This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long an arc?

SGU doesn't seem to have been conceived of with as long an arc in mind. I remember the producers "Hoping the show would run at least three years," and if 3 is the magic number, then we're getting pretty close to half way.

Any thoughts on how long they intended the story to run for? And why so short an arc, as compared to the other series?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

JM recently said that they can flesh the whole story out over five seasons, but can compress the next three into one if they had to.

Now, the difference between SGU and the previous ones is that SGU has an arc-based storytelling style, while SG1 and SGA are on-the-fly, take it by the season, episodic ones. SG-1 and SGA weren't planned to be as long as they were by any means, and the writers just wrote on-the-fly as they went along. SGU, however, seems to at least have an ending planned out, and the writers can figure out how to build up to it. It could be because that's SGU style - to actually have little arcs and less episodic storytelling - or maybe the writers have an ultimate point at the end of this show to tell their story.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      JM recently said that they can flesh the whole story out over five seasons, but can compress the next three into one if they had to.

Now, the difference between SGU and the previous ones is that SGU has an arc-based storytelling style, while SG1 and SGA are on-the-fly, take it by the season, episodic ones. SG-1 and SGA weren't planned to be as long as they were by any means, and the writers just wrote on-the-fly as they went along. SGU, however, seems to at least have an ending planned out, and the writers can figure out how to build up to it. It could be because that's SGU style - to actually have little arcs and less episodic storytelling - or maybe the writers have an ultimate point at the end of this show to tell their story.
      It's strange. I always considered the fight against the goauld and wraith as a long arc. Sure it wasn't goauld gouald wraith wraith in every episodes. There was also an exploration of the galaxy and find weapon (or ZPM) to protect ourselves arc. And obviously many other storylines and characters arcs. Not because the plots had some diversity from episodes to episodes that the overarching storylines (and there was many) and motivations weren't there.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        It's strange. I always considered the fight against the goauld and wraith as a long arc. Sure it wasn't goauld gouald wraith wraith in every episodes. There was also an exploration of the galaxy and find weapon (or ZPM) to protect ourselves arc. And obviously many other storylines and characters arcs. Not because the plots had some diversity from episodes to episodes that the overarching storylines (and there was many) and motivations weren't there.
        True, but my overall point is that SGU is a special cupcake and is somehow different in arc-based storytelling than the previous two shows, and I'm going to throw phrases like "episodic" and "on-the-fly writing" about because I've got no idea what I'm talking about.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

I think the main difference is that SGU has character arcs and a single slow story arc whereas SG1/SGA had no real character arcs and multiple story arcs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
            I think the main difference is that SGU has character arcs and a single slow story arc whereas SG1/SGA had no real character arcs and multiple story arcs.
            See, that's probably what I was trying to say. That and SG1 and SGA seemed to take things one season at a time, while SGU already has an ending planned.

Comment

I've definitely got a feeling that there is a planned ending, but maybe not a detailed plot arc of everything leading up to there. Thus JM's comment about the idea being 5 seasons, but that they could compress it into 3 seasons.
              sigpic
              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Yeah they definitely have it all planned out, I'm kind of in two minds as to whether its a good or band thing.

In SG1/SGA it always seemed like each arc became more far-fetched, it was like they felt the need to constantly go a step further and it always resulted in something far less believable than before whereas with the SGU approach it seems much easier to slowly build up and not get too carried away.

The drawback however is that ostensibly nothing truly groundbreaking is going to happen until the 5 years are up (assuming its not cancelled) and the audience that are clued in enough to know the plan will be aware of that.

Comment

I think they've got one big story they;re telling, with an end in mind. Lot's of smaller arcs along the way. Could play out to 5 seasons but they could manage in 3 if they had to.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
                    SGU doesn't seem to have been conceived of with as long an arc in mind. I remember the producers "Hoping the show would run at least three years," and if 3 is the magic number, then we're getting pretty close to half way.

Any thoughts on how long they intended the story to run for? And why so short an arc, as compared to the other series?
                    Five years, ideally.

Comment

4-5 years would be great. Honestly I don't care how long SGU lasts if it will have a solid ending and meaningful on-going story-arc. If it's 3 or 5 years, I don't care
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

He said 5 would be the number when everything work as planned. 3 would be the "emergency resolution". Personally, I feel 6 seasons would be perfect (not to long, not to short).
                        I just can hope that we get at least S5!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                          4-5 years would be great. Honestly I don't care how long SGU lasts if it will have a solid ending and meaningful on-going story-arc. If it's 3 or 5 years, I don't care
                          I care, 3 would be the absolute minimum for me, but still disappointing.

Every good TV show deserve 5 or 6 Seasons. 7 and 8 Seasons are sill good for some shows, but if the viewer get´s the feeling that the story is definitely told (like Heroes) producers should not go on till every remain bit of story and character credibility is gone. I can name a number of show´s that where to long on the air. IMO SG1 felt a little pooped out after 10 Seasons.
                          sigpic

Comment

Serialized shows tend to be smaller in number count as they start to get outrageous in the more latter seasons. 5 seems long enough. I'll be ready for the fourth Stargate series
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Serialized shows tend to be smaller in number count as they start to get outrageous in the more latter seasons. 5 seems long enough. I'll be ready for the fourth Stargate series
                              actually, I hope this won't happen right after SGU will end
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X