Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.

To cripple Destiny when the drone attack.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
      That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.
      In the sense of the actual story, yes it was to cripple Destiny when the drones attack like jelgate said.

In terms of being viewed from the crew's perspective, it was a chance to investigate an intact ship.They didn't realize the threat surrounding it until the drones were spotted.

In Star Trek, should the Enterprise never investigate because there is a chance it's a trap? It's obviously for story progression. Do you want the episode to be mindless and have Destiny just fly around and pewpew aliens and not actually gain some form of information or technology from the situations that present themselves?

Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.

Comment

I think it killed one drone.

Comment

As a writer, you should never send people off investigating when they find nothing and its irrelevant to the plot. The drones could have just attacked, there was no story "need" for the shuttle to have been involved.

Comment

As a producer, you have to make sure you do these things in-budget. Exploring a ship, where all you have to do is set up a small set and have people walk through it, is much cheaper than having 20 more minutes of special effects.

Comment

From a writing standpoint, if the shuttle wasn't out there, they would have just jumped Destiny the moment the drones attacked. The shuttle was used to give them a reason to stay until the FTL drives were damaged. If the FTL were'nt damaged there would be no conflict, and thus, no episode.

Comment

The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.

Comment

Originally posted by WindowsME View Post
                  Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.
                  Ooh, I like that! I just let myself be immersed into the action.
                  Last edited by sgc; 30 November 2010, 07:37 PM. Reason: reworded

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                    The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.
                    No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that. They needed a delay, and they got it. However, I believe in that situation, they are supposed to use the shuttle for a little recon. That's what they should do as far as protocol. This is the same thing for Atlantis and later episodes of SG1. They'd take a jumper/Daedalus or Prometheus/Odyssey to go look around. That's what the point of Stargate is: to explore the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                      No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that.
                      Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonK View Post
                        Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.
                        makes sense the ship been taking a beating
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          makes sense the ship been taking a beating
                          Yep.

Which makes the shuttle trip all the more pointless as a plot device. There was no need to extend the damage Destiny was taking. A few drones targeting the engines and bam, they're damaged. *Shrug*

Comment

They would have jumped to FTL long before the shields failed, or were even shot at for that matter. The shuttle was necessary as an excuse.

Comment

I actually saw it more as a way to let Brody shine a bit in the show.
                              sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Working...
                              X