Did he have a Soul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did he have a Soul?

Let's assume that Dr. Caine did not die, seeing as they left the episode open at the end as to whether he lived or died.

Remember how Young said that he couldn't help wanting to leave a room after seeing them for more than a minute - the only time he really saw them was when he was looking directly at Caine. Later in the episode, I think it was TJ who said that it's because you the crew from Eden didn't have souls (somebody said it, sorry, my memory fails me) that Young felt weird - whether she said it like that or the dots were connected in my mind, I'm not sure.

Anyway, also in the episode Caine says that he remembered something that nobody should remember - he's already dead. If this is the case and it turns out next week that Caine is still alive, then this throws out everything:
    -Caine didn't know he was dead.
    -It wasn't because Caine had no soul that he felt weirded out by them.

Thoughts?
    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
    Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Young: "What the hell was that?"
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Gah, made a few errors in there. If a moderator could please edit these quick errors, that'd be great.

-It wasn't because Caine had no soul that he felt weirded out by them.

Should be:

-It wasn't because Caine had no soul that Young felt weirded out by them.

and

I think it was TJ who said that it's because you the crew from

should be

I think it was TJ who said that it's because the crew from

I've probably got other errors in there, but I'm tired xD. Thanks if you can edit it.

Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

I don't think anyone has a soul.

Comment

I don't believe in souls, so perhaps predictably my answer is "no"
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Haha, I don't believe in souls either, but I am talking about the story.

Spoiler:
          *beep*

Comment

I believe in the existence of the human soul, spirit, force that drives us, however you wish to put it and yeah, if you were lacking that? No wonder people feel weird around you *shudder*
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              I believe in the existence of the human soul, spirit, force that drives us, however you wish to put it and yeah, if you were lacking that? No wonder people feel weird around you *shudder*
              Yes, but if Caine ends up surviving, then Young had no reason to feel weird around him.

Spoiler:
              *beep*

Comment

The problem with that question is it lingers on people's personal and/or relgious beliefs so you first have to decide if you even believe on the exists in the first place.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  The problem with that question is it lingers on people's personal and/or relgious beliefs so you first have to decide if you even believe on the exists in the first place.
                  Well thats not really true, my belief is irrelevant to whether souls exist in a fictional universe. Daniel, while ascended did claim Jack had a soul so whether or not humans have souls [within Stargate] hinges on whether you find ascended Daniel to be a credible source on the issue.

It always felt to me that a sarcophogus eroded empathy and in a sense destroys the person that existed before rather than destroying a tangible "soul", I just think Daniel was using the word to embody the person he knows as Jack and that changing him into someone without empathy would destroy who he is and what he stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                    Well thats not really true, my belief is irrelevant to whether souls exist in a fictional universe. Daniel, while ascended did claim Jack had a soul so whether or not humans have souls [within Stargate] hinges on whether you find ascended Daniel to be a credible source on the issue.

It always felt to me that a sarcophogus eroded empathy and in a sense destroys the person that existed before rather than destroying a tangible "soul", I just think Daniel was using the word to embody the person he knows as Jack and that changing him into someone without empathy would destroy who he is and what he stands for.
                    Of course its relevent. You're aren't going to believe they have souls if you youself don't believe in the existence of souls
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Of course its relevent. You're aren't going to believe they have souls if you youself don't believe in the existence of souls
                      I don't believe in ascended beings either but they exist within Stargate, the question of whether souls exist in Stargate is no different - my view of reality is not relevant to the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                        I don't believe in ascended beings either but they exist within Stargate, the question of whether souls exist in Stargate is no different - my view of reality is not relevant to the question.
                        The difference being ascension is a fictional conept. The concept of a soul not so much depending on who you ask
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

The difference being ascension is a fictional conept. The concept of a soul not so much depending on who you ask
                          The concept of a soul exists in both realities but a soul is not merely a concept, people deem it to be something tangible.

Comment

Good question. I very much believe in the soul/spirit. I'll have to ponder that one for awhile. As pointed out above that was probably why Young and some of the others were so creeped out by them.(no soul)
                            ETA I believe that's the part of the Ancients that assended, their soul or spirit.

Comment

As the question, I don't think he necessarily has a soul if he survives, or that Young would cease being creeped out. It's possible that if the Caine on Destiny survives, then the real Caine is alive, but I would be convinced that they are one and the same. It's possible that Caine is still alive but back on the planet. The aliens may have made a copy of him anyway as well as the people that died and sent them to Destiny to see what the crew would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X