Eli & Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eli & Young

I thought David Blue pulled an excellent 'Rush' out of the bag in his portrayal in the bridge scene where he has a go at Volker for fiddling with the navigation and then keeps it up in his interaction with Young. Eli modelling himself on Rush as a role model / father figure?

Also Young's line to Eli about not being the only person on the ship to loose someone and how killing someone in cold blood changes you as a person was a lovely little nuance with regards to Rush after he's popped one into Simeon's noggin.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

I doubt very much that Eli is modeling himself after Rush or that he sees Rush as a role model/father figure. Far from it. He might admire the man's knowledge and such, but given that Rush pretty much kidnapped Eli to bring him to Icarus and is then the reason for him being stranded with the rest, I seriously don't think there's any role model/father figure there.

As to his behavior, it can just be blamed on the situation, stress, and his grief over losing Ginn. Most anybody would get terribly cranky and start snapping at people the way he did. His attitude doesn't have to mimic anybody. I would have been more surprised had he not started snapping at people. Besides, there are plenty more "role model" types on Destiny that he could be taking cues from: Young, Wray, James, and a whole raft of others that are stranded on Destiny; he's seen a lot of tempers flaring in the year or so he's been on Destiny.

Comment

yes but it's interesting that it shows Rush isn't just the only one and that these are just people too

Comment

I really like the way Eli was portrayed in this episode. For someone so young and inexperienced , I think he has managed to act quite responsibly in whatever situation he has been put in. finally he finds someone to share things with, and she is ripped from his life by this maniac. Losing it would be the normal thing, but he didn't hide in a corner and snivel, he got angry, frustrated, and yet managed to bring it under control and use it usefully. give the guy credit. He's been awesome, and I think one of the most adaptable people on Destiny.
        He may respect Rush's skills but certainly not want to mirror his personality.
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

And Eli does not trust anyway. Remember, he did bring up the reason to not trust Rush in the first place. "Just sayin."

Comment

I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C

Comment

Eli needed to hear it, though. Eli wouldn't have been able to help, and at best would have gotten killed. Young had to make him see that his efforts were better spent buying time for the people trying to catch Simeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                I still think Young should have given Eli a gun and let him help, he maybe a young guy whose experience in those circumstances was peripheral at best, but it would have allowed him to vent some of what he was feeling, now he has to bottle it up somewhat and that can be dangerous as he doesnt have an outlet now, i see an Eli depression on the cards soon (calling it here!)

Also, Young telling him to sit the hell back down and carry on working isnt gonna help Eli's confidence levels which i think have just taken a slight turn for the worse.

N.C
                When Eli asked for the gun I believed he was asking it to kill himself.
                sigpic

Comment

Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.
                  Last edited by Blackhole; 17 November 2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.
                    sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
                      If Young had given Eli a gun, Eli most likely would have been killed on the planet. He has no combat experience, and trained military personnel were having trouble capturing Simeon. Young made the right call keeping Eli on the ship, and keeping him working on the bridge so that his mind could be focused on something besides losing Ginn.
                      And yet it worked out just fine for Rush.
                      sigpic
                      Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                        And yet it worked out just fine for Rush.
                        Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                          Only because Simeon decided to spare him the first time.
                          And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?
                          sigpic
                          Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                            And he wouldn't give the same courtesy to Eli?
                            That depends. Rush dogged him from the beginning. He's never met Eli, far as we know, and might have just shot him on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                              Young's handled Eli exactly as a good commander should. Since his talk with Scott his command presence and style has never been better.
                              ^this

i think that though eli deserved his revenge, he would have probably been killed on that planet, since he has no military background. his energy was better spend on the bridge helping the people catch the guy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X