Destiny - Sparks Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny - Sparks Flying

I know this is probably just for show, but I can't help but notice this every time the ship is under attack. Sparks fly from the walls and it breaks the realism for me because I can't find a reason for sparks to be flying out from everywhere considering the shield is up. Lights flickering makes sense because the shield may suddenly need to take power from other areas to boost strength temporarily, but why do sparks fly? Any ideas? I really hope there is a reason because I can't ignore it x_x.
    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
    Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Young: "What the hell was that?"
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

It bothered me most in SG1 and Atlantis where ships saw a lot more action, why weren't they forever repairing the wiring and systems on their ships?

But it's just there for dramatic effect, try not to think about it.

Comment

If the shield suddentl need a bunch of power and is tries to send it and the power channels cant handle it they could blow, plus they could be lights on the channel that get too much power and blow

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Hopper View Post
        It bothered me most in SG1 and Atlantis where ships saw a lot more action, why weren't they forever repairing the wiring and systems on their ships?

But it's just there for dramatic effect, try not to think about it.
        It's very hard not to x_x

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        If the shield suddentl need a bunch of power and is tries to send it and the power channels cant handle it they could blow, plus they could be lights on the channel that get too much power and blow
        That's possible, but I don't think they want the ship any darker than what it already is

Spoiler:
        *beep*
        Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
          I know this is probably just for show, but I can't help but notice this every time the ship is under attack. Sparks fly from the walls and it breaks the realism for me because I can't find a reason for sparks to be flying out from everywhere considering the shield is up. Lights flickering makes sense because the shield may suddenly need to take power from other areas to boost strength temporarily, but why do sparks fly? Any ideas? I really hope there is a reason because I can't ignore it x_x.
          You must really have hated Star Trek then

Most sci fi shows that are set in space are influenced in some way by "the Rod" and this is one of those things, because every engineer in that franchise thought it would be a great idea to run plasma conduits behind every panel, down every corridor of every ship.

escyos has probably offered the best "in universe" explaination you'll get. The ship is old, and the systems are too worn out to be able to take the abuse they're subjected to without failing.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
            You must really have hated Star Trek then

Most sci fi shows that are set in space are influenced in some way by "the Rod" and this is one of those things, because every engineer in that franchise thought it would be a great idea to run plasma conduits behind every panel, down every corridor of every ship.

escyos has probably offered the best "in universe" explaination you'll get. The ship is old, and the systems are too worn out to be able to take the abuse they're subjected to without failing.
            I've never seen Star Trek (yes, okay, I'll leave the room.) xD

Yeah, I thought that it would be too old, but then this doesn't make sense when they flew into the sun.

Spoiler:
            *beep*

Comment

sparks are exciting visually?
              haven't we been told several times that a lot of the ship's conduits are fried?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I've never seen Star Trek (yes, okay, I'll leave the room.) xD

Yeah, I thought that it would be too old, but then this doesn't make sense when they flew into the sun.
                Destiny shut down most of her systems every time we've seen her fly into a star. There's nothing to overload if nothing's drawing power.

Flying into a star is different, too. The power requirements would steadily rise until the star powers the shields, whereas in battle, power requirements spike as they get hit, and energy is drawn from whatever source possible.

At least, that's the best explaination I can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  sparks are exciting visually?
                  haven't we been told several times that a lot of the ship's conduits are fried?
                  Yes, but I just can't imagine the sparks flying like they do, there doesn't seem to be any structure to where the sparks fly from apart from that they're in the upper corners of the corridors.

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                  Destiny shut down most of her systems every time we've seen her fly into a star. There's nothing to overload if nothing's drawing power.

Flying into a star is different, too. The power requirements would steadily rise until the star powers the shields, whereas in battle, power requirements spike as they get hit, and energy is drawn from whatever source possible.

At least, that's the best explaination I can offer.
                  That's a really great point.

Spoiler:
                  *beep*

Comment

There are like the lens flare in ST:XI , they think that it looks nice
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

i hate the sparks too. and yes it's just dramatic effect

Comment

I wouldn't mind the sparks if there were a valid reason for it, made obvious on the show.

Spoiler:
                        *beep*

Comment

Which is more exciting?

Spoiler:
                          A man lies still in his bed, fast asleep. Beside him, the clock reads 2:09 am.

INTERCOM: Captain, you are needed on the bridge. The ship is under attack.

Captain: (groans) Give me 20 minutes. I'll roll out of bed, take a shower and be there soon.

The captain casually rolls over, rubs his eyes, and lets out a heavy sigh

Captain: Thank god for shields.

Or

Spoiler:
                          A man lies still in his bed, fast asleep. Beside him, the clock reads 2:09 am. Suddenly, two brilliant flashes of lights strike the ship. The room lurches under the man, and sparks eject from the door panel

INTERCOM: Captain! We're under attack!

Another flash of light, another lurch. This time, a low growl can be heard from several decks below.

Captain: (Jumps out of bed) Damage report!

INTERCOM: We just lost deck 47C, hull breach!

Captain: Seal off the affected areas, I'm on my way to the bridge!

Three more blasts contact the ship. Inside, various panels overload and erupt sparks. Panels over head, along with the interior lights, burst into flame. A siren sounds.

*Spoiled to keep post box short*

The sparks add excitement, some call it drama, to the ship-to-ship fight scenes. It makes the situation seem more dire.
                          sigpic
                          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

I hate the sparks. They bothered me most in SGA and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates them.
                            "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

If you have a starship, it must shower sparks when attacked. It's practically an industry standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X