Hypnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypnosis

I have a problem Wray and her ability to hypnotize folks. I found it to be a bit too convenient that her ability to do this is revealed at this time.

Why hasn't she brought forward her ability to do this at some earlier point in time, say when Chloe and Rush were recovered from the blue aliens?

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

The whole episode was so not in tune with the current story line. Just one whole whacky episode. She will probably never use hyptnosis again.

Comment

Chloe and Rush didn't experience any memory loss. Rush knew exactly what happened to him, and so did Chloe, aside from the times they were unconscious.

Comment

I wouldn't call her an expert on it. Probably took a course on it way back in university. Besides it looked more like a little bit of an extension of her consoling abilities.

I don't think she was that good with it tbh and that it was just a case where the memories were going to progress naturally by themselves or that they were timed to be released. Afterall it didn't take long for Eli just to talk out some of the memories with the first death scientist without hypnosis.

I think all Wray really did was just get them in a position where they were forced to concentrate on their memories and then the induced amnesia or whatever it was just quickly unraveled from there.

Comment

I smell an ex deus machina.So the aliens found Caine.....probed his mind and probably used a supergate to get that shuttle to Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            I have a problem Wray and her ability to hypnotize folks. I found it to be a bit too convenient that her ability to do this is revealed at this time.
            Me too. Where were her abilities when they suspected Telford was a spy?

Comment

And what do you think she would have been able to do with telford. Depending on his type of brainwashing, hypnotism wouldn't have even worked.

Comment

Lawl, of course it was convienient. Of course it'll never be mentioned again. Let's just leave it at that and continue to make threads about her being "overqualified" and thus, a spy.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

hypnosis is not magic. it's a method to reach a state of mind where conscious and subconscious barriers relax. it's not something done in 10 seconds, it doesn't even give you control. and you can't get people's PIN codes.

however, it DOES help with memory loss with cooperative people. since it relaxes the subconscious barriers, you essentially have less resistance to remembering certain things. incredibly useful for traumas.

since it has no use in interrogation as far as i know (the person under hypnosis is still in conscious control) it had no use before. you need cooperation from the person you're hypnotising, and it was a skill she never needed on Destiny before and had no use for.

why mention all your capacities when some are irrelevant

Comment

Why didn't she use it on LA people? Ginn would be probably still alive if Simeon would have been hypnotized and told them about his plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
                      Why didn't she use it on LA people? Ginn would be probably still alive if Simeon would have been hypnotized and told them about his plans.
                      Hypnosis only works if the person being hypnotized is cooperating; this would also apply to Telford.

The use of hypnosis in intelligence would present certain technical problems not encountered in the clinic or laboratory. To obtain compliance from a resistant source, for example, it would be necessary to hypnotise the source under essentially hostile circumstances. There is no good evidence, clinical or experimental, that this can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
                        You did read the post above yours, didn't you?

When in hypnosis you are still in control, it just helps to relax the subconscious barriers. It can't be used to force someone to tell something. You need to be cooperative.

Comment

correct.

for people with trauma, their subconscious hides their memories out of self-protection. it's essentially subconsciously forced specific amnesia.

Hypnosis weakens (doesn't destroy) that barrier so the person hypnotized can fight it, with help from the person hypnotizing, by, say, talking about emotionally intense moments the person experienced in relation to their hidden memories.

if the person is not cooperative, Hypnosis is moot. it's merely helping.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post

Why hasn't she brought forward her ability to do this at some earlier point in time, say when Chloe and Rush were recovered from the blue aliens?

regards,
                            G.
                            I don;t really have a problem with it so much, having seen some form of hypnosis used on a lot of shows. Nobody started clucking like a chicken or channelling their dead aunt, it seemed more about getting people to a relaxed state where they were able to remember more clearly. Isn't this something common enough in some professions? Isn't this a part of getting witnesses to remember details etc? I think most of the crew would have skills that haven't cropped up before, just as most of us have things that we can do that nobody may have asked about before. I think Wray didn't mention it because a) it wasn't important before and b) would Young have trusted her with it?
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I think Wray didn't mention it because a) it wasn't important before and b) would Young have trusted her with it?
                              i think option A had more weight than option B. it was never relevant before, and Wray clearly knows the limitations. it's one of those things you can but don't put on your CV.

it's like saying you're very good at airsoft when your job is accountant

Comment

Working...
                              X