedships can't even cover their own galaxy fully. they're short range, and unless there's a lot of boosters or the gates have that function built in, they can't transmit trans-galactically.
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

I havn't got an anwser for that one Keeper that would in any way be cannon other then the fact that we know that a 'standard' stargate ordinarily can't dial intergalactic, however with suitable modification (the ZPM) can dial at such ranges. Maybe once the baseline has extended far enough the plan was to activate them in some kind of one time use mode where they can dial at such ranges which drains most or all there power.

I just can't really see any other particular reason why so many gates would be seeded in what is effectively a long line and often on inhospitable worlds. Resource collection MAYBE but that sheer amount? providing exploration opportunities doesn't make much sense either. with 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone and likely a simlier amount in pegusus theyre already busy on the exploration side (i know atlantis came much later but the point is that at the destiny stage in the ancients exploration efforts they already have the ability to explore on an intergalactic scale using Destiny style craft, theres plenty of closer galaxys).

IMHO there is some compelling reason why they need to cross such vast distances and seed on the way and something like that makes the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RafK2 View Post
              I havn't got an anwser for that one Keeper that would in any way be cannon other then the fact that we know that a 'standard' stargate ordinarily can't dial intergalactic, however with suitable modification (the ZPM) can dial at such ranges. Maybe once the baseline has extended far enough the plan was to activate them in some kind of one time use mode where they can dial at such ranges which drains most or all there power.
              on the other hand, destiny itself - which is considerably more powerful than the gates - can't detect more than a handful at a time either. their range seems to be pretty woeful when even the ship's gate is so limited, despite that extra power.

I just can't really see any other particular reason why so many gates would be seeded in what is effectively a long line and often on inhospitable worlds. Resource collection MAYBE but that sheer amount? providing exploration opportunities doesn't make much sense either. with 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone and likely a simlier amount in pegusus theyre already busy on the exploration side (i know atlantis came much later but the point is that at the destiny stage in the ancients exploration efforts they already have the ability to explore on an intergalactic scale using Destiny style craft, theres plenty of closer galaxys).
              however, the seedships seem to have been sent well in advance of the destiny. we don't know what the worlds were like at the time gates were planted - but destiny itself was going to travel in a straight(ish) line so it makes sense that the most probable route - as well as probable alternatives, depending on circumstances - be seeded.

remember, the ancients apparently planned to come here, once upon a time. they, like us, would need to gather resources wherever they could, and though they would be more likely than us to take some of these with them, they're not likely to have enough for the full duration of the journey.

IMHO there is some compelling reason why they need to cross such vast distances and seed on the way and something like that makes the most sense.
              perhaps there is a reason other than allowing supplies to be gathered at viable intervals on viable worlds. i'm surprised rush or eli hasn't figured something like that out yet, though, and rush hardly seems to leave the bridge. such information would likely have been with the notes about the signal... but nothing apparent, as yet anyway.
              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

I don't buy it. if the ancients can travel to destiny they can be resupplied from Earth. Clearly the link to Destiny doesn't reqiure an Icarus planet per se as the original plan was to travel direct from Earth. That suggests that there was an alternative plan to power the stargate to dial that far. Even if that original plan didnt work out The people who designed the stargates originally would surely be able to figure out the Icarus method as well (after all modern Humans have only been using the gates for what? 15 years or so?) in the space of a year this method was used twice. Obviously we cannot comment on what the political geography of the Galaxy was at that point, however I doubt it was as volitile as it is now. So the link would likely be a lot safer and less prone to nasty people bombing the cr*p out of it.

Additionally as shown when Telford returned to Earth the Destiny has the caperbility to dial home and make that connection. The expedition, even when unfamilier with the Destiny techology, were able to get a good way towards making that happen and even succesful (to a very limited degree!) someone who has a full copy of the user manual would be able to do it and that would likley be part of the original plan. (perhaps the crew rotates off the ship every time it recharges or something similer)

No, resourcing isn't the reason for the Stargates. And even if it the reason, one would expect the seed ships to acompany Destiny and be despatched to locate the approriate resources as and when theyre needed not simply seed every planet along a certain corridor. That would also hold true for places of interest in relation to exploration.

We know that the seed ships are only seeding along a 'tube' roughly in a straight line (the episode where Eli and crew have to take a 50 50 guess as to which direction to travel) and theres no guerentee that whatever resources they would want are in that tube within a reasonable distance. That would be a very shoddy way of getting resupply.

The other explanation whilst im thinking about it would be that the gates don't need to be activated all at once. Destiny can merely gather the relevant readings from the gates as it travels along the corridor, however doing myself out of my own theory here... it would be far more sensible to plant the gates/sensors in space rather then on planets where they would be less subject to environmental conditions and one would also expect them to be planted in intergalactic space at intervals as well (unless of course the nature of these stargates requires them to be anchored to a planet).

Resourcing isnt the reason for the gates, and neither is exploration for explorations sake. They exist for another reason... which we'll never know

Comment

Any gate can technically dial another gate assuming basic dialling program in the DHD, its a power issue, so ofcourse Destiny could dial Earth, it was inside a star.

As for the Ancients travelling to Destiny - their has never been any evidence they did, and at the time they would have wanted to dial Destiny, they would have been within reach of ZPM(s) even though that technology was developed a LONG LONG millions LONG time after Destinies launch.

After re-watching the entire show on DVD (1080p Upscaled ) i noticed the way the FTL field envelops Destiny, i know there are FTL "modules" in the engine section of the ship so i think we all assumed they were engines "pushing" Destiny at FTL speeds.

After watching the FTL field it looked to me, more like Destiny was creating like a vacuum funnel infront of itself and it was pulling Destiny along, almost like the slipstream method from Andromeda just without the twists and turns and actual attaching strings.

Watch the way the light effect behaves around Destiny, which admittedly could be just for show, but the way they move just randomly reminded me of what Mckay said in "Tao of Rodney," he says "I just realised why light acts as particles and waves."

Looking at the light effect field of Destinys FTL i'd say it looks a hell of a lot like fluid light waves, bending, changing, merging, mingling etc etc

N.C

Comment

personally, i think the Ancients sent seed ships in EVERY direction, setting stargates on all planets that they might one day go to.......but Destiny was set out to follow a specific course, to follow after a specific seed ship.........but many seed ships were sent out to seed the ENTIRE universe with stargates

but going with the idea that you have presented......once Destiny was at a desired location, it could dial Atlantis.....a kino goes through, then turns off.....the Ancients would know that it came from Destiny, and then dial Destiny

Comment

concerning travelling direct from earth
                      you are forgetting a possibility, one that i like
                      it is said that Ra brought the stargate TO earth, and that the original symbol for earth was a circle with a line under it
                      the Destiny gate address point of origin was a pyramid with a circle above it
                      maybe the ancients intended to gate from a different planet, the original "At" world, which had the naquadria needed
                      personally, i really like this idea.....and since the series brought in a different point of origin for earth, it is a possibility.....that the Ancients had no intention of dialing from earth, but rather from the original "At" planet

Comment

Originally posted by Melbol Of Worlds View Post
                        personally, i think the Ancients sent seed ships in EVERY direction, setting stargates on all planets that they might one day go to.......but Destiny was set out to follow a specific course, to follow after a specific seed ship.........but many seed ships were sent out to seed the ENTIRE universe with stargates
                        Which makes me wonder if they ever found out if there were more than just the one code for a 9 chevron address.

Comment

Working...
                        X