Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default SGU without Chloe...

I wasn't until after the 10 minute mark of this ep that Chloe was first sighted, which was a very fleeting sighting at that. It immediately made me think that she doesn't really add that much to the show, as it was a cracking episode up that point and I didn't even realise she wasn't around.

I haven't always been anti-Chloe but unless this Smurfette-Chloe transformation makes things interesting, I can't see the character staying around too long.

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

Default Re: SGU without Chloe...

I can see her sticking around forever. Just to spite all the haters. Or, maybe, because some people, like the writers, actually like her, no contributions or not.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

I wouldn't call myself anti-Chloe at all. I like Elyse Levesque and I hope she gets screen time. However, I do think TPTB have written themselves into a corner with her character. She's a civilian that doesn't really bring any skills to the table, unlike Eli, Rush, Volker, or the other scientists. As such, she can't serve a specific function on a what's essentially a military vessel.

What do you do with a civilian on a military vessel? She's essentially a random element, an X-factor in the whole situation and it's not clear how she'd fit in with the crew other than being Scott's girlfriend. If it weren't for the transformation plot with the Blueberry/Smurf aliens, what would she be doing? I hope TPTB really do something special with this plot...
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; November 17th, 2010 at 01:53 AM.

I actually really liked Chloe in this episode (and have since the last episode of last season). I don't know if it was the acting or the setup or what, but I thought "Awwwww, leave her alone u guyz!" when everyone (even Eli) was being mean to her.

I still think that Chloe's ultimate fate will be to lose the funky healing powers and the super-brain, but retain knowledge of various alien species in this area of space through everything the Blues have mind-pillaged. That, plus the setup last season with her studying all of Jackson's writings/reports sets her up as being the Daniel character for Destiny. That's the main reason they haven't been able to explore alien lore/planets and such on Destiny - no points of reference. Chloe is becoming that point of reference.
    Last edited by k1037; November 17th, 2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Best thing they could do is blow Teenage Mutant Blueberry Chloe out of an airlock. Brody's scepticism with regards to TMBC helping on the bridge says it all.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

There are a few characters that seem to be "Hey that sounds like a good idea." brainstorm only to come back after character introductions and what not to think what can we do with them now? Chloe is the obvious one to point fingers at because the character itself is basically bland. She can't shoot anything because she hasn't had the training, she's not incredibly smart like Rush or Eli, personally I am not sure why she's allowed on away missions as she would more likely be a liability than help. Elyse is doing a good job with her acting though I just hope that something can be done about her character or else she'll be dead by the end of Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
    Best thing they could do is blow Teenage Mutant Blueberry Chloe out of an airlock. Brody's scepticism with regards to TMBC helping on the bridge says it all.
    It won't happen, but IF some1 is to go out of the show, it's her. Otherwise she would become another deux ex-machina

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine_nl View Post
    It won't happen, but IF some1 is to go out of the show, it's her. Otherwise she would become another deux ex-machina
    I agree. They've killed off a number of secondary characters already. Sooner or later, they'll likely eliminate one of the main characters for a really dramatic plot development and I'm thinking she'd be one of the top candidates to get written out—her and perhaps Wray.

what's with all the airlocking. it's SGU not BSG. even though they are 66.6666666666 % identical (B-SG and SG-u)

I don't really hate her (even though she can be annoying sometimes) but I wouldn't miss her if she was gone. I think her main problem is that she is rather boring and was entangled in a few rather melodramatic sub plots back in Season 1.

She has become more interesting with her slow transformation but she still isn't the most exciting person on Destiny.

I really would like to see the end of her relationship with Scott since this has gotten rather old and I feel she is dragging down Scott somewhat.

Tower 4C, Pier 3, Atlantis Base Or Columbia,SC

Hmmmm... So.. why is Eli all hating on her now?

He lost his trick and now he's all hating on Chloe. I really want him to grow the F up!

I've developed a Love/Hate relationship with Eli. Lately, it's been mostly hate.

"You know sometimes, when your using the stones, you forget your actually in someone else's body, like when I went that club with Chloe that night and flirted with that chick who could have had herpes or some other more permanent passenger, all while I was in someone else's body. I'm just saying"

KlaxxonBlue

I like Chloe and would miss her if they killed her off

Hmmm Just off the top of my head, all I can say is that in season 1 she was important for political reasons. But they just sorta dropped the fact that she is the senators daughter. Which is fine with me. All of the political IOA stuff always annoyed me. More Sy-Fi, less Woolsey. I'm fine with her getting screen time due to her transformation, but I want to see her let in more, rather than only see her onscreen with Lt. Scott. Tonight was a good start.
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    I can see her sticking around forever. Just to spite all the haters. Or, maybe, because some people, like the writers, actually like her, no contributions or not.
    Being SGU's (perhaps the entire franchise's) Wesley is a dubious honour indeed.

But even TNG's writers eventually got the message, and that was in the days before the interwebz.

I can see the writers (1) rehashing the Ancient Repository angle on this. Make Chloe really smart for a few episodes, but her brain shuts itself down because it can't deal with the changes, then it'll get deus ex machina'd out. Or (2) Making Chloe really smart for the duration, and REALLY turn her into the Wesley, which would probably be the shark jumping moment of the franchise.

Chief Master Sergeant randomking's Avatar

well i think they wanted to focuse on eli and rush....show that they do have a hart...and maby it plays into a later date
    Spoiler:
    one of the go bat crap crazy?

Chief Master Sergeant

I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating if the writers are committed to the character and/if they are creative enough to provide the character with an interesting backstory/characterization. So any fault with Chloe is the fault of the writing team, not the actress in my opinion.

Now some actors can exceed what they are given on the page and make the bland words that come out of their mouths interesting. But that's a special lot, a very tiny portion of those of the thespian populace. Elyse is not at that level. But she is good enough to make Chloe complex as long as she is given good material to work with.

With that said I still like Chloe. I don't see her being killed off (if the show continues) because TPTB appear to like her as well. If TPTB listened to some of you guys she, Matt and Camille would already be dead. I look forward to what TPTB will have in store for her and the blue aliens. The only way I would probably start to dislike her is if TPTB hooked her up with Eli because frankly the Eli fans have turned me off even on the possibility of such a hookup.

As for people not noticing her absence in the first ten or so minutes...well if the episode is great you can say that about virtually any character that is kept off the screen for the first portion of a show. As long as that character is not your personal favorite that is.

While moving at a snail pace and very tentative I think the Chloe transformation plot is very good thus far.

It would be better if the blue aliens were a more present enemy like the Goaould or the Wraith. So everything would be linked with some ever present overarching threat and arc. But in my head, I'm telling myself that it is. Well, it may be for real, we don't know what the writers have in store for us.

Quote Originally Posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
    I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating
    I think the world of scripted TV and Movie is built on the idea of putting ordinary people like you and me through challenges and incredible events. There's not even any need for any type of "I was beaten up by father" background or flashback. Putting ordinary people through extraordinary events is almost the foundation of TV.

It's the impact on those events on her and how she reacts and people around her reacts which make it interesting. Same as the development of her situation.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Kill off Chloe makes things too easy. I want tension not easiness. And that spiting fandom Matt was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by General Jumper One View Post
    I like Chloe and would miss her if they killed her off
    Yes, same here.