This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Big is the Milky Way and Pegasus Galaxies

I was just wondering how big is the Milky Way Galaxy compared to Pegasus. In Space Race we see species that we have not seen before and you get at least I do that the Milky Way is one huge place even compared to other galaxies with lots of other species and civilizations than even Earth was aware of. While I seem to remember that Pegasus was a smaller dwarf galaxy in orbit around another one that is significantly smaller that the Milky Way? So I was thinking that Pegasus might have several hundred million stars whereas the Milky Way would have serveral billion. I wonder if in season nine they will explore other areas of the galaxy that have yet to be seen in Stargate. I know that the Asgard are from another galaxy but the way our galaxy is portrayed it seems small when we all know that it is larger than that. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks.

It depends on which Pegasus Dwarf it is, really. What we know is:

1.) It's a dwarf galaxy visible in the constellation Pegasus.
    2.) It's in the Local Group.

That leaves 2 possibilities.

1.) Pegasus Irregular Dwarf (UGC 12613)
    2.) Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal (KKH 99)

I think UGC 12613 is the more likely, but that's only a hunch.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

If the Milky Way were 1 meter across, how big would the rest of the universe be?

Here's the list based on 1 meter = 100,000 light years:

The Magellanic Clouds .................................. 1.6 meters
      Andromeda Galaxy........................................ 20 meters
      Virgo Cluster of galaxies............................... 615 meters
      Coma Cluster........................................... 3660 meters
      Bootes Cluster........................................ 21,100 meters
      Quasar 3C 273......................................... 20,500 meters
      Edge of Visible Universe at 15 billion light years.... 150,000 meters
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

I think it was the irregular Dwarf

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
          If the Milky Way were 1 meter across, how big would the rest of the universe be?

Here's the list based on 1 meter = 100,000 light years:

The Magellanic Clouds .................................. 1.6 meters
          Andromeda Galaxy........................................ 20 meters
          Virgo Cluster of galaxies............................... 615 meters
          Coma Cluster........................................... 3660 meters
          Bootes Cluster........................................ 21,100 meters
          Quasar 3C 273......................................... 20,500 meters
          Edge of Visible Universe at 15 billion light years.... 150,000 meters

And the source for this info is ???????????????
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
            And the source for this info is ???????????????
            some site I found on google http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1192.html
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

MW is 90,000ly and Andromeda is 140,000ly. Both numbers reg. the diameter. That's hardly 20 times more.
              Pegasus is around 2,000ly

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ocalGroup.html

Comment

140 or 200 whos right?

maybe there are different numbers depending on the device used to measure, bear in mind that these are all rough estimates.
                love Torri

Comment

I don’t know about numbers but from my understanding Pegasus is tiny compared to the MW.

I would go with Mr Nuby's numbers
                  "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by rhade
                    In Space Race we see species that we have not seen before and you get at least I do that the Milky Way is one huge place even compared to other galaxies with lots of other species and civilizations than even Earth was aware of. While I seem to remember that Pegasus was a smaller dwarf galaxy in orbit around another one that is significantly smaller that the Milky Way? So I was thinking that Pegasus might have several hundred million stars whereas the Milky Way would have serveral billion. I wonder if in season nine they will explore other areas of the galaxy that have yet to be seen in Stargate. I know that the Asgard are from another galaxy but the way our galaxy is portrayed it seems small when we all know that it is larger than that. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks.
                    Tiny is still relative, though. When you're talking about galaxies, there are millions or even billions of stars, around which any number of planets could be inhabited. Thousands of species could live on planets WITHOUT STARGATES, too that we haven't seen.

I am also reminded of SPOILERS FOR PROMETHEUS UNBOUND:
                    Spoiler:
                    Those nasty looking aliens that Vala flies the prometheus to meet, who are carrying naquada - we never saw them before, and it does make you wonder - who else is out there that wasn't descended from goa'uld human slaves??

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                      I don’t know about numbers but from my understanding Pegasus is tiny compared to the MW.

I would go with Mr Nuby's numbers
                      mr nuby it is then
                      love Torri

Comment

Other sites that back up aAnubiSs' post.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/galaxies.htm

http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_of_galaxies.html

PS
                        Seds.org was a good site for the messiar catalog but every time I try to get to the site a spam page comes up.
                        Check your facts.
                        http://www.fact-index.com

Comment

ok
                          love Torri

Comment

Working...
                          X