This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you find SGU worth watching?

Someone on that site linked below asked this very question, whether its worth watching or not, as many non-fans do when they first hear about SGU. here is the site:

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_d...omment_3679285

What would you tell them? And why? You could go to that site and tell them what you think share your perspective.
    Last edited by Duneknight; 30 November 2010, 12:28 PM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    Someone on that site linked below asked this very question, whether its worth watching or not, as many non-fans do when they first hear about SGU. here is the site:

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_d...2?q=node/47612

What would you tell them? And why?
    I find it hard to separate my love of the Stargate franchise when deciding if SGU is worth watching, on its own merits I just don't think its a show that is worth tuning into each week. I don't find the plot particularly compelling and although I do appreciate sci-fi with a darker tone like DS9 and BSG I think SGU just takes it way too far. The show has some good actors but I don't think the writers are up to the task of writing something worthy of their talent.

I will always tune in though just because I love the franchise so much but for an average viewer with no ties to Stargate I just don't see the show having much value.

There are certainly some better episodes but I think the bar has been set so low that any improvement gets blown our of proportion by fans.

Comment

I think it is very worth watching - if you like a multi-part story that slowly unfolds, rather than episodes that start and end each story. It is more like a novel than a series of short stories, and that makes it very appealing to me.

Also, the acting is extremely good, and the special effects are lovely. Destiny is a lovely ship, and her story is completely absorbing to me.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

i personally dont find it worthwhile to watch which is a shame because i enjoyed the other two alot.
        sigpic
        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

i personally dont find it worthwhile to watch which is a shame because i enjoyed the other two alot.
          its different and IMO people should stop trying to make it something it's not.

people should learn to understand that stuff changes. a third incarnation of regular SG would've spammed 3 types of topics all over:

-why doesn't earth destroy the new enemy with one of it's billion superweapons, or hide from them

-why is the enemy even a threat?

-what is the use of this new superweapon

and a fourth

-why don't we get carter/mckay/atlantis

Comment

What would you tell them? And why?
            When it comes to 'telling' someone to do something, I think we are entering into a realm of foolishness. If people want to watch the show, they will do so without being told what to do.

Second, I do not get paid by MGM studios and SyFy. Since they hire people to advertise online and on television, I do not see why I have to do something in which someone gets paid heavily to do.

Even though I do enjoy watching the series, I have better things to do with my time than advertise.

Watch it if you like it. Don't watch it if you don't like it.

Its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Carter View Post
              When it comes to 'telling' someone to do something, I think we are entering into a realm of foolishness. If people want to watch the show, they will do so without being told what to do.

Second, I do not get paid by MGM studios and SyFy. Since they hire people to advertise online and on television, I do not see why I have to do something in which someone gets paid heavily to do.

Even though I do enjoy watching the series, I have better things to do with my time than advertise.
              sorry that you feel this way. But SGU's fanbase is rather "lacking" compared to others and it shows. Discussing stuff on Gateworld sure is fun but at the end all you are doing is exerting your influence onto other fans and not introducing new ones. I take Stargate seriously as though I'm invested in it so thats why I feel the need to do such "foolish" things. Nobody told you to tell them to watch it but rather explain to them what the show is, because right now people dont really now what to make of it.
              sigpic

Comment

No of course I don't find SGU woth watching. I do it to torture myself
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Yes, I find it rewarding to watch.
                  sigpic
                  http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                  http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    No of course I don't find SGU woth watching. I do it to torture myself
                    Thats what I used to do with CSI.
                    sigpic

Comment

sorry that you feel this way. But SGU's fanbase is rather "lacking" compared to others and it shows. Discussing stuff on Gateworld sure is fun but at the end all you are doing is exerting your influence onto other fans and not introducing new ones. I take Stargate seriously as though I'm invested in it so thats why I feel the need to do such "foolish" things. Nobody told you to tell them to watch it but rather explain to them what the show is, because right now people dont really now what to make of it.
                      I understand and respect your approach, but I think there are several reasons why people do not watch the series. Two of those reasons are rather simple. People just do not like "Stargate: Universe" or the "Stargate" franchise. Regardless about what you do to 'get the word out', you cannot change other people's likes and dislikes.

Second, SyFy and MGM studios have advertising executives who get paid BIG money for this type of campaign. If they throw me $60,000 a year, I would have no problem hyping the series.

Don't sell your voice for free.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        its different and IMO people should stop trying to make it something it's not.

people should learn to understand that stuff changes. a third incarnation of regular SG would've spammed 3 types of topics all over:

-why doesn't earth destroy the new enemy with one of it's billion superweapons, or hide from them

-why is the enemy even a threat?

-what is the use of this new superweapon

and a fourth

-why don't we get carter/mckay/atlantis
                        im aware things change i was just answering the question with my opinion.
                        sigpic
                        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I do. Very much so. It's a completely fresh take on the franchise and one I really like. I've gotten people interested in the show just from the trailer. People who aren't even fans of the previous series' and are extremely taken with Universe now. Just show 'em the trailer.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I weened myself off of SGU a few weeks back. I had no real feelings toward the series, I don't really care about the characters.

I did that in a way to avoid any unintentional attachment to the series, as it's looking about 99% positive that it'll be canceled. I may have to do that with Fringe too, as Fox moved it to Fridays to burn off the remaining episodes.

In short, it's not worth watching a series (if you want to start watching now), if it's going to be canceled without any resolution.

Comment

SGU is as needed as oxygen.

Comment

Working...
                              X