The attack on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smooth View Post
    I still do not understand why the LA would bother attacking earth. Despite any grudges that they may have, what is there to gain? A frontal assault on earth would cost them a sizable portion of their fleet, causing whatever clans that were involved in the attack to lose grip on their own territories, likely to clans not committed to the attack. Even terrorist style attacks would only serve to unite and militarize earth. In order for either of those plans to succeed, they would have to destroy earth entirely. The risk of losing much of their fleet and/or starting a chain of events that would make knowledge of the rest of the universe apparent to the general public of earth seems hardly worth it. So what could they possibly have to gain that would be of such vital importance to warrant the attack in the first place? It really doesn't make sense. If they didn't attack, then what? They still control their portions of the galaxy and only have to deal with earth "meddling" in their affairs. The best thing the LA could do is stay far away from earth.
    Attacking Earth is an easy way to victory. If they actually manage to Destroy earth, they would have the full attention of the MW. Earth got up by Defeating System Lords, Destroying the ones that Destroyed them all would make the LA the new Topdogs.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      We never have been able to see through cloaks before I don't see how that would chane
      Yup.. Heck the Daedalus (siege 3) needed shep to decloak to see him and lock on with the asgard beams. They could hear his transmissions though since they were going back and fourth...

Attacking Earth is an easy way to victory. If they actually manage to Destroy earth, they would have the full attention of the MW. Earth got up by Defeating System Lords, Destroying the ones that Destroyed them all would make the LA the new Topdogs.
      Yup... Beat the best around, and become the new best..

Comment

We never have been able to see through cloaks before I don't see how that would chane
        I'm pretty sure that in an ep of SG1 somewhere in Season 9 Carter says she can calibrate the ship so that it can pick up various signitures.
        Also, Anubis could and so could the Asgard and we have their tech, so i'm sure that we would be able too.

Comment

Well.. Just wait for it and see what the writers will think of. I can see it go both ways, earth may be able to detect cloaked ships with some device (and safe the day).. or not so much. Anyone played Mass Effect? The avatar's ship is able to cloak itself by holding back its warmth and 'exhaust fumes'-aquivalents. But only for a limitied amount of time and the ship would still be optically visible. There are a lot of ways in a sci fi setting to implement a cloaking device for space ships. There's no point in discussing if Earths ships should be able to detect them or not, as it is a TV show and no actual science.. just lean back and nit pick afterwards
          Any sufficiently advanced race is indistinguishable from god.

(..to any insufficiently advanced race)

Comment

Cloaked ships should not be able to infiltrate earth at all. Atlantis has the ability to detect ships in hyperspace from light years away. The Asgard were able to detect hyperspace travel within a 1,200 lightyear radius around earth. Since no Goa'uld ship is able to stay cloaked while in hyperspace, they would need to leave hyperspace outside of earth's sensor range, cloak, and then travel to earth in normal space. The fact that they were able to infiltrate earth before suggests that earth is full of incompetent idiots who don't know how to use the tech they have.

The only chance the Lucien Alliance has against earth is if they have ships come out of hyperspace right in earth's atmosphere and kamikaze the planet.

Comment

Perhaps we have not managed to locate that part of the Asgard database and make our own version.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Perhaps we have not managed to locate that part of the Asgard database and make our own version.
                The Asgard database is extremely user friendly. It shouldn't be that hard for them to find what they need.

Plus they still have Atlantis and the enhanced Asgard sensors on the Odyssey, which they could have replicated on the other ships or made a ground/satellite based version.

Comment

But the ancient sensors never showed us they could track a cloaked ship. And who's to say the oddesy could?

Comment

My thoughts may contain spoilers up to The Greater Good.

Spoiler:
                    What if the Earth gets destroyed in the attack? Then there is no going home! ... but, they could still right the wrongs in the final episode, assuming they find out enough about the universe to control reality.
                    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
                    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
                    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
                    Spoiler:
                    *beep*
                    Young: "What the hell was that?"
                    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
                      My thoughts may contain spoilers up to The Greater Good.

Spoiler:
                      What if the Earth gets destroyed in the attack? Then there is no going home! ... but, they could still right the wrongs in the final episode, assuming they find out enough about the universe to control reality.
                      The writers are never going to have Earth destroyed.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

The writers are never going to have Earth destroyed.
                        Awww, but, but...
                        SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
                        SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
                        ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
                        Spoiler:
                        *beep*
                        Young: "What the hell was that?"
                        Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

No.. BUT it still would be awesome to see..

Comment

Working...
                          X