Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, how about you stop insinuating that our opinions are somehow below yours just because ours are different?

I hate, HATE it when people do that (which explains my childish, pissy attitude right now; sorry about that...but I can't stop it! Ahhhhhh). No, we're not wearing fan goggles, just as much as you're not wearing hater goggles. I'm not going to go there, so I suggest you don't either.

Here's the point. I considered those arcs in SGA too, and I think they're pretty solid, for the most part. I would very much consider putting them in my "list of consequences" that I did for SGU. But do you know what the difference is?

SGU has shown only 28 episodes, while SGA has 100 in its catalog. Your list includes arcs that stall for seasons at a time while everything in between are basically reset at the end of every episode, while SGU has managed to develop multple arcs that are touched on all the time. That's the difference.

Note that I'm not saying every SGU arc has been developed this way; there are many large arcs that are indeed developed like old school Stargate arcs - a bit every once in a while. However, there are far more smaller arcs that are continuously developed.

EDIT: Heh. Looks like we're both posting too fast. I made this before seeing any of your posts past the the first one on this page.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      I know, how about you stop insinuating that our opinions are somehow below yours just because ours are different?

I hate, HATE it when people do that (which explains my childish, pissy attitude right now; sorry about that...but I can't stop it! Ahhhhhh). No, we're not wearing fan goggles, just as much as you're not wearing hater goggles. I'm not going to go there, so I suggest you don't either.

Here's the point. I considered those arcs in SGA too, and I think they're pretty solid, for the most part. I would very much consider putting them in my "list of consequences" that I did for SGU. But do you know what the difference is?

SGU has shown only 28 episodes, while SGA has 100 in its catalog. Your list includes arcs that stall for seasons at a time while everything in between are basically reset at the end of every episode, while SGU has managed to develop multple arcs that are touched on all the time. That's the difference.

Note that I'm not saying every SGU arc has been developed this way; there are many large arcs that are indeed developed like old school Stargate arcs - a bit every once in a while. However, there are far more smaller arcs that are continuously developed.

EDIT: Heh. Looks like we're both posting too fast. I made this before seeing any of your posts past the the first one on this page.
      hahaha, yep, we are both jumping the gun so to speak.

As to the rest mate, here's the thing (for me) episodic style shows never really have to go back and show the "arcs", but the best ones (no, I'm not talking SGA) do. Serialised shows however do "push my buttons" a bit more because of thier nature. If you drop arcs (or even just move them to the background) You run the very real risk of people "forgetting them" because the timelines just don't seem to gel. (incidently, this is why I save roughly 3-5 eps of SGU on my DVR so I can see the continuity better).
      I guess it's just like I said in other posts on this forum, SGU asks more from me as a viewer, and I ask for just as much in return.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I guess I don't understand what you guys mean when you say that a show has to be remain true to itself.

This is a television series. It is supposed to be entertaining. If you are entertained, then I guess the show was a success, at least to you. But the show needs to have enough viewers in order to continue on. If ratings drop to the point where it is not profitable to continue with the series, then it will not be renewed. So either the series has to change in order to be entertaining to more viewers, or it will fall by the wayside.

Personally, I would like to see some changes made in series so that it gets renewed. There is definitely potential there for a wonderful series, but it seems to be bogged down and is going nowhere fast. I think they need to get a new storyline and change their direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
          I guess I don't understand what you guys mean when you say that a show has to be remain true to itself.
          I guess people are referring to "artistic integrity" and to some extent I agree with them. TPTB had an idea for a series and ran with it. Will it work or not? Well, thats debatable.

Originally posted by Grumpy
          This is a television series. It is supposed to be entertaining. If you are entertained, then I guess the show was a success, at least to you. But the show needs to have enough viewers in order to continue on. If ratings drop to the point where it is not profitable to continue with the series, then it will not be renewed. So either the series has to change in order to be entertaining to more viewers, or it will fall by the wayside.

Personally, I would like to see some changes made in series so that it gets renewed. There is definitely potential there for a wonderful series, but it seems to be bogged down and is going nowhere fast. I think they need to get a new storyline and change their direction.
          No arguments here
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            hahaha, yep, we are both jumping the gun so to speak.

As to the rest mate, here's the thing (for me) episodic style shows never really have to go back and show the "arcs", but the best ones (no, I'm not talking SGA) do. Serialised shows however do "push my buttons" a bit more because of thier nature. If you drop arcs (or even just move them to the background) You run the very real risk of people "forgetting them" because the timelines just don't seem to gel. (incidently, this is why I save roughly 3-5 eps of SGU on my DVR so I can see the continuity better).
            I guess it's just like I said in other posts on this forum, SGU asks more from me as a viewer, and I ask for just as much in return.
            Ah, I understand now.

I hold SG1/SGA/SGU on equal footing so it makes sense that I see SGU as better than you see it, as you expect more out of it than you expected from SG1/SGA in terms of continuity and consequences and all that good stuff.

That's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Jackson View Post
              I disagree. I think the "game changer" was planned by the writers all along, and the improvement in drama and character development (it hasn't been scrubbed for more action, just improved, as well as making the plot more action-driven) is just the writers getting better at writing. If SGU had been a complete success, sure, maybe we'd see more stone episodes, but I think this is more or less what they were planning the whole time. SGU = gradual build-up.
              Absolutely. Season two was in the process of being written and filmed while the second half of season one was airing. Don't see why people have a hard time comprehending that. And frankly most of the criticism of SGU was so inane IMO it would be a far worse show if TPTB listened to much of it. SGU's storylines seem so organic that I can't imagine TPTB moved too far off their path. If season two is better its mostly because the writers have a better handle of their characters and storylines and the actors are more comfortable in their roles. This happens all the time in sci fi TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post

If the show isn't renevewed I will be very disappointed but it isn't the end of the world. I'd rather have the show cancelled then for its storytelling to be altered to the point I no longer recognize the show. I do not want a clone of SG1 and SGA. I want SGU to remain SGU. I'm pretty entertained by it and if others aren't, well, thems the breaks. Point is if SGU goes down then it should go down on its own terms rather than trying to appease countless folks who obviously want the show to be something else.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Ah, I understand now.

I hold SG1/SGA/SGU on equal footing so it makes sense that I see SGU as better than you see it, as you expect more out of it than you expected from SG1/SGA in terms of continuity and consequences and all that good stuff.

That's fair.
                  You got it mate!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to equate watching SGU to reading books...Don't get me wrong, I like the show. I have full respect for the actors, and their brilliant performances in a mounting drama. However, in my opinion, the writers seem like they're trying to hard to weave these "complex" relationships together. I simply don't want them to lose touch of the show's roots. I'l put it this way; the characters are in the middle of the universe! If the writers can't be a little more original, I fear the worst.

Ok, so we've had a slow buildup. Now let's start to use that foundation before it's too late. Personally, I'm getting tired of the dragon ball z-type filler. It's time to take take the story somewhere. There's unlimited possibilities: destroy destiny...or not lol...introduce a new race, maybe 10...how about we find Captain Picard from Star Trek TNG on a planet populated by hippos. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The fact of the matter is that the audience is simply not getting engaged.

I'm hoping by next week's episode (mid-season finale) we'll see some progress. (Although all of season 2 is in post-production) A better bet would be for season 3, if it is earned.

Comment

Originally posted by randall View Post
                      I'm starting to equate watching SGU to reading books...Don't get me wrong, I like the show. I have full respect for the actors, and their brilliant performances in a mounting drama. However, in my opinion, the writers seem like they're trying to hard to weave these "complex" relationships together. I simply don't want them to lose touch of the show's roots. I'l put it this way; the characters are in the middle of the universe! If the writers can't be a little more original, I fear the worst.

Ok, so we've had a slow buildup. Now let's start to use that foundation before it's too late. Personally, I'm getting tired of the dragon ball z-type filler. It's time to take take the story somewhere. There's unlimited possibilities: destroy destiny...or not lol...introduce a new race, maybe 10...how about we find Captain Picard from Star Trek TNG on a planet populated by hippos. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The fact of the matter is that the audience is simply not getting engaged.

I'm hoping by next week's episode (mid-season finale) we'll see some progress. (Although all of season 2 is in post-production) A better bet would be for season 3, if it is earned.
                      DBZ Filler LMAO!!
                      But Chloe is yet to achieve 10th level of Super Saiyan powers when she can finally defeat the evil Blue Frieza monsters!!
                      (ok that was slightly disturbing even to myself)
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X