Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Eden???

  1. #21
    Second Lieutenant Mozzza's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by kirmit View Post
    That's what crossed my mind, surely the whole planet woudn't of been in a winter, as soon as it started getting colder they should of taken all their food and migrated.
    It depends, because seasons on Earth are mainly created by the wobble the Earth has where it tilts back and fourth. If this planet has a orbit which is following more of an oval path (ie, moving closer to the star then further away) then there wouldn't be a warmer place.

  2. #22
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Eden???

    They would have known the orbital parameters of the planet from Destiny long before they landed on it. We know Destiny can do detailed scans of planets - we've gotten things like temperature, atmospheric composition, ionization and radiation, etc. before. They could have predicted based on orbital eccentricity, axial tilt, orbital period, latitude, and topography pretty much exactly how long and harsh the winters would be where they landed.

    Whats surprising is the fact that there is seasonality on the planet at all, let alone such harsh seasonality. Since the planet is artificial, one would imagine that it would be optimized for supporting life, which means it should have zero axial tilt, yielding a stable climate year-round (as well as minimizing the effects of axial precession, which would drive climatic change like ice ages over thousands of years)

  3. #23
    Chief Master Sergeant Descended's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    They would have known the orbital parameters of the planet from Destiny long before they landed on it. We know Destiny can do detailed scans of planets - we've gotten things like temperature, atmospheric composition, ionization and radiation, etc. before. They could have predicted based on orbital eccentricity, axial tilt, orbital period, latitude, and topography pretty much exactly how long and harsh the winters would be where they landed.

    Whats surprising is the fact that there is seasonality on the planet at all, let alone such harsh seasonality. Since the planet is artificial, one would imagine that it would be optimized for supporting life, which means it should have zero axial tilt, yielding a stable climate year-round (as well as minimizing the effects of axial precession, which would drive climatic change like ice ages over thousands of years)
    Unless the aliens that built it are cold-weather creatures. Maybe their metabolism runs very hot and they have to bleed excess heat into the environment. We are acting like it should be perfect for the settlers, but the aliens made it that way for a reason. They also didn't "show up" until it got very very cold, maybe they need that temperature.

  4. #24
    Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,295

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck32 View Post
    So much for "planet eden" wouldn't you think if a planet is a paradise that it wouldn't be suseptable to freezing temperatures? and if the planet builders really were benevolent wouldn't they do something about the inclement weather or provide the people with more shelter and warmth?

    Cain and co were shortsighted, they died of naivety more than anything!
    Maybe because it wasn't 'Eden', the aliens were neither benevolent or 'god' and yeah, Caine was shortsighted and naive but it had to do with putting his trust in these supposedly godlike aliens that were going to provide for all his needs in the first place. Maybe the point is in trusting other people and in our own actions, as in - the best chance is on the ship, where you actually have a hand in your fate. We're not supposed to have an 'eden' handed to us, we're supposed to work for it, to fight and die for it. Believing in magical aliens that will grant all your wishes? That's not doing ANYTHING.



    SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

  5. #25
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Eden???

    they should've watched more bear grylls ^^

  6. #26
    Captain marty2006's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: Eden???

    Im guessing its because they were led by a mental case in Caine.

  7. #27
    Second Lieutenant Mozzza's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Since the planet is artificial, one would imagine that it would be optimized for supporting life, which means it should have zero axial tilt, yielding a stable climate year-round (as well as minimizing the effects of axial precession, which would drive climatic change like ice ages over thousands of years)
    Unless it was a first attempt, something else has interfered, it was deliberately designed that way for a reason.

  8. #28
    Server at Cafe Diem Eestlanna's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Europe, Estonia
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck32 View Post
    Eden?
    It was perfect name. Just like Adam and Eve were thrown out the Eden in bible, Caine and the others were sent away from the planet. I guess they didn't fit in.

  9. #29
    Lieutenant Colonel Ouroboros's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,846

    Default Re: Eden???

    Honestly, the fact that they named it Eden at all tells you all you need to know about the sort of thinking that went into the whole brilliant plan.

  10. #30
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck32 View Post
    So much for "planet eden" wouldn't you think if a planet is a paradise that it wouldn't be suseptable to freezing temperatures? and if the planet builders really were benevolent wouldn't they do something about the inclement weather or provide the people with more shelter and warmth?

    Cain and co were shortsighted, they died of naivety more than anything!
    Another thing thats curious about Eden is with how "intelligent" these people are supposed to be, how come they didn´t decide on a area of the planet where the winter is not that hard and not mean snow

    So no Eden didn´t fail because of Cain, they failed because the writers wanted a shuttle for Destiny and wanted to kill the characters of eden of.

  11. #31
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacdru View Post
    Another thing thats curious about Eden is with how "intelligent" these people are supposed to be, how come they didn´t decide on a area of the planet where the winter is not that hard and not mean snow
    Their location was chosen because it was near the obelisk.

  12. #32
    First Lieutenant pipi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacdru View Post
    Another thing thats curious about Eden is with how "intelligent" these people are supposed to be, how come they didn´t decide on a area of the planet where the winter is not that hard and not mean snow

    So no Eden didn´t fail because of Cain, they failed because the writers wanted a shuttle for Destiny and wanted to kill the characters of eden of.
    Different field of intelligence or expertise. One does not need a PHD to hunt or survive in the wild. Some people are just retarded in physical activites and lack survival skills.

  13. #33
    Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,295

    Default Re: Eden???

    I found it interesting that TJ takes Caine to see the garden aboard Destiny in that here was a 'garden' they had made with their own hands that was far more real than the one Caine was betting on. Eden indeed



    SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

  14. #34
    River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Eden???

    Naming a planet "Eden" is like naming a ship "Titanic" - asking for trouble. Caine is a man of faith - didn't he know that things didn't end well in Eden the first time?

    Of course, since his name is Caine and not Abel, he was fated to end up cursed, wasn't he? And to cause the deaths of his brothers.

    Nice biblical allusion, that.

  15. #35
    Captain Avenger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, Ca
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Eden???

    Things didn't end well the first time because people broke the rules. That's a little bit different than what happened here.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

  16. #36
    River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Things didn't end well the first time because people broke the rules. That's a little bit different than what happened here.
    Things didn't end well the first time because human beings don't belong in paradise - we always end up asking the wrong question ("Why can't we eat of that tree? What exactly is this "knowledge of good and evil"? Who is this snake dude anyway?) and messing things up.

    The Faith crew didn't belong on that planet, either. It wasn't made for them, and the builders sent them back where they belonged. Out of paradise, east of Eden. Works for me.

  17. #37
    First Lieutenant pipi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Naming a planet "Eden" is like naming a ship "Titanic" - asking for trouble. Caine is a man of faith - didn't he know that things didn't end well in Eden the first time?

    Of course, since his name is Caine and not Abel, he was fated to end up cursed, wasn't he? And to cause the deaths of his brothers.

    Nice biblical allusion, that.
    Not everything has to be perfect. I think it's referred to as God's Will. Not that I believe in that.

  18. #38
    Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,295

    Default Re: Eden???

    Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Naming a planet "Eden" is like naming a ship "Titanic" - asking for trouble. Caine is a man of faith - didn't he know that things didn't end well in Eden the first time?

    Of course, since his name is Caine and not Abel, he was fated to end up cursed, wasn't he? And to cause the deaths of his brothers.

    Nice biblical allusion, that.
    This
    For me, the minute that scientist's name was in the ring, it spelled trouble. The minute you throw a Caine in there, no matter the spelling, it's going to go the way of the Titanic. 'Eden' is icing on the cake



    SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

  19. #39
    Chief Master Sergeant skarwolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Eden???

    What if they were mostly Hindu's instead of Christians who chose to stay behind. Would they call it something else ? I don't know what Hindu's think "eden" is. I think its ridiculous to apply your prejudicial religious upbringing to something that is scientific. I understand people have been doing that since the medieval era but humanity for the most part hasn't evolved yet beyond the need to apply vague superstitions to explain things they don't understand. Case in point, this planet which nobody could explain.

    OMG it must be God.

    Anything you can't explain. Yep that's God.

  20. #40
    First Lieutenant pipi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Eden???

    God could be an ascended being. Who knows. People believe whatever they want and if that leads to killing themselves then that's their choice. Faith can keep people going when the facts says otherwise, so I believe that's a good attribute to have.

Similar Threads

  1. Eden (406)
    By Stargate: Horizon in forum Season Four Episodes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: March 12th, 2011, 06:50 AM
  2. "Eden" explores origins of the Draque!
    By Alex Rubit in forum Stargate: Horizon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •