Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Destiny - Sparks Flying

Quote Originally Posted by webxro View Post
    StarGate is above and beyond the industry , they should do something better
    OMG! Best idea! Instead of sparks shooting out, they should have quick bursts of green flames. It wouldn't make any sense, but still... haha.
    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
    Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Young: "What the hell was that?"
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzza View Post
    OMG! Best idea! Instead of sparks shooting out, they should have quick bursts of green flames. It wouldn't make any sense, but still... haha.
    I think it's a GREAT idea!

____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfire32 View Post
    I think it's a GREAT idea!
    Haha, apt signature

Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    If you have a starship, it must shower sparks when attacked. It's practically an industry standard.
    Yup. Just like the baddie always has to pontificate to the captured good guys, about his plans..

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Yup. Just like the baddie always has to pontificate to the captured good guys, about his plans..
    Everyone knows why they do the evil things they do: bragging rights

____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Probie

I think that it's odd that the lights that fry and spray sparks during a fight suddenly work again as soon as Destiny is no longer being fired upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakshaa View Post
    I think that it's odd that the lights that fry and spray sparks during a fight suddenly work again as soon as Destiny is no longer being fired upon.
    You could say that loose metal ends are scraping against eachother as the ship shakes causing sparks to fly out, but then you'd ask why this doesn't happen when there's turbulence.

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Perhaps shields cant stop the whole blast wave or force - or whatever sciencey word is needed here - from passing through to the ship. The impacts on the shields overload something. Or perhaps we have no clue as to how to build an intergalactic spaceship and so dont know how there wired or why there wired that way.

I cant see why folks need an explanation for that, but Warp/Hyperdrives, energy shields, wormhole machines, the fact our tech seems to be able to intergrate perfectly fine with tech far beyond anything the guys at Sony or Dell could comprehend but crashes when you want to watch videos on youtube, 2 galaxy's full of English speakers (Mostly American English at that), Precognition, The fact that super advanced aliens who leave their crap everywhere forgot to leave much here, even though they seem to have spent a hell of a long time here, Going back and forth in time, coming back from the dead....a lot, Teleportation, Psychic stones and so on.

Spoilered for confusing science.
    Spoiler:
    Or perhaps Destiny is being shot at with Nintendos. Its common knowledge that they pass through everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ukko View Post
    Perhaps shields cant stop the whole blast wave or force - or whatever sciencey word is needed here - from passing through to the ship. The impacts on the shields overload something. Or perhaps we have no clue as to how to build an intergalactic spaceship and so dont know how there wired or why there wired that way.

I cant see why folks need an explanation for that, but Warp/Hyperdrives, energy shields, wormhole machines, the fact our tech seems to be able to intergrate perfectly fine with tech far beyond anything the guys at Sony or Dell could comprehend but crashes when you want to watch videos on youtube, 2 galaxy's full of English speakers (Mostly American English at that), Precognition, The fact that super advanced aliens who leave their crap everywhere forgot to leave much here, even though they seem to have spent a hell of a long time here, Going back and forth in time, coming back from the dead....a lot, Teleportation, Psychic stones and so on.

Spoilered for confusing science.
    Spoiler:
    Or perhaps Destiny is being shot at with Nintendos. Its common knowledge that they pass through everything
    Hahaha.

Well, if that is the case, I still don't understand why nothing happens when they're travelling through a star and the turbulence is high.

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Actualy, after some consideration, there is a good reason for sparks flying.

Destiny is old and definetly showing it's age. Therefore, the insulation around a lot of the wires is frayed, cracked, etc. Under normal operations, the shields don't pull much power, and the current stays in the wire. But when under fire, it draws a lot more current, which overcomes the resistance of the air and current starts jumping from the wires to the (grounded) walls-hence a lot of sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by albert12 View Post
    Actualy, after some consideration, there is a good reason for sparks flying.

Destiny is old and definetly showing it's age. Therefore, the insulation around a lot of the wires is frayed, cracked, etc. Under normal operations, the shields don't pull much power, and the current stays in the wire. But when under fire, it draws a lot more current, which overcomes the resistance of the air and current starts jumping from the wires to the (grounded) walls-hence a lot of sparks.
    I see, that's not a bad explanation... but how would that tie in to when they experience turbulence?

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzza View Post
    I see, that's not a bad explanation... but how would that tie in to when they experience turbulence?
    The only thing I can think of is that some vital part that helps compinsate for turbulance is not functioning, so the shields aren't able to anticipate and gently ranp up current, instead responding to it as though it was weapons fire.

Quote Originally Posted by albert12 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that some vital part that helps compinsate for turbulance is not functioning, so the shields aren't able to anticipate and gently ranp up current, instead responding to it as though it was weapons fire.
    Yeah, that's all I came up with too xD. Well, at least I have a good answer (thanks ) if anybody asks while we're watching the show (I'm showing my family the entire series).

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Chief Master Sergeant WindowsME's Avatar

Shield(s). I always figured certain areas of the shields covering the ship would weaken and remain weakened.(Somewhat like a piece of armor) Rather than having the shields cover the entire ship equally, if an area of the shields were damaged then they would hold, but diminish under any additional fire.

In my opinion that makes more sense than having the shields covers 100 percent of Destiny for designated time, where one area of the ship could receive 100 percent of the fire and the entire ship's shield energy is depleted.

Staff Sergeant

I hate the sparks too.

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsME View Post
    Shield(s). I always figured certain areas of the shields covering the ship would weaken and remain weakened.(Somewhat like a piece of armor) Rather than having the shields cover the entire ship equally, if an area of the shields were damaged then they would hold, but diminish under any additional fire.

In my opinion that makes more sense than having the shields covers 100 percent of Destiny for designated time, where one area of the ship could receive 100 percent of the fire and the entire ship's shield energy is depleted.
    That's another reasonable explanation.

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
    I hate the sparks too.
    Then you must hate darn near every scifi film, sine they all use sparks as a sign the ship is in trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
    Destiny shut down most of her systems every time we've seen her fly into a star. There's nothing to overload if nothing's drawing power.

Flying into a star is different, too. The power requirements would steadily rise until the star powers the shields, whereas in battle, power requirements spike as they get hit, and energy is drawn from whatever source possible.

At least, that's the best explaination I can offer.
    Exactly. That's exactly what I was thinking! It would also explain why new ships spark.
    Last edited by sgc; December 7th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: encompassed new ships

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Then you must hate darn near every scifi film, sine they all use sparks as a sign the ship is in trouble..
    Well, you can hate sparks but not the film or show itself , but seeing as there have been some great answers on this thread, I actually don't mind the sparks now.

Spoiler:
    *beep*

Second Lieutenant

Sparks and shaking are annoying.

The captain saying "Seal off the affected areas!" is even more annoying. Any ship capable of traveling FTL is certainly capable of sealing off damaged areas as necessary long before any human could identify the problem, call a command so a subordinate and said lackey take the appropriate action. By the time the captain yelled "Sea..." it would have already been done.

That sequence should go more like "Sir, hull breach section 40C, sealed, 5 crew MIA, Emergency Response Team Bravo in-route."