Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Staff Sergeant

Question What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.

Default Re: What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

To cripple Destiny when the drone attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Chief Master Sergeant WindowsME's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadOnion View Post
    That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.
    In the sense of the actual story, yes it was to cripple Destiny when the drones attack like jelgate said.

In terms of being viewed from the crew's perspective, it was a chance to investigate an intact ship.They didn't realize the threat surrounding it until the drones were spotted.

In Star Trek, should the Enterprise never investigate because there is a chance it's a trap? It's obviously for story progression. Do you want the episode to be mindless and have Destiny just fly around and pewpew aliens and not actually gain some form of information or technology from the situations that present themselves?

Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.

Second Lieutenant

I think it killed one drone.

Staff Sergeant

As a writer, you should never send people off investigating when they find nothing and its irrelevant to the plot. The drones could have just attacked, there was no story "need" for the shuttle to have been involved.

Second Lieutenant

As a producer, you have to make sure you do these things in-budget. Exploring a ship, where all you have to do is set up a small set and have people walk through it, is much cheaper than having 20 more minutes of special effects.

From a writing standpoint, if the shuttle wasn't out there, they would have just jumped Destiny the moment the drones attacked. The shuttle was used to give them a reason to stay until the FTL drives were damaged. If the FTL were'nt damaged there would be no conflict, and thus, no episode.

Staff Sergeant

The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsME View Post
    Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.
    Ooh, I like that! I just let myself be immersed into the action.
    Last edited by sgc; November 30th, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: reworded

Quote Originally Posted by BadOnion View Post
    The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.
    No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that. They needed a delay, and they got it. However, I believe in that situation, they are supposed to use the shuttle for a little recon. That's what they should do as far as protocol. This is the same thing for Atlantis and later episodes of SG1. They'd take a jumper/Daedalus or Prometheus/Odyssey to go look around. That's what the point of Stargate is: to explore the universe.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that.
    Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeonK View Post
    Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.
    makes sense the ship been taking a beating

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    makes sense the ship been taking a beating
    Yep.

Which makes the shuttle trip all the more pointless as a plot device. There was no need to extend the damage Destiny was taking. A few drones targeting the engines and bam, they're damaged. *Shrug*

They would have jumped to FTL long before the shields failed, or were even shot at for that matter. The shuttle was necessary as an excuse.

The Official Toe Wiggler
    (Moderator)

I actually saw it more as a way to let Brody shine a bit in the show.

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

i think they brought it back for later episodes, i was actually hoping it wouldnt play a big part in this episode, i didnt want it to be like they just made an episode and shoved it in just in time .
    ''It's not what you have, it's how you use it.''
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1288172340

Yep.

Which makes the shuttle trip all the more pointless as a plot device. There was no need to extend the damage Destiny was taking. A few drones targeting the engines and bam, they're damaged. *Shrug*
    They'd have to know where to aim. If anything, they were lucky to hit the FTL Drive before Destiny could jump into FTL.

the shuttle stuff was their original plan. namely getting onboard, finding useful stuff and bringing it back on board.

of course that didn't go well. the point is that it was the point of going there in the first place!

While I did hope they'd at least see something interesting on the ursini ship ( at least a corpse ) the fact the shuttle trip didnt do anything worthwhile did not bother me. I watch the show to be entertained ( and I was ), not to nitpick

Destiny's shields are strong ( it could hold under bombardement from the blue's for something like an hour before they jumped ), but those drone weapons are ridiculously powerfull. Saw the simulation destiny put together? 0.o Poor Ursini.. they sent in 5 big ships, drones fly past once and the're all destroyed.

The shuttle trip was indeed totally uninteresting by itself. They could have at least discovered some background info on the owners of these ships, but even the events that lead to the giant debris field were figured out from Destiny itself. I as a viewer expect some kind of utility in the scenes I'm watching and a pay off for watching them. Here the only thing that shuttle trip did was delay Destiny. Fine, but it would have been a lot more interesting if they ALSO had actually discovered something useful on the ship itself. It needn't have been something directly tied to the plot of the episode because that would be too SGAesque, but at least some interesting information for the backdrop of the show was very warranted. I did not get the feeling of receiving a payoff for watching the shuttle trip. It's not the first time this happens on SGU either
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!