SGU without Chloe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
    She has become more interesting with her slow transformation but she still isn't the most exciting person on Destiny.
    Thing is she really hasnt mutated much at all yet, I mean come on, give a teaser with the whole Scott hallucination wedding scene and then a little bit of blue crud on her leg are about the only visible symptoms of this metamorphosis all the rest has been inner cranial as it were... ZZZzzzZZZ
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Poly-sci majors are hot!

I think the dislike of Chloe goes back to a high school mentality of having to have every fit into their little pre-defined cliques. I guess in sci-fi You have to be 1) a badass fem fetal 2) an exotic blue hottie 3) a caring doctor or 4) A science hottie. People that don't want to watch her because "she serves no purpose" lack the imagination and sense of adventure to follow along with a character as they find a purpose. I actually think the alien influence is a bit of a cop out. She's a political science major just out of college and when she finds herself on a ship without a clearly defined purpose, what does she do? Well, after beating the crap out of Rush, she STUDIES and tries to find ways to contribute which is what any of us would do in that situation. I think her political science experience could come in very handy if they one day met civilizations and I think she could be a better Wray then Wray by finding ways to bring the crew together instead of being divisive.
      I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
        Because when you think of Chloe, you think of two things: she's Scott's gf, and she's part alien. Neither one of those things are qualities that are intrinsic to her.

should be familiar with.
        That's what you think of when you think of her. For me when I think of Scott, I think of her as Chloe's bf but fortunately recently he is starting to become his own man. I do think some of your suggestions are good though and I would have preferred her to find her purpose without becoming "the resident alien." I think that story is cool though, maybe it could have happened to someone else.
        I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Seriously, Chloe could become a really cool character once she figured out her Smurfette abilities.

What she pulled on the bridge though was quite scary, in just a few secounds she handled a lot. I would be anxious and also very afraid to get her on the consoles again. She obviously has more control over the ship with a simple look then Rush searching for months.

Also she could still become the Girlfriend of Eli since Scott probably wont be able to handle a half Alien girlfriend.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future, where as Chloe's main purpose as a character seems to be to prevent Scott from becoming awesome.

For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series. I'm waiting for the alien thing to develop into something more interesting but thus far it's mostly been used as just an excuse for more tedious mopey angst.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              I'd rather Simeon had snapped her neck then Ginn's. Wouldn't make sense but I think Ginn would have had more interesting contributions to the series in the future, where as Chloe's main purpose as a character seems to be to prevent Scott from becoming awesome.

For the record I don't blame the actress either. It's just the material they're giving her is the sort of boring pseudo teen romance "rich kids with problems" stuff that usually makes me avoid a series. I'm waiting for the alien thing to develop into something more interesting but thus far it's mostly been used as just an excuse for more tedious mopey angst.
              TPTB are just building up a Character, is that so wrong?
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                Poly-sci majors are hot!

I think the dislike of Chloe goes back to a high school mentality of having to have every fit into their little pre-defined cliques. I guess in sci-fi You have to be 1) a badass fem fetal 2) an exotic blue hottie 3) a caring doctor or 4) A science hottie. People that don't want to watch her because "she serves no purpose" lack the imagination and sense of adventure to follow along with a character as they find a purpose.. I actually think the alien influence is a bit of a cop out She's a political science major just out of college and when she finds herself on a ship without a clearly defined purpose, what does she do? Well, after beating the crap out of Rush, she STUDIES and tries to find ways to contribute which is what any of us would do in that situation. I think her political science experience could come in very handy if they one day met civilizations and I think she could be a better Wray then Wray by finding ways to bring the crew together instead of being divisive.
                None of that is why I don't like her and I have a very good imagination.
                I wish more of this studying was shown as it probably would have been more beneficial in aiding how I view her character than the scenes of her laying in bed with Scott.

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                That's what you think of when you think of her. For me when I think of Scott, I think of her as Chloe's bf but fortunately recently he is starting to become his own man. I do think some of your suggestions are good though and I would have preferred her to find her purpose without becoming "the resident alien." I think that story is cool though, maybe it could have happened to someone else.
                Where as Scott seems to be coming into his own, to me Chloe still seems a bit too co-dependant.
                We just see the characters differently I guess
                sigpic

Comment

I have to admit that having little Chloe and Wray in this episode made it better. Neither are interesting to watch to be honest.

I'm interested to see what they do with Chloe but I could see her dying by the end of the season. To be honest it would be odd if none of the main cast died as they made a point of saying how nobody would be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                    TPTB are just building up a Character, is that so wrong?
                    Probably shouldn't take 2 years to pay off.

Take Wray for example. Wray is another civilian character without any really obvious special talents that would be immediately useful to the team yet she's a lot more interesting to me.

I'd like to see her get a lot more screen time. A lot of Chloe's on screen time seems to be structured around trying to make the audience feel sorry for her for one reason or another, but to do that I actually need a reason to like her first, so it totally falls flat.

I'm actually curious toward why the people that do like her like her. I can explain fairly reasonably why I like Rush so I'm genuinely curious why the people that like her character do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      Probably shouldn't take 2 years to pay off.

Take Wray for example. Wray is another civilian character without any really obvious special talents that would be immediately useful to the team yet she's a lot more interesting to me.
                      Yeah, but SGU already got Wray. It also got a TJ. Chloe represent a civilian which was thrown in this situation against her will. She was just visiting Icarus with her father, and bang, she was now part of a ship with military and scientists exploring the universe and trying to survive. Sure she could say: "Oh by the way, I'm a great biologist and I know everything about ecology". But it would only turn her into another Park or Brody or whatever scientists. We saw she's tries to help with the food gathering, reading articles of archeology etc. All written into her character before the season premiere.

Now she's living a very difficult moment with the blue alien abduction and the subsequent biological (mental?) transformation. I can't wait to see where they were going with this. Increase mental ability is cool. Somehow I hoped she really did have some other kind of ability like I thought she had from the summer trailer. But with a faster pace the current situation with her could be great. Even better if they interlink her situation with the current arc(s) whatever they are... Destiny's Mission? Blue aliens?
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I love the slow pace of her arc. It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes - that's just the formula that we Stargate viewers got used to after 15 seasons. There's no reason it can't develop slowly, just as it might in the real world. *shrugs* I think she's coming along very nicely.
                        sigpic

Comment

With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe
                          Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                            I love the slow pace of her arc. It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes -
                            That's the mentality I hope not too much writers have. Not because a show has a fast pace that things are wrapped up neatly in the end. Faster pace means more plot development, twist after twist. When one plotlines gets resolved you introduce another one then another one. Episode 10 Chloe has completely turn blue and can fly, among other things, after a lot of development. Finally TJ find a cure, she turned human again. Then we see blue aliens in their ship with subtitles. "The transmission is cut off Chief". With 'a' Chloe in water tank (hinting that the other Chloe might not be the real Chloe). That's the lost mentality to story telling. Not slow drawn out plot, moving at a snail pace but fast moving plot with a lot of peripety and plot development! That's what is fun and intellectually stimulating. We know Chloe can solve formula we don't need 4 episodes to tell us that. Writers must take chances and not be afraid of introducing plot developments.
                            Last edited by Commander Zelix; 17 November 2010, 01:11 PM.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                              It doesn't need to be all dealt with and wrapped up neatly within a set number of episodes - that's just the formula that we Stargate viewers got used to after 15 seasons. There's no reason it can't develop slowly, just as it might in the real world.
                              Her arc is growing to be a little different than Shep's conversion was... or whatever super alien abilities SG characters have temporarily gained over the years. This time it won't be resolved in an episode or two.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                                Her arc is growing to be a little different than Shep's conversion was... or whatever super alien abilities SG characters have temporarily gained over the years. This time it won't be resolved in an episode or two.
                                Yeah but if they take 4 episodes just to tell us what she can solve formulas what is the differences? They just take the super alien abilities idea and stretch it over many episodes. Instead of concentrating on it on one episode while giving it resolution at the end.

Said in another way. If nothing much happens to her in 4 episodes, its boring and it sucks. What is interesting is introducing a lot of plot development with twists and turns. Not just stretching an SGA episode plot over 15 episodes. That's just ridiculous. After something gets resolved, seemingly, you introduce new things, new twists, new direction to the plots and character development. That's what is fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X