This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason these things need change and why I don't like SGU

Everyone has an opinion around here. But People bashing this show. I'm not saying it's the best show on television it's not. It has flaws like every piece of art. Since the caveman painted on a cave wall.

People didn't see the first time, you said "I don't like it, too slow, too boring, too dark, the characters just aren't likable." The season is over, It's filmed it's in the can. Done.

Nothing you say, no matter how hard you bash, will not change it, it simply can not be changed.

If this season is the last one. At least it stayed true to itself and went out on it's accord with it's merit.

I wasn't always the biggest fan of the show. But I can respect the story they are telling and the people who enjoy it.

This is not directed at everyone who dislikes SGU, nor is it an attempt to silence people's opinions.
    Last edited by actuallyliam; 19 November 2010, 05:25 AM.

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
    But I can respect the story they are telling and the people who enjoy it.
    Why thank you.

Thread title confused me, I thought this was another hate thread, but... it's not, is it?
    sigpic

Comment

I see several differences from season 1 to season 2 and I believe those changes are the result of criticism, I also think if there was more criticism there would have been even more changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
        I see several differences from season 1 to season 2 and I believe those changes are the result of criticism, I also think if there was more criticism there would have been even more changes.
        I disagree. I think the "game changer" was planned by the writers all along, and the improvement in drama and character development (it hasn't been scrubbed for more action, just improved, as well as making the plot more action-driven) is just the writers getting better at writing. If SGU had been a complete success, sure, maybe we'd see more stone episodes, but I think this is more or less what they were planning the whole time. SGU = gradual build-up.

Comment

I agree with both Sami and Adrian on this one. I mean, season one was mostly finished up before airing, and many thought the back half to be better than the first - a result of the writers gradually changing things or anticipating fan complaints or just building up the characters best they could and letting them loose on the higher staked games. With season two, I can't really tell what's gradual change and what's addressing fan complaint. I feel like maybe some of the bigger dramatic moments, the ones people call "game-changers" are probably gradual, but cutting back on the montages and not using the stones as much may be addressing complaint... I can't tell.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I think there's been some changes due to very wide-spread criticisms that were coupled with what they thought didn't work, while they ignored some of the more "specialized" criticisms that were confined to just the core fanbase and/or those that were in fundamental conflict with their vision, whatever those may be.

Comment

The whole Chloe changing I think is a direct result of fans complaining that Chloe was useless. I also think episodes being more focused on plot and/or action is due to complaints that the show was focusing way too much on the characters. Stones, montages, arguments and bickering have all been dramatically reduced - all common complaints about the show.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              I think there's been some changes due to very wide-spread criticisms that were coupled with what they thought didn't work, while they ignored some of the more "specialized" criticisms that were confined to just the core fanbase and/or those that were in fundamental conflict with their vision, whatever those may be.
              Yeah, I think they changed pretty much everything they could without compromising the style of the show - they gave the fandom (or at least a significent part of it) some victories for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                It's not the criticism which created the changes it's the ratings. The criticism just shows that there's interest for Stargate but just not that stargate. The critiscism just say why some people don't like the new Stargate show. It's the same with Caprica, it was rejected by Syfy viewers and BSG fans but now the sci-fi execs have announced a new BSG spin off making a point noting it will have more adventure. Because they know people didn't like the lack of it in Caprica. I hope the same thing for the Stargate franchise. The original poster is clearly wrong, constructive criticism does have an impact. BSG Caprica and Blood and Chrome are an example.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

there was definetly things i didn't like in season 1, like the slow pace of the story and the scenes with the stones. season 2 has been much better, though there are things that still need work. one thing that has got much better is the characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    It's not the criticism which created the changes it's the ratings. The criticism just shows that there's interest for Stargate but just not that stargate. The critiscism just say why some people don't like the new Stargate show.
                    Its both. Would they have listened to criticism if the show was pulling 20 million viewers? of course not, but seeing the ratings going down I'm sure gave them incentive to pay attention to what people did and didn't like about the show.

Comment

The whole Chloe changing I think is a direct result of fans complaining that Chloe was useless.
                      That's another odd one - I thought the seeds for that were sown in Lost when she read the downed alien ship language, and I also doubt they would've just kept her character completely the same as she was in the start of the season one through to the start of season two... Probably why they had her kidnapped by aliens in the first place - to give her some meat for a bit. Could be another gradual change, could be a complaint addressing thingie.
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                        That's another odd one - I thought the seeds for that were sown in Lost when she read the downed alien ship language, and I also doubt they would've just kept her character completely the same as she was in the start of the season one through to the start of season two... Probably why they had her kidnapped by aliens in the first place - to give her some meat for a bit. Could be another gradual change, could be a complaint addressing thingie.
                        I suppose its possible but I always assumed it was just Chloe gaining knowledge from the neural link with the blues in the same way Rush did, like him knowing the layout of the ship and being able to fly one of the pods. Without the fan criticism I think Chloe's capitivity would have had the same result as Rushs' - a few bits and pieces of information but nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                          I suppose its possible but I always assumed it was just Chloe gaining knowledge from the neural link with the blues in the same way Rush did, like him knowing the layout of the ship and being able to fly one of the pods. Without the fan criticism I think Chloe's capitivity would have had the same result as Rush's - a few bits and pieces of information but nothing more.
                          Point.

Comment

I think the Chloe changing thing was always a plan regardless of fan's criticism because of the Lost example Matt mentioned. Lost was written before Air premiered.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

The problem with alot of those opinions is that they were formed as soon as people heard the show would be different to previous installments of the franchise, and then wouldn't give the show a fair chance, if SGU had been totally unrelated to Stargate and was just a sci-fi show, then I absolutely assure you those very same people would that are here saying its awful would be the ones fighing for more seasons.

SGU has 2 things holding it back, first it comes from a long time established franchise, which is just going to put off some people because they might think that they'd need to be fans to appreciate it and second hardcore fans who aren't willing to accept that SG1 and SGA just weren't cutting it anymore and something needed to be done.
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                              X