A green set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A green set

I kinda feel like spamming around, but there is simply no thread where i thought it would fit in:

I've read serval times that Sanctuary has a very *green* set.. not only beause of the color, but also because it's quite environment friendly..
    Now I was curious what they do different there..
    Ok, they use less big sets and lots of green screen instead so they have less rubbish due to the non-existent old sets..
    but is there more stuff they do?

I'm really interested in film-making and this kind of stuff, so I'd be really happy about answers
    sigpic

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post
    I kinda feel like spamming around, but there is simply no thread where i thought it would fit in:

I've read serval times that Sanctuary has a very *green* set.. not only beause of the color, but also because it's quite environment friendly..
    Ok, they use less big sets and lots of green screen instead so they have less rubbish due to the non-existent old sets..

I'm really interested in film-making and this kind of stuff, so I'd be really happy about answers
    I'm not sure where you are going with this? But the reason Sanctuary is shot in large percentage against 'green screen' is so the action/actors can be placed into any environment the CGI dept. conjures up. The reason why green is used as apposed to widely used blue screen of the past, is because of the digital camera. (whose primary colors are RGB)

As long as they are not shooting a green monster, the actors or action can be separated from the green screen (which is serving as a matt) and the background can be 'painted in'. Another reason why green is, in terms of light spectrum, it is the furtherst from human skin tone, so much easier to separate.

It is widely understood that Sanctuary started as a small budget show which could not afford the expense of shooting on location and permanent sets.

I think the nature of its humble origins using the green screen to substitute for the sets and locations, is also what allowed the creators of the show to go all out in indulging in fantastic beings and environments and helped to shape the identity of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post

I remeber AT said in an interview that because they dont build many sets they dont use a lot of wood and stuff like that. I think they also do things like no plastic bottles and things like that. But mostly its the sets.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
        I remeber AT said in an interview that because they dont build many sets they dont use a lot of wood and stuff like that. I think they also do things like no plastic bottles and things like that. But mostly its the sets.
        ah, thanks! I loke the no plastic bottles idea

@Carterfan: I've read seval times that the Sanctuary set would be very environment friendly compared to other tv-shows..
        so I was / am curious what they do differently
        sigpic

Comment

when a show builds a set, well when they're done with it they have to get rid of all that styrofoam and plywood.....i saw the SGC set once, it was primarily made of styrofoam and plywood. Since Sanctuary uses so little of it, they don't have to trash as much, so less in the dumpster.

they do have 'practical' (aka real) stuff in scenes.....like in the cathedral scene in biggie's episode this year, all that was real in that was the bench and a table with a candle on it. the rest didn't exist. So no expensive location shot at a church, no hundreds of thousands of dollars spent making a church set.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X