Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eli & Young

Default Eli & Young

I thought David Blue pulled an excellent 'Rush' out of the bag in his portrayal in the bridge scene where he has a go at Volker for fiddling with the navigation and then keeps it up in his interaction with Young. Eli modelling himself on Rush as a role model / father figure?

Also Young's line to Eli about not being the only person on the ship to loose someone and how killing someone in cold blood changes you as a person was a lovely little nuance with regards to Rush after he's popped one into Simeon's noggin.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Default Re: Eli & Young

I doubt very much that Eli is modeling himself after Rush or that he sees Rush as a role model/father figure. Far from it. He might admire the man's knowledge and such, but given that Rush pretty much kidnapped Eli to bring him to Icarus and is then the reason for him being stranded with the rest, I seriously don't think there's any role model/father figure there.

As to his behavior, it can just be blamed on the situation, stress, and his grief over losing Ginn. Most anybody would get terribly cranky and start snapping at people the way he did. His attitude doesn't have to mimic anybody. I would have been more surprised had he not started snapping at people. Besides, there are plenty more "role model" types on Destiny that he could be taking cues from: Young, Wray, James, and a whole raft of others that are stranded on Destiny; he's seen a lot of tempers flaring in the year or so he's been on Destiny.

yes but it's interesting that it shows Rush isn't just the only one and that these are just people too

I really like the way Eli was portrayed in this episode. For someone so young and inexperienced , I think he has managed to act quite responsibly in whatever situation he has been put in. finally he finds someone to share things with, and she is ripped from his life by this maniac. Losing it would be the normal thing, but he didn't hide in a corner and snivel, he got angry, frustrated, and yet managed to bring it under control and use it usefully. give the guy credit. He's been awesome, and I think one of the most adaptable people on Destiny.
    He may respect Rush's skills but certainly not want to mirror his personality.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

And Eli does not trust anyway. Remember, he did bring up the reason to not trust Rush in the first place. "Just sayin."

I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C

Eli needed to hear it, though. Eli wouldn't have been able to help, and at best would have gotten killed. Young had to make him see that his efforts were better spent buying time for the people trying to catch Simeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Chevron View Post
    I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C
    When Eli asked for the gun I believed he was asking it to kill himself.

First Lieutenant

Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.
    Last edited by Blackhole; November 17th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.

Find your Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora24 View Post
    If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.
    And yet it worked out just fine for Rush.

Doci of the BAG

Quote Originally Posted by GateroomGuard View Post
    And yet it worked out just fine for Rush.
    Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?

Doci of the BAG

Quote Originally Posted by GateroomGuard View Post
    And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?
    That depends. Rush dogged him from the beginning. He's never met Eli, far as we know, and might have just shot him on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhole View Post
    Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.
    ^this

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.

If anyone, Eli should be using Scott as a role model. He's probably the most down to Earth and well-liked guy on the ship; someone who Eli would probably want to be.

I don't think Scott works as a role model for Eli. They're different people, no matter how you go about it.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NormaN View Post
    that crossed my mind too. he was overwhelmed with emotion and didn't know how to deal with it. he's never really lost anyone in his life (expect his father'

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
    I thought David Blue pulled an excellent 'Rush' out of the bag in his portrayal in the bridge scene where he has a go at Volker for fiddling with the navigation and then keeps it up in his interaction with Young. Eli modelling himself on Rush as a role model / father figure?

Also Young's line to Eli about not being the only person on the ship to loose someone and how killing someone in cold blood changes you as a person was a lovely little nuance with regards to Rush after he's popped one into Simeon's noggin.
    Being he just got news his (most likely) first ever girlfriend is dead, i can easily understand him being snappy as heck...

I don't agree. BUT if it was, then young was again right to not give it up.

And rush is a machalevian conniving son of a &@@(h.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    ^this

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.
    Of Course. Giving Eli a gun would have been the stupidest thing Young could have done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast