Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
    That's what is fun.
    Well, it's been fun for me. Her slowly changing is scarier, to the character, to the people around her, and to me.

Too bad you don't think the same.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
      Well, it's been fun for me. Her slowly changing is scarier, to the character, to the people around her, and to me.
      It's not clear which type of change is scarier. Fast or slow change. If the change is slow you get used to it and learn to live with it when the change is faster, you are really scared because one week you were Chloe then 3 weeks later you must handle being someone with violent outburst, ability to read's people mind and everybody around you treat you like a walking disease or a trojan horse. Scott don't know what to think anymore. Rush want to use you to pursue his mission. The fact that you can read blue aliens words and prefer to stay in water half the time make you afraid of yourself. The changes just need to be slow enough or giving enough screen time so we can see the progression.

The way I see it. Nothing much will happens to the Chloe storyline. Certainly nothing of my 2 seconds brainstorming above and by episode 16 they will find a cure. Just a long drown out SGA episode with even less plot developments.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I'd rather see how it plays out before judging it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          I'd rather see how it plays out before judging it.
          I say that because I based it on past storylines which seems to be interesting but then the writers drop the ball on them or simply almost nothing happens. Like when Scott, Chloe and Eli were Lost in another galaxy. Or even when Rush was alone on the Justice planet. Or when Telford is getting captured by the seeder ship alien. Or Franklin as an avatar, the Destiny AI, the "conflict" with the blue aliens etc etc. Sure Telford may come back by episode 18. But what interest me is the adventures he's living now!!!
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series.
            yeah, teen angst indeed. but i also don't connect with the actress. c'est la vie.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I think part of the problem is that Scott and Chloe are too often show together. It sort of makes it difficult to see them as individuals rather than just couple (a rather clumsily written one as well). This is less of a problem for Scott who gets more other scenes but Chole really could benefit from some shots where she isn't just Scotts girlfriend.

This has been a big problem in season 1 and has become somewhat better now as her mutation is seperation her from the rest of the crew. Providing the mutation does not kill her or cause her to be thrown of the ship, the best part of action would be to end the relationship and find something else to do with her. Scott would probably benefit from this as well, I always think the scenes with Chloe waste the potential of the character.
              In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Commander View Post
                With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe
                ...and if it weren't for that hamster, Eli....
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future,
                  What? Another scientist/braniac added to the mix? We already have enough of those on SGU and the they are alll far more interesting than Ginn (one thing I could not stand about SGA was that TPTB felt Ford was unnecessary because of Shep's presence but they had no problems having adding a whole science team brigade to the show despite Rodney being around to solve all problems). Sorry, folk, but if at least half of you are mentioning the character's physical attractiveness when you gush about Ginn that says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                    TPTB are just building up a Character, is that so wrong?
                    Building up a character? That would work great... if Chloe had experience any building up in the year and a half she's been on the show. The ONLY thing that gave her a bit of growth was way back in Earth, when she got drunk and realized how superficial her friends were, and by extension, how she was (and it's not even clear that stuck or meant any sort of character change). Everything since then was "me me me (or my boyfriend)." I am seriously not kidding; we can scroll to almost any scene she's in, and the action she takes or advocates is highly beneficial to her. Well, I partially take that back; she had a very small moment of awesomeness in Justice when she stood up to Wray, but that was never really repeated nor did it mean much in the long run. She hasn't matured at all. All that's happened is that she got infected (and possibly screwed up the ship in the first place).

Again, there is a reason the SGU tropes page still lists her as "The Load."

Being a constant damsel in distress is demeaning to her potential as a character, in my opinion, and women in general. And I speak up bluntly and say these things because I'd like her to come into her own. I want her to be someone beyond a caricature of a selfish, helpless, young female. For instance, if she stands up to the crew in defense of Rush.

But the sadly ironic thing is that, by giving her this infection, it means that they have to lock her up, which means she can't grow into a better person.

Comment

i honestly forgot about her. once they showed her, i was like "oh yeah chloe". i think having her have this whole "i know everything now" storyline that is starting to emerge is taking away from the other character's roles (this ep's eli's) and they are much better characters.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                        What? Another scientist/braniac added to the mix? We already have enough of those on SGU and the they are alll far more interesting than Ginn (one thing I could not stand about SGA was that TPTB felt Ford was unnecessary because of Shep's presence but they had no problems having adding a whole science team brigade to the show despite Rodney being around to solve all problems). Sorry, folk, but if at least half of you are mentioning the character's physical attractiveness when you gush about Ginn that says it all.
                        Ginn's an alien from an off world human culture who's old enough to have lived both under and after Goa'uld rule. She's interesting if just for the fact that she's actually from one of the human societies that SG-1 fought to free from the Goa'uld for all those years. Having her around, and cooperating, would be nice if just to show some tangible sense of what all of that accomplished and sort of tie together and pay homage to the first series. IE Ginn's only around now because of what the hero's in the first series made possible.

She also brings a different viewpoint that's both human and alien. There's interesting potential to highlight cultural differences and perspectives there.

Chloe is a rich American white girl who spends most of her time moping about her relationship with SGU's equivalent to captain of the football team. Oh and she's turning into an alien. The most interesting thing about her is that she's turning into something else.

Comment

you guys are romantics (look up the real meaning) if there is an ordinary person on a show, then you guys think that person has to be written off or something, while me being a realist likes to see someone i can relate to

like in the 1800s when art was coming around there were the romantics who like heroic art and such that goes with them, while their opposite, the realist, liked photos and art of everyday workers because it is real and they can relate to the people in the paintings
                          Last edited by General Jumper One; 18 November 2010, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                            i honestly forgot about her. once they showed her, i was like "oh yeah chloe". i think having her have this whole "i know everything now" storyline that is starting to emerge is taking away from the other character's roles (this ep's eli's) and they are much better characters.
                            No it's the basic for drama. Chloe is not a character that know everything. It's a character transforming into somebody else. First, she didn't know much beside politics, now she knows all those strange things. She's living a very difficult moment. If they give her more screen time (I mean more screentime for this storyline in general if it involve other element like the blue aliens for example) and plot development it will be interesting.

Comment

I'd like to see her get a lot more screen time. A lot of Chloe's on screen time seems to be structured around trying to make the audience feel sorry for her for one reason or another, but to do that I actually need a reason to like her first, so it totally falls flat.

I'm actually curious toward why the people that do like her like her. I can explain fairly reasonably why I like Rush so I'm genuinely curious why the people that like her character do.
                              I can give a couple:
                              1. She was very open and friendly with Eli from the get-go, despite his awkwardness. That plus her caring for Matt's sunburn, constantly checking up on Eli/TJ/etc. when they're having a hard time and so on, qualifies her for the label "sweet."
                              2. She's smart. They haven't been able to show much of it so far, but imagine Daniel Jackson being on Destiny instead of Chloe. He would have been able to contribute absolutely nothing up to this point. He is an expert on Earth-based mythology, languages, cultures, etc.. Nothing Destiny has encountered would have required his talents. Likewise with Chloe, but the character bio shows that the potential is there.
                              3. Beating up Rush, standing up to Wray, etc..
                              4. Doing what other characters have only talked about: admitting her flaws and trying to change them. Everyone else has just sort of bulled ahead with whatever they were doing until a major catastrophe forced the issue. Chloe has consistently said "Wow, my life is f**ked, I'm totally going to learn from this and do better."
                              5. Yoga!
                              6. That whole "go ahead, poison me" hand-sticking-out scene. It looked neat and was quite brave on her part.
                              7. She's hot. Hey, if that's reason enough for some of the members on this board to hate her, it's reason enough for me to like her.
                              8. I don't really feel like making a list right now, so hopefully that gives at least some sort of idea. I was probably more judgmental a decade ago, but after working in psych, my instinct is to automatically like everyone until they give me reason not to, as opposed to needing reasons to like them. I guess everyone on Destiny is just a part of the story for me - I like all of the characters.

Comment

Does this make anyone else think of "Angel"? They killed off Fred but kept the actress. She was blue too. Chloe could be gone, if whatever is controlling her takes over. Hopefully that won't happen though. I like Chloe.
                                sigpic
                                Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                                O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                                Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                                O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Working...
                                X