Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Math Chick

Default Math Chick

Anyone else enjoying what is going on with Chloe? Personally, I wouldn't mind if she became the ship's pilot/navigator. I lol'd at her little Data moment on the bridge

Default Re: Math Chick

Finally she's a bit useful
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

I would love it if it weren't completely fake. I would rather her have been an Eli by herself, and not with alien help And, her little Data moment on the bridge was more frightening than funny! We like what she did, but the source of the information can be none other than from the evil blue guys. Maybe they aren't still controlling her, and she just got their information and ski-dattled, but it is still frightening. Well,... and exciting, because I'm definitely fine with seeing more of them.
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

The bridge scene seemed kind of weird to me, they sit her down in front of a control panel and when she starts pushing buttons they rush to stop her...why is she even there in the first place if thats their attitude.

I think it was the look on her face, she wasn't in control the way she said she was.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Girlbot View Post
    Finally she's a bit useful
    They heard the fanbase whine, and they gave her something to do (that isn't Scott).

Can't say that I'm a fan of aliens reprogramming her, but she gets as much screentime as Volker, Park and Brody, so she may as well join them in the squint squad.

Quote Originally Posted by sblade View Post
    Anyone else enjoying what is going on with Chloe? Personally, I wouldn't mind if she became the ship's pilot/navigator. I lol'd at her little Data moment on the bridge
    I am. It is an interesting storyline, and I wonder what will happen to Chloe. At the moment, she seems to have more understanding (although more in a subconcious way) of Destiny's systems / programming than Rush or Eli. After all, she was able to plot a new course, something Rush has been unable to do despite having much more time.

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Ginn was math girl. Chole is mrs smurf

Actually the Chloe alien arc is getting a little drawn out. I would like something to finally happen
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Actually the Chloe alien arc is getting a little drawn out. I would like something to finally happen
    Is there any plots in SGU which are not heavily drawn out. TJ baby plot, Telford on the gate seeder ship, Chloe's transformation, Destiny's AI/sentience, Franklin avatar like behavior, the new "game changing" mission (which was only paid lip service in this episode), the LA integration into the Destiny ship, etc etc.

As I said in the other thread, it would be a bit better if the blue aliens were a ever present threat and concern like the Wraith or Goauld. So her transformation arc could be interlinked with the overarching arc and the blue aliens enemy treats. But as I said, I make myself believe that it is and we don't know where the writers are going with this.

Yes, as everything on that show, better and faster pacing would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Zelix View Post
    Is there any plots in SGU which are not heavily drawn out. TJ baby plot, Telford on the gate seeder ship, Chloe's transformation, Destiny's AI/sentience, Franklin avatar like behavior, the new "game changing" mission (which was only paid lip service in this episode), the LA integration into the Destiny ship, etc etc.

As I said in the other thread, it would be a bit better if the blue aliens were a ever present threat and concern like the Wraith or Goauld. So her transformation arc could be interlinked with the overarching arc and the blue aliens enemy treats. But as I said, I make myself believe that it is and we don't know where the writers are going with this.

Yes, as everything on that show, better and faster pacing would be better.
    Yes. Its one thing to have new developments in an arc. Its another just to continue with same problem with no new development of Chloe changing into something
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Honestly, I'm a bit conflicted. Yeah, she's getting useful. But it took aliens doing something to her to achieve that. It wasn't anything she had accomplished on her own. Even then, Rush had to goad her into making use of it.

However, putting her on the bridge was just plain stupid.

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

I want her to be useful. I'd really really really really like her to be useful.

But I'm wary of them turning her into a Lana Lang.

In short:
    Everyone loves her, it's depicted as wrong for others to act questionably when she is forgiven for every bad choice, Clark keeps loving her even after she breaks his heart about a dozen times, she learns martial arts and how to handle guns amazingly quickly, and then they give her superpowers. She is given a biological suit, which mimics Kryptonian abilities, meaning she is as powerful as Clark. But then to top it all off, in order to save the day, she absorbs a massive amount of Kryptonite from a bomb (and as a result, her body now radiates the stuff itself) and then departs from the show. Effectively, this means that Lana Lang is now the one person on the planet, who could slaughter Clark (aka "pre-Superman") with ease if the circumstances made it so.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodModeSue

Yeah, but the whole Lana thing was because a certain writer absolutely loved Lana, and kept wanting to bring her back and make her into this great thing that everyone would love. It didn't work, as everyone else got tired with her GodModeSue antics.

I don't get the sense that the writers are deliberately making her this way. Instead, it feels more like the actor isn't asking for enough for her character. Much like Chloe, the actor needs to step up and say, "Hey, I think my character should be shown standing up and doing more on the ship" instead of continually being a helpless damsel in distress. It's pretty much insulting to the character and women in general.

I liked Chloe from the beginning, but I think I like Super Chloe even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    I don't get the sense that the writers are deliberately making her this way. Instead, it feels more like the actor isn't asking for enough for her character. Much like Chloe, the actor needs to step up and say, "Hey, I think my character should be shown standing up and doing more on the ship" instead of continually being a helpless damsel in distress. It's pretty much insulting to the character and women in general.
    And how do you know Elyse hasn't done this? Or how do you know the writers would even bother, given the amount of other actors who probably also want more character involvement?

It seems extremely strange that you've just jumped to this conclusion about the actress herself with zero evidence. For a while now I've understood where your grievance with Chloe lies, but this is a whole new level...one which I think is insulting to the actress, and one which I certainly don't understand.

Additionally, this thread once again screams "Chloe just cannot win" to me. People wanted her to be useful, but then they don't like it that her usefulness comes in the form of alien experimentation? Goalpost moving, much? *sigh*
    Sig by Pandora's Box

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

No, it's when you have an ensemble cast, one character really and truly shouldn't overshadow them all.

That's one reason why people get so annoyed with Characters like Wesley from TNG or Lana Lang from Smallville.

With this alien modification thing, some people are just wary of her becoming an overpowered character. And if she can do all this then why have the other characters on the show at all?

Chloe is just the Damsel in distress and so far doesn't really serve to fill in a niche to complement the ensemble/team. She isn't even the voice of morality for the team. She's not even plucky comedy relief. She's just there to cause trouble.

She's a nice person, and an attractive girl, but in terms of the show's metaplot, even if there is one, she has no real purpose to her character being there.

When a character's part of a team, their skills should fill a niche and complement the other members. Not overshadow them.

And right now that's the danger we seem to face that Chloe might, in the long term, be turned into a GodModeSue.

In an ensemble/team show, you should have some sort of balance and all members should be able to contribute something.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
    And how do you know Elyse hasn't done this? Or how do you know the writers would even bother, given the amount of other actors who probably also want more character involvement?

It seems extremely strange that you've just jumped to this conclusion about the actress herself with zero evidence. For a while now I've understood where your grievance with Chloe lies, but this is a whole new level...one which I think is insulting to the actress, and one which I certainly don't understand.

Additionally, this thread once again screams "Chloe just cannot win" to me. People wanted her to be useful, but then they don't like it that her usefulness comes in the form of alien experimentation? Goalpost moving, much? *sigh*
    You would be reading things into my statement that I didn't say, then. I only said "I get the sense" rather than "This is the way it is and here's all the proof." I didn't state it as a fact, when you're treating it like I did.

And what makes me feel this way? Nothing too concrete, really. Just the things the actress says in interviews, how she behaves, which give me a feeling that she is just letting the writers determine her character, rather than adapting to it and deciding on her own, "Hey, I actually think Chloe would do this instead." Some actors do this, and some don't. It's not a good or a bad thing, so much as a difference of opinion.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wanted to see her usefulness come from the character itself; her thoughts, dreams, hopes, motivations, etc. I have given her some props for being useful in deciding to do those equations (with some prodding from Rush). But this kinda feels like they just needed a body that wasn't otherwise being used, in order to fit the "turning into an alien" plot on.

It would be as if they removed the brain of one character and plugged in a computer brain instead, and now the person was really useful... except it really wasn't the person itself, just the computer brain doing all the work.

In short, chill. We can all state our opinions here without people like you jumping down the throat of someone who thinks differently than you do. I think you're better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    You would be reading things into my statement that I didn't say, then. I only said "I get the sense" rather than "This is the way it is and here's all the proof." I didn't state it as a fact, when you're treating it like I did.
    Great! Glad to see you wouldn't state something like that as fact, though I still am baffled as to why this would be a decently remote possibility to you, though you do admit that it's nothing concrete. That said, we've disagreed on enough stuff in the past that perhaps it shouldn't be surprising.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wanted to see her usefulness come from the character itself; her thoughts, dreams, hopes, motivations, etc. I have given her some props for being useful in deciding to do those equations (with some prodding from Rush). But this kinda feels like they just needed a body that wasn't otherwise being used, in order to fit the "turning into an alien" plot on.

It would be as if they removed the brain of one character and plugged in a computer brain instead, and now the person was really useful... except it really wasn't the person itself, just the computer brain doing all the work.
    I'd agree with you if her personality was completely different from this (i.e. imagine something similar to the stone technology). However, Chloe made it very clear in this last episode that she's starting to feel in control of what is happening to her brain. Sure, this may not be the case (i.e. the blank stare when she was at the controls), or perhaps she has yet to harness it fully. Perhaps more time will show us that these changes are not actually changing Chloe's personality so much as they're changing a given skill set.

In short, chill. We can all state our opinions here without people like you jumping down the throat of someone who thinks differently than you do. I think you're better than that.
    Yikes! Chill? People like me? Whatever way you interpreted my post, I assure you it wasn't meant as an attack. Reading my post once more, I don't really see me jumping down your throat. Sorry if it came across that way.
    Sig by Pandora's Box

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    Ginn was math girl. Chole is mrs smurf
    Why did she have to die?
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I do hope something happens in the next episode or two. Perhaps she gets her hands on the bridge again and causes all sorts of problems that lead them to some sort of discovery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast