Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question/spoiler about the old and new seires.

Spoiler:
    In homecoming. Todd/Guide mentions that he has/had a daughter named Snow. Was this ever mentioned in the previous series or just in homecoming?
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure it never was, before this novel.

Comment

i'm not overly keen on the actual names given to the wraith in the books (yes, todd will always/only be todd to me too!), but understand the necessity of naming them - how else would the writers distinguish who they were talking about in a book/series (hopefully) full of wraith characters if all they said was 'the male wraith', 'the commander' or 'the queen' etc every time - things might get a tad confusing very quickly!

sheppard's names for them were great 'cos they were just so wrong!! i quite liked the 'did they/didn't they name themselves thing being a mystery ... bit like we don't know what the doctor's really called in doctor who or capt jack in torchwood. anyway, i loved the book and am really looking forward to the next installment.

Spoiler:
        just hope queen death doesn't turn out to be todd's daughter or similar as that's a tad obvious ... still if he has to choose her or atlantis ... and chooses atlantis, shepp might finally trust him!
        Last edited by mercy moon; 15 January 2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mercy moon View Post
          i'm not overly keen on the actual names given to the wraith in the books (yes, todd will always/only be todd to me too!), but understand the necessity of naming them
          Yes, that's exactly how I felt, too. Then again, I'm in another fandom where characters have "English word names" ( Elfquest ), and right now I'm having huge problems coming up with names for my characters. So I understand how difficult it can be, coming up with a name that encompasses the central traits of the character, as they distinguish him/her from other characters of that species, and still is reasonably short and pretty in written form. Then of course there's the question if it's even possible to have unique names for each Wraith, or if there could possibly be more than one "Guide" ( like there are lots of "John Smith" ). Is "Guide" his full name, or is it actually "Guide of [insert hive of birth / current residence here]" or something? ( Somehow I don't think Wraith have social security numbers... ) Maybe not all Wraith have personal names, maybe they have to earn them through some sort of accomplishment? ( There is the term "hive mind" after all. ) How many Wraith are there, how many words in the Wraith language, is there a telepathic component to a name, like a certain feeling like humans have individual scents? ( Like I'm pretty sure that a big part of how my cat sees my identity is my scent. ) Interesting questions... probably already explored in Wraith-centric fanfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.UrsulaKenmore View Post
            I'm not sure I got as much out of this book as everyone else did. Don't get me wrong, the parts of this book that are mission based were just pure good, totally awesome SGA, but there were some glaring character issues that I came across that just jolted me out of reading the book for a moment. I'd have to regroup and go back in. At about page 89, the character discrepancies got to be so great that I had to tell myself just think of this book like a STAR TREK Myriad Universes "what if" sort of a thing just to finish it. I was glad that Melissa made an apology for such problems in the author's note at the end though. But still...I'm not sure I hold out much hope for The Lost coming out soon. The Sheppard-Teyla-Torren thing and Teyla all of a sudden basically abandoning her people and son...I don't know. That's all I can really say, I just don't know.
            *Goes to check out page 89 and note at end of the book.* I'll be back to comment on that later.

However, I will say this: In EATG, Torren and Kanaan were left on New Athos for their protection - so it makes sense that she didn't bring them into a war with her. How many warriors/military people does anyone know of that take their infant children into war with them??? Just sayin'...

Again, like Arnold, I'll be back...

UPDATE:

Okay, I read page 89 (I still have yet to read the book, btw), and the flying thing was a little odd. Melissa wrote what I'd call a fairly standard disclaimer for someone new to the Stargate franchise, Atlantis particularly, but she said she got a lot of help and feedback from "early readers." Plus Jo isn't new to Stargate, and so I think that the book might be something I'll enjoy in spite of a few little things here and there. I'll see.
            Last edited by Atlantis4Life; 15 January 2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Amazon.de seems to have finally received their shipment. They sent my order out yesterday (I'd pre-ordered it in november...).
              Can't wait to finally read it!
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                just hope queen death doesn't turn out to be todd's daughter or similar as that's a tad obvious ... still if he has to choose her or atlantis ... and chooses atlantis, shepp might finally trust him!
                The only reason I could see Todd doing that is if Death's plan turns out to be really stupid and will destroy all the humans in the galaxy.
                Bit of a oops on the wraiths part.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                  yay. Finallly got my copy of homecoming.
                  2 chapters in and I must say.. Its as good a read as the show was to watch.

They managed to capture the humor most excellently.
                  Agreed! I am a proud Wraith Worshipper and, although the book is 98% focused on the humans, I still found the human parts also made my jaw drop with well-thought details like how Zelenka's birthplace impacted his views and how Teyla felt the Tau'ri might view her native culture. I also found the Todd parts to be very well-fitting for what was established about his character in the show, especially in regards to wasteful practices.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                  I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some drastic changes. I want to see someone die and I want to see them use this lack of reset button.

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                  A question/spoiler about the old and new seires.

Spoiler:
                  In homecoming. Todd/Guide mentions that he has/had a daughter named Snow. Was this ever mentioned in the previous series or just in homecoming?
                  Spoiler:
                  Only in Homecoming - Snow was his consort and Queen; their daughter's name was not given.

i'm not overly keen on the actual names given to the wraith in the books (yes, todd will always/only be todd to me too!), but understand the necessity of naming them - how else would the writers distinguish who they were talking about in a book/series (hopefully) full of wraith characters if all they said was 'the male wraith', 'the commander' or 'the queen' etc every time - things might get a tad confusing very quickly!

Spoiler:

I actually don't mind the names so much and think Guide lives up to his name for his people. Going back far enough, most names have meanings derived from words in other languages. Root names and meanings can be found for SGA names like John, Elizabeth, Richard, and Radek.

There is also still the possibility that the Wraith names might be different in the Wraith language with approximations being as close as possible to writing them in Tau'ri print.

Spoiler:
                  I got the impression QD was born long after Guide's daughter was born and she also has a different hair color (scarlet vs. black, although it could have been changed naturally or artificially). I hope QD isn't his daughter (or grand-daughter for that matter) after she was throwing him hints that she has no consort and John was detecting some attraction from Guide for QD!

My prediction:
                  Spoiler:

Jennifer will find a viable solution to Wraith feeding needs. The writers seem to be building a case for it by emphasizing how tragic the need for such a solution is on both sides, building tension in the story that needs to be resolved. Also, Jennifer charging herself with this task could be foreshadowing.

Comment

See...

However, I will say this: In EATG, Torren and Kanaan were left on New Athos for their protection - so it makes sense that she didn't bring them into a war with her. How many warriors/military people does anyone know of that take their infant children into war with them??? Just sayin'...

That's what I'm kinda talking about. Torren never went to Earth with Teyla so how could he have possibly ended up on Earth with her when they could dial back? And if they could dial back why would Kanaan send just Torren through and not go with him too? It's such a little thing and yet such a big thing in terms of character that it seemed odd to me that that would be one of the authors discrepancies.
                    sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=mercy moon;12250672]i'm not overly keen on the actual names given to the wraith in the books (yes, todd will always/only be todd to me too!), but understand the necessity of naming them - how else would the writers distinguish who they were talking about in a book/series (hopefully) full of wraith characters if all they said was 'the male wraith', 'the commander' or 'the queen' etc every time - things might get a tad confusing very quickly!

Me too. They just sounded kind of...well, lame.
                      sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, "Homecoming" is still an !awesome! read. It was just there were some facts and character things that caught me off guard. And they were such easy things to take into account that what threw me the most about them was that they hadn't been taken into account. But still "Homecoming" is a good book and I've got "The Lost" already on pre-order. (I've got to find out what happens next and please don't let Rodney be the one that might get killed, Please, Please, PLEASE!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

See...
                          That's what I'm kinda talking about. Torren never went to Earth with Teyla so how could he have possibly ended up on Earth with her when they could dial back? And if they could dial back why would Kanaan send just Torren through and not go with him too? It's such a little thing and yet such a big thing in terms of character that it seemed odd to me that that would be one of the authors discrepancies.
                          I'll get back to you once I've read the book. That might be a little while since I've still got to read Death Game first. Whenever I want to read these books, I don't have the time. And when I do have time, I don't feel like reading so I watch an episode instead... Still, I promise that I'll get back to you about this. I just don't want to give a full comment on a book I have yet to read.

Cheers.

Comment

See...

Actually, according to Joe Mallozzi in one of his blogs, somebody asked them about Torren and Kanan, and his reply was they were on Atlantis with Teyla when Atlantis went to earth. Even though nothing was said in EatG, this was Joe's answer to that question.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Spoiler:

If Snow was his daughter, it actually said she died. On Page 35, it said that Snow died when his hive was damaged in one of the last battles of the Wraith/Ancient war.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                                Spoiler:

If Snow was his daughter, it actually said she died. On Page 35, it said that Snow died when his hive was damaged in one of the last battles of the Wraith/Ancient war.
                                Spoiler:

Snow was the hive Queen and per Jo's Livejournal answer to a question about an upcoming book,
                                Spoiler:

"We also see, in flashback, Todd/Guide's daughter, Alabaster, as a child in his memory, and find out what happened to her and how he came to be captured by the Genii."

Comment

Working...
                                X