Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What is the best/most powerfull Ship Class in the Stargate?

I wouldn't put a ZPM powered Aurora very high up really. It's main weapon is drones which don't seem to get boosted by ZPM's much if at all. The ones atlantis fired certainly didn't make much of an impression on the superhive.

The ZPM would probably just boost their shields massively, but against an enemy with defenses that can resist drones, like a superhive, Replicator ship, or possibly Ori or Asgard ship it would more just prolong the inevitable.

I seem to remember there being some episode that showed the Daedalus' Asgard shields deflecting a drone at some point to or am I just thinking of the Arcturus weapon.

Lieutenant Colonel Rise Of The Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I wouldn't put a ZPM powered Aurora very high up really. It's main weapon is drones which don't seem to get boosted by ZPM's much if at all. The ones atlantis fired certainly didn't make much of an impression on the superhive.
    I knew you wouldn't.
    Those drones fired by Atlantis were fired in pretty small quantities though, nothing close to Orion's level of firepower was hitting that ship, plus there's the unknown of whether Ancient ones have energy weapons capable of being boosted to some significant degree by the ZPM.
    I suppose we haven't seen one in action, but since Auroras haven't been found in the Milky Way they were likely built in PG, I think they were likely more recent technology, than the stuff in Atlantis, so at least shrunk down versions with similar if not better capabilties when powered properly.
    The ZPM would probably just boost their shields massively, but against an enemy with defenses that can resist drones, like a superhive, Replicator ship, or possibly Ori or Asgard ship it would more just prolong the inevitable.
    I think an Aurora would get more of a boost than a 304 can because it's built by the race that invented the ZPM.
    Not sure I'd put the Aurora as low down the chain as Replicator ships or anything else and I did say I thought it would be close.
    I seem to remember there being some episode that showed the Daedalus' Asgard shields deflecting a drone at some point to or am I just thinking of the Arcturus weapon.
    I think that was the Arcturus powered weapon.
    Any other drones shown to hit a 304 were from the Asuran's tech, which I think should be taken as completely separate from Ancient stuff until some episode states otherwise.
    The inneffectiveness of the Asuran versions compared to the Ancient ones hitting similar targets like Hives and doing very little, when the Ancient ones have been shown to do more is proof the Asuran's tech wasn't as good.

Since 3 Ancient ZPMs weren't used to power Atlantis against the Super Hive, it's hard to say what's better with regards to Ancient or Asuran ZPMs.
    A fully functioning, fully powered brand new warship should by rights perform better than a city built millions of years before it.

Second Lieutenant

First off. I agree that the amount of ZPMs powering the hive ship is unknown. It is at least one, but coming from Tod and the circumstances used as evidence to claim their was only one is arguable when you take the source and the fact that "piece of technology" can mean more than one of the same thing if you think about it.

As a complete complete vessel and not dealing with a particular piece of technology on the vessel I would say the list looks like the following:

City-Ship(100%)
    Super Hive
    Atlantis(Severly understocked and powered )
    Any Ship With plasma beam weapons and a head start in shooting -_-
    Aurora Class(Lantean latest model at 100%)
    Ori Mothership
    Aurora Class(Asuran at 100%)
    F-304(ZPM Powered with Final Asgard upgrades no PBW)
    O'Neill Class(No PBW)
    Beliskner Class
    F-304(Final Asgard upgrades and no PBW )
    Hive Ship
    F-303(Asgard upgraded)
    Traveller Ship
    Ha'tak
    F-303(initial)

Destiny and Seed ships at 100% are in the running somewhere but I dont have enough evidence to really say where. I would assume they are probably somewhere in the general area of a Ha'tak. Given the supposed power reserves of a seed ship though(Greater than a ZPM or ZPMs possibly), if you put weapons on it that can tap that energy it would be pretty powerful(Even more so than Destiny for some unknown plot reasoning).

Had the Lanteans kept on progressing technologically I would say even a superhive or Ori Mothership would be far behind anything Lantean given that their 10,000 year old ships are even still in the running in the present.

I think the list is decent but I am definitely open to valid evidence to move the placement of some ships on the list, especially lower list ships.
    Knowledge is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth.

Lieutenant Colonel

The apolla shields deflected a huge number of drones when rescuing McKay. The apolla and dedy repelled many drones when the fleet attacked the replicator world.

Lieutenant Colonel

City ship (100%) with Uber Beam or ancient satellite beams (absolutely ridiculous there weren't 40 of these considering the low power requirements)
    Super Hive
    City-Ship(100%)
    Oniell with uber beams
    ZPM 304 with uber beams or underpowered atlantis
    Ori Mothership
    Aurora with zpm
    Oneill
    Any Ship With plasma beam weapons and a head start in shooting -_-
    Aurora Class(Lantean latest model at 100%)
    Aurora Class(Asuran at 100%)
    Hive
    Beliskner Class
    Hatak
    Traveller
    F-303(Asgard upgraded)

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    The apolla shields deflected a huge number of drones when rescuing McKay. The apolla and dedy repelled many drones when the fleet attacked the replicator world.
    So then that would mean that the Asgard designed shields on a 304 can defeat drone shield busting technology, which would then seem to mean that an O'neill class's shields would likewise defend against it.

If that is the case then it seems like an Asgard battleship like an O'niell might even pose a significant threat to a city ship like Atlantis all by itself. Drones seem to rely on bypassing defenses not blasting them down with raw power, so if they can't bypass the O'niell's shields a cityship/aurora could be in a lot of trouble.

They'd have to wear down the Asgard shields with just the explosive part of the drone while the Asgard would be shooting back at them with the most advanced energy weapons of any of the species seen so far, aside from maybe the Ori.

The cityship would probably survive, because its shields are so over the top that it takes an entire Wraith fleet the better part of a week to wear through them normally, but the Aurora is probably screwed.

Lieutenant Colonel

So then that would mean that the Asgard designed shields on a 304 can defeat drone shield busting technology, which would then seem to mean that an O'neill class's shields would likewise defend against it.

If that is the case then it seems like an Asgard battleship like an O'niell might even pose a significant threat to a city ship like Atlantis all by itself. Drones seem to rely on bypassing defenses not blasting them down with raw power, so if they can't bypass the O'niell's shields a cityship/aurora could be in a lot of trouble.

They'd have to wear down the Asgard shields with just the explosive part of the drone while the Asgard would be shooting back at them with the most advanced energy weapons of any of the species seen so far, aside from maybe the Ori.

The cityship would probably survive, because its shields are so over the top that it takes an entire Wraith fleet the better part of a week to wear through them normally, but the Aurora is probably screwed.
    An Oneill with Uberbeams maybe. I doubt it could stand up to the superweapon but Atlantis drone onslaught is not so bad as long as it could bring those shields down in 20 minutes or so. I doubt that Thor would sit idly by and wait for those glowing orange snails to impact on his shields though. He would probably play dirty and trap them in a super slow time bubble and just wail on them (or simply make the sun go supernova - I have a sneaking suspicion a highly motivated Thor is capable of just about anything. The problem would be the same problem that the mini-me Oneill had with the toilet lids (can't bring down shields). I'm still not so sure the Oneill wasn't gathering intel on the Ori Vessels once it realized it couldn't defeat any of them. I agree that even a zpm Aurora would be in a lot of trouble against a non-uber beam Oneill.

ZMP powered Hive is obviously superior to everythink by far

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Vancho View Post
    ZMP powered Hive is obviously superior to everythink by far
    Just bad writing. The satelite weapon exceeds a toilet lid main beam and can be charged with a mkI reactor (maybe 2 MWe). Given the size of atlantis, at least 40 of these beams could have been blended into the archetecture of the city and could continuously fire without challenging a zpm. A superhive could not stand up to multiple satelite beams and the great golden snails of death.

Just bad writing. The satelite weapon exceeds a toilet lid main beam and can be charged with a mkI reactor (maybe 2 MWe). Given the size of atlantis, at least 40 of these beams could have been blended into the archetecture of the city and could continuously fire without challenging a zpm. A superhive could not stand up to multiple satelite beams and the great golden snails of death.
    i thought of that but the ancient satellite ray weapon didn't have any shields which suggest it can't be fired through shields
    it might explain why the ancients didn't install such ray weapons on atlantis in first place

Lieutenant Colonel

you aren't imagining, it was Apollo and the drones were bouncing off like rubber balls.

Lieutenant Colonel

i thought of that but the ancient satellite ray weapon didn't have any shields which suggest it can't be fired through shields
    it might explain why the ancients didn't install such ray weapons on atlantis in first place
    more likely bad writing

even if the satellite main beams were the most powerful thing in the universe it would not last long with out shields. so this means it must have. we just did not have the power to power them. plus even if we did have the power they could have been broke.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by mickhhh View Post
    even if the satellite main beams were the most powerful thing in the universe it would not last long with out shields. so this means it must have. we just did not have the power to power them. plus even if we did have the power they could have been broke.
    The shields would only need to last for a minute with a dozen of those satelite beams in operation. The first beam salvos soften them up for the golden snails of deaths to finish up. A dozen of the satelite beams concentrating their firepower could punch a hole in the moon.

The satellite beams are next to completely useless against fighters and misc small ships though, which is probably how the Wraith took them out.

They're still a visual range weapon to, even if they seem to have longer range than most others.

An enemy could simply Kamikaze each platform with a cheap fighter on auto pilot, something which the Wraith were no doubt all to willing to do, likely even minus the auto pilot part. Guided missiles would be better or course but the extreme vulnerability of those platforms to even normal dart attacks, not even high velocity Kamikaze runs, probably explains why they didn't do so hot.

With no apparent shields or point defense they'd be left trying to bullseye fighters one at a time with that giant cannon.

The whole idea of them is probably one of the dumbest things you could sink resources into vs a fighter heavy enemy like the Wraith, but this is the ancients we're talking about here.

The satellite beams are next to completely useless against fighters and misc small ships though, which is probably how the Wraith took them out.

They're still a visual range weapon to, even if they seem to have longer range than most others.

An enemy could simply Kamikaze each platform with a cheap fighter on auto pilot, something which the Wraith were no doubt all to willing to do, likely even minus the auto pilot part. Guided missiles would be better or course but the extreme vulnerability of those platforms to even normal dart attacks, not even high velocity Kamikaze runs, probably explains why they didn't do so hot.

With no apparent shields or point defense they'd be left trying to bullseye fighters one at a time with that giant cannon.

The whole idea of them is probably one of the dumbest things you could sink resources into vs a fighter heavy enemy like the Wraith, but this is the ancients we're talking about here.
    Well, all that was active in the station was life support and the main weapon, powered by a Mk I/II Naq. Gen. We don't know what it would be like if it was fully operational (which it was not), and fully equipped. The Wraith could have simply overwhelmed any sort of shielding the Ancients applied.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Lieutenant Colonel

The thing may be able to disperse the beam to a 120 cone for all we know.

The shields would only need to last for a minute with a dozen of those satelite beams in operation. The first beam salvos soften them up for the golden snails of deaths to finish up. A dozen of the satelite beams concentrating their firepower could punch a hole in the moon.
    You miss the point, we dont know how those satellites work and as far we can suggest there have to be a choice ether shields or ray weapons coz those satellite ray weapons cant be used from inside with shields up

Lieutenant Colonel

You miss the point, we dont know how those satellites work and as far we can suggest there have to be a choice ether shields or ray weapons coz those satellite ray weapons cant be used from inside with shields up
    Shields allow outgoing beams or what would be the point? It is ludicrus to think the ancients didn't have something as simple as a tollen ion cannon, satelite beam or other low tech (for them) weapon since they basically had the equivelant of the Texas electrical grid at their disposal.

i refuse to believe they would not have had shields when fully operational. we no the ancients could win every defensive battle so that must mean they had shields. must likely only got damaged when the ancients pulled out (thats why the wraith did not feel the need to destroy them). you would have thought the ancients would have put them on self destruct though