No announcement yet.

Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital punishment is only wrong in a society where a worse punishment is viable.
    They cant keep him locked up in Destiny forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreol View Post
      Please, count a few.

What makes us think so?
      Without watching the episodes again. 1. Why did Rush risk all their lives by dialing the 9th cheveron rather than home. I just don't buy the "earth might have blown up" thing. 2. Rush framed Young for Murder. 3. Rush puts Franklin in the chair before himself. 4. Rush incites a coup. 5. Rush lies about the bridge for a long time. 6. Rush lets Chloe be blamed for his crap (her in the corridor rather than him in the bridge).

Okay, I like Rush, a lot. But you really think that he has been written as a courageous and likable character? I LOVED him from the get-go because I LOVE Robert Carlyle, but the writers give us a reason every episode to hate him. If you don't agree, then I respect that. But in my opinion, he is only NOW turning into a hero. <3

P.S. That episode is on a hard drive in my closet, and its midnight here. I'll get back to you on that. My friend "Oreol"...you are noted, and I WILL get back to you on that. Bug me in a few days if I don't. But while I'm at that....anyone else want to side with me on his leaving his name out of the lottery being selfish??????
      sigpic
      Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
      O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
      Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
      O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

People know I'm not the biggest Rush supporter and even I say he isn't a coward. Selfish would be a more accurate definition. Normally he only cares about his own desires
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
          Without watching the episodes again. 1. Why did Rush risk all their lives by dialing the 9th cheveron rather than home. I just don't buy the "earth might have blown up" thing. 2. Rush framed Young for Murder. 3. Rush puts Franklin in the chair before himself. 4. Rush incites a coup. 5. Rush lies about the bridge for a long time. 6. Rush lets Chloe be blamed for his crap (her in the corridor rather than him in the bridge).
          1. I'll give you that. He could have dialed another planet. But that's not cowardice.
          2. Because Young wouldn't allow anyone to volunteer to sit in the chair, nor give him control of the science team to full study it. As we've seen, Rush was ultimately right.
          3. Rush didn't put Franklin in that chair. That was something Franklin chose to do. Even if we accept your theory, you have no proof, and I'd advise you of accusing someone of something without evidence, unless you want people to do the same to you.
          4. Rush helped, but he wasn't the only one. Wray and the rest of the civilians wanted it. In fact, it looks like Wray approached Rush about it.
          5. Perhaps, but his reasoning was sound. A lot of complicated stuff, and he wanted to understand it before everyone else got up there and started pushing buttons. Quite similar to the robot they found earlier.
          6. How do you know Chloe didn't have an effect? She had been fiddling with things for quite awhile during her blackouts.

But ultimately, none of this answers the question you were asked: What makes you think Rush knew that Destiny was going to recharge in the sun? We had no proof of it. At best, Rush could only have possibly wondered, but even he wouldn't have known. Hell, if he did think the ship was going to make it, he never would have allowed people and supplies to leave the ship.

P.S. That episode is on a hard drive in my closet, and its midnight here. I'll get back to you on that. My friend "Oreol"...you are noted, and I WILL get back to you on that. Bug me in a few days if I don't. But while I'm at that....anyone else want to side with me on his leaving his name out of the lottery being selfish??????
          Sorry, you aren't going to get anyone else siding with you on that. Given the choice of life or death, where only a limited number can survive, everyone else is going to tell you that giving up your spot to live to someone else, isn't selfish at all. There are quite a few things you can ding Rush for; this ain't one of them.

Comment

1. Why did Rush risk all their lives by dialing the 9th cheveron rather than home.
            Because he was brave to do so (he could have died with the others) and believed it was his destiny to complete his work. Nothing to do with cowardice.

2. Rush framed Young for Murder.
            It makes him a mephistophelean jerk, not a coward.

3. Rush puts Franklin in the chair before himself.
            Are we watching the same show? It never happened. It was Franklin 's own decision - he even tricked Eli to leave the room. Rush may have mislead Franklin, but it doesn't mean Rush is a coward.

5. Rush lies about the bridge for a long time.
            And it makes him a coward? He had reasons to do so.

6. Rush lets Chloe be blamed for his crap (her in the corridor rather than him in the bridge).
            It has nothing to do with him being a coward. He wanted to keep the bridge a secret. Also, he was right about Chloe - she is kinda dangerous as seen in the latest episode.

But you really think that he has been written as a courageous and likable character
            He may not be likable, but he's not a coward. I pointed some of his heroic acts (especially in Malice, Time, and Light). On the other hand, you didn't prove your point.
            ---
            As long as it servers the greater good, Rush can be insanely brave. Even Eli noticed that in 'Time': You are insane. You are! (when Rush rushed to the gate after the creatures attacked)
            Last edited by Oreol; 17 November 2010, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Rush had no choice but to disarm the bomb on Park. Their was talk of a proximity sensor. Once he had gotten close he couldn't run away without setting off the bomb. So the safer choice was to disarm it first.

Comment

Rush is simply arrogant, but really not a coward. In fact, in first series his character is defined as survivalist - he made it trough poor family, without support of any kind, only using his brain. So yes, survivalists tend to trust only themselves and see others as untrustworthy at best, enemies at worst. That's how they survive.

I think with LA attack and events of first part of this session he starts to understand that he simply can't do this on his own, that he has to trust others - otherwise he will get nowhere with discovering details of Destiny mission, ship itself, etc.

I know this kind of character development is kinda hard to grasp after rather simplistic SG-1/SGA heroes, but it really makes Rush interesting to watch. Yes, he is our antihero, unlikely leader who don't trust anyone, but in same time choose to start to.

Comment

I wouldn't call Rush a coward, rather he is someone who can be extremely selfish and obssessive. He puts the mission ahead of everything else, even the lives of the crew when he thinks it is necessary. He also refuses to trust anyone on the ship, although now that he's lost the one person he did trust it may force him to open up to the crew about what he's doing, especially now that everyone knows about the bridge.

Staying with Park was brave, because when he thought he couldn't disarm it, he could have run behind one of the rock outcroppings and hoped for the best. Instead he chose to stay with her. Perhaps this will be another moment that will force him to re-evaluate how he thinks of the people around him. It's easier in a way to send someone into a dangerous situation (like Riley in the shuttle crash) or leave someone behind (like Telford) when you aren't physically there to see it happen. Being faced with Park standing right there with a bomb strapped to her back, it would be a lot harder to abandon her. If Rush had left her I would have lost all respect for the character. I've been a Rush defender from the beginning, although he lost a lot of my respect when he tried to blackmail Chloe into helping him. Hopefully now he'll start to realize he can't do things alone and that he has to work with the rest of the crew.
                  sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

That character reminds me of these lyrics:
                    A modern-day warrior
                    Mean mean stride
                    Today's Tom Sawyer
                    Mean mean pride

Though his mind is not for rent
                    Don't put him down as arrogant
                    His reserve, a quiet defense
                    Riding out the day's events
                    The river

What you say about his company
                    Is what you say about society
                    Catch the mist, catch the myth
                    Catch the mystery, catch the drift

The world is, the world is
                    Love and life are deep
                    Maybe as his skies are wide

Today's Tom Sawyer
                    He gets high on you
                    And the space he invades
                    He gets by on you

No his mind is not for rent
                    To any God or government
                    Always hopeful, yet discontent
                    He knows changes aren't permanent
                    But change is

And what you say about his company
                    Is what you say about society
                    Catch the witness, catch the wit
                    Catch the spirit, catch the spit

The world is, the world is
                    Love and life are deep
                    Maybe as his eyes are wide

Exit the warrior
                    Today's Tom Tawyer
                    He gets high on you
                    And the energy you trade
                    He gets right on to the friction of the day
                    From the song Tom Sayer from.... Rush.

Comment

Another thing I really like about Rush is that he's the only one among the whole cast who seems to actually appreciate what fate (or Destiny if you prefer) has handed him. Everyone else would jump ship back for Earth tomorrow if they could but Rush would almost certainly rather be on Destiny exploring the universe.

It's what lets him connect with me as a character because this would be me. Why rush back to some boring hum drum existence on an overcrowded planet to live out the rest of your life as an unappreciated an unremembered social drone when you can experience something the human race has only dreamed about since the first caveman looked up at the night sky.

Sure it would be nice to go home again someday, but not if it meant I could never go back up, as it most certainly would for him.

Comment

Originally posted by blueintegraboy View Post
                        On another note, the last scene was ingenious.

Spoiler:
                        Once I knew Rush saw the herd of those creatures he was going to create a stampede. Then walking over to Simeon's mangled body and put a pullet in his head.
                        Same here . I actually liked him in this episode...and is it wrong that I smiled when he started to cry because it's his fault that Perry died? Had he not been secretive about the Bridge, she would have never been there at all. Though I am quite sad that it cost Perry her life
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          Another thing I really like about Rush is that he's the only one among the whole cast who seems to actually appreciate what fate (or Destiny if you prefer) has handed him. Everyone else would jump ship back for Earth tomorrow if they could but Rush would almost certainly rather be on Destiny exploring the universe.

It's what lets him connect with me as a character because this would be me. Why rush back to some boring hum drum existence on an overcrowded planet to live out the rest of your life as an unappreciated an unremembered social drone when you can experience something the human race has only dreamed about since the first caveman looked up at the night sky.

Sure it would be nice to go home again someday, but not if it meant I could never go back up, as it most certainly would for him.
                          To go back to their loved ones on Earth. The difference between Rush and everyone else is Rush has lost most of the people he cares about
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            To go back to their loved ones on Earth. The difference between Rush and everyone else is Rush has lost most of the people he cares about
                            I think with Amanda gone, he's lost everyone now.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

If Destiny ever needs an executioner, then Rush is your man!

Comment

Well, I like Rush a lot, but let's not forget with regards to saving Park...

1) He was on candid camera at the time, and he knew it.

2) Park is a civilian and a scientist, I wonder what he would have done if that was Young or some other meat head that had pissed him off in the past.

Well, we have an answer to what happens when one person dies on the stones. Killing Ginn to protect Chloe as the hottie. I found Ginn to be better looking and more fun to watch on screen. Way to go TPTB! Can't have Eli be happy either.

Don't know what will happen with Rush now, maybe him and Young will switch places with Rush being the one that doesn't want to bother getting out of bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X