Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant erotavlas's Avatar

Default Why didn't Caine et al. create a better shelter?

Why did they rely solely on the shuttle itself to protect them from the harsh winter? Especially knowing they had to keep it open for ventilation no way they could keep it warm in that state.
    Plus why did they not have a fire going. There were plenty of wood they could have used for firewood and all they made are candles??
    They had many months to prepare, they could have at least insulated the shuttle a bit better.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Default Re: Why didn't Caine et al. create a better shelter?

it's not like their were left with many supplies

Chief Master Sergeant erotavlas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    it's not like their were left with many supplies
    still, we do see one of them chopping a tree down. so they had at least one axe (was it an axe?)

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    still, we do see one of them chopping a tree down. so they had at least one axe (was it an axe?)
    Looked more like a hatchet to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    maybe but we don't know how long it was from when destiny left to when edan reached it's winter season. the people may not have had a chance to really purpare.

First Lieutenant

Default How would the crew feel about the way they treated Caine's group?

Caine's group return from the Faith planet, instead of welcome, they were treated like unwanted guest.They were tested , isolated , and interviewed (or interrogated)

I know the crew was only being cautious , and Young was only trying to protect the the rest of the crew .

But the way the crews treated craine's group wasn't not the their best.
    Not wanting to touch them or look them in their eyes.

Caine's people's last chance of saying goodbye ,and die with their people , were probably ruined.

Would the crew feel guilty or ashame for their action?

The problem is that they were a bunch of eggheads stranded on a planet with no practical survival skills, very few supplies, and a fast approaching winter.

They didn't have a clue how to fix, let alone fly, the shuttle, and it broke down, forcing them to leave the door open for ventilation. I assume that if the shuttle hadn't gone kaput they'd may have made it through the winter, depending on just how long the winter is on that planet.

The location and the shuttle is what broke them. If they'd chosen a better spot, say, a region coming out of winter, they'd have had spring, summer and autumn to prepare for the coming winter.

If the shuttle hadn't broken, they'd have lasted until their food supplies gave out.

They didn't have a fire going in the shuttle because the smoke would have suffocated them. The fire would have be outside the shuttle and gathering timber is a very labour intensive process with only hand tools... moreso if you have to travel.

They only had a month or two to prepare from my guesstimate. Given the average person's survival skills (IE, Zip) the most they could ever have built in that time would have been shabby lean-to's that wouldn't keep out the cold.

And we didn't see any animal life there so I'm guessing they acquired those candles from "Human Resources" if you catch my drift.

Even if they did survive the winter, weathering the coming seasons with very little knowledge on the climate, prevailing weather conditions and indigenous flora (we never did see any fauna...) probably would have cost them more. By the time the second winter rolls around you're down to probably two or three guys who resent each other and either wind up striking out on their own (and dying) or having a massive case of cabin fever resulting in...

This

And / Or This

Even if they'd managed to build a better shelter, with their supplies and numbers, even with a healthy level of mental preparedness for long term survival, attrition would have whittled them down and killed them regardless.

In my opinion, they didn't build a better shelter out of the deluded belief that they would get through it just fine, that the aliens would provide for them, or that they could win through no matter what.

Relying on luck for your survival gets you killed in no time flat. No exceptions.

Staff Sergeant

Like Greer said, "No survival skills."

It's not easy to live off the land, especially when you start out with so little. Not to mention the whole alien planet thing.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    maybe but we don't know how long it was from when destiny left to when edan reached it's winter season. the people may not have had a chance to really purpare.
    they are all scientist, calculate the the planet's orbit in relation to the sun , and it's rate of rotation ,it would not be hard for them to have the estimate of the seasonal period calander within half hour.

But to be honest even a shuttle without power , an open door would be better than any thing they can contruct with primative material.

But why didn't they fly the shuttle next to some cave ,with the door facing the cave and built a wood shelter structure between the cave and shuttle door

Short Answer: Nobody knew how to fly the shuttle.

Check the start of the episode. The idiots need to be told how to fly the shuttle via comlink with Scott.

Default Re: How would the crew feel about the way they treated Caine's group?

I think might feel somewhat bad, but you can't really blame them for their behavior. Those people came back wrong, and it took effort to ignore the feeling that caused.

Lieutenant Colonel

im pretty sure the winter came on suddenly and caine was telling them to prepare for cold instead of making food.

Think of it this way. You treat someone with suspicion because you're certain he'll try something if you don't. The moment you turn your back, he does something suspect. Do you feel guilty about treating him with suspicion in the first place?

I reckon they'd feel bad about it at first but come to the realisation that, all said and done, what they did was justified by the fact that Caine's group came back wrong.

If anything, the crew of the Destiny will only feel bad about having been forced to witness their former friends die in front of their eyes while they couldn't do a damn thing to save them. So long as they weren't aware of what Caine's group's fate actually was there would always be that small ray of hope that they made out alright after all. This episode crushed that hope for them.

So if they do feel bad it'll be feeling bad about not cracking them in the back of their heads and dragging their sobbing faithful butts up to the ship kicking and screaming the whole way up.

Because they were idiots.

Seriously, they were idiots to even stay there in the first place. They gave up food, shelter and technology in exchange for some bull**** sentimental feeling of "building a new home" that I guarantee you went away pretty damn fast when the snowflakes started to appear.

I don't usually find myself agreeing with Young but he was 100% right in this one. The only question that remains is who was stupider, Caine for coming up with the idea, or all of the other ones for following his crazy ass down there.

I'm glad the show decided to kill the bozos off in the perfectly obvious way it did, as opposed to the way Galactica praised exactly this same kind of stupidity as some wonderful noble thing to be aspired to.

It's not as easy as you think it is to start from scratch, and if you go into it thinking it will be some kind of "eden" as opposed to a brutal tooth and nail struggle for survival you're a moron and it's virtually guaranteed your idealized stupidity will be the end of you.

Nature doesn't humor the stupid for long.

after what the destiny crew been through since faith i don't blame them one bit.

It's the writers should be blamed. They write a story like all those people has been born adult with no life experiences. At least, one or two of them should have a minimal effort to build a long lasting shelter from a tree branches.

If they all scientist, they should know how Eskimo people made an Igloo and regulate cold and hot air inside it. Probably, the writer is a kid with no life experiences...

They had no feeling because they're zombies. Young is right treated them like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor One View Post
    The location and the shuttle is what broke them. If they'd chosen a better spot, say, a region coming out of winter, they'd have had spring, summer and autumn to prepare for the coming winter.
    Since no planet we've ever seen on Stargate has an equatorial region [apart from Earth], they certainly didn't have the chance to move somewhere tropical. And we haven't seen any sandy beaches and palm trees in Stargate before, right? Mostly all Vancouver forest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor One View Post
    Short Answer: Nobody knew how to fly the shuttle.
    Check the start of the episode. The idiots need to be told how to fly the shuttle via comlink with Scott.
    Yup. Idiots.

First Lieutenant

after what the destiny crew been through since faith i don't blame them one bit.
    Nobody is blaming anybody , nobody can judge the crew of Destiny but themselves.
    My question is after the death of Caine's people, how would the crew feel about themsleve , about their self-reflection after this experience.

If Crew of Destiny is a family , if member of returning familes die , and how you treated them in the last few hour reflect on how the families see itself.
    A society 's value is measure by how a society member treat the least of the society, they use that argument for against death penality.

They had no feeling because they're zombies. Young is right treated them like he did.
    Who is the Zombies , Caine 's people or the crew .
    Because if the crew doesn't feel a thing , we see how much the Destiny families really care about each other.

This seems pretty forced to me.. These people choosed themselves to stay on the planet, so what happened to them was their own free choice. When they suddenly appeared out of thin air, everyone was right to treat them with suspicion, I wouldn't blame them for it.

Obviously, they did feel something. Most of the crew were feeling uncomfortable in their proximity, even Young said so. He said something like he wants to run away when he is near them, later it is more or less explained with their lack of souls.. So, I think blaming the crew for not welcoming a bunch of soulless zombies, who left Destiny by free choice, doesn't make them heartless or anything. After all, they are no 'family', they are a crew.. Why stretch this so much?