No announcement yet.

Enigma (116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tollans thought humans were too primitive to deal with their scientific knowledge and technology safely. An understandable point of view, I suppose.
    sigpic

Comment

Given what happened the last time they gave technology to someone, their policy is kind of understandable.
      Omack (sp.) has zero people skills, but Narim is kind of sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        The Tollans thought humans were too primitive to deal with their scientific knowledge and technology safely. An understandable point of view, I suppose.
        And its that primitiveness that makes them similar to how we were towards the native Americans. That is why i made that that analogy.

Comment

Its a poor analogy. Europeans interfered considerably with Native American to make them what they thought better. The Tollans wanted nothing to do with us
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Adorable cat - very well trained.
            I still don't understand Schroedinger's theoretical experiment - although I'm German just like him.

Anja
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

Schrödinger's Cat Paradox explained:

A cat is placed in a steel box along with a Geiger counter, a vial of poison, a hammer, and a radioactive substance. When the radioactive substance decays, the Geiger detects it and triggers the hammer to release the poison, which subsequently kills the cat. The radioactive decay is a random process, and there is no way to predict when it will happen. Physicists say the atom exists in a state known as a superposition—both decayed and not decayed at the same time.

Until the box is opened, an observer doesn't know whether the cat is alive or dead—because the cat's fate is intrinsically tied to whether or not the atom has decayed and the cat would, as Schrödinger put it, be "living and dead ... in equal parts" until it is observed.

Source: The Physics Behind Schrödinger's Cat Paradox
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks a lot, Falcon, I've read that text and several others - still do not understand. But I can live with it!!!
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

This episode is interesting, and it does manage to hold my attention for most of the time.
                  And it's a nice reversal of being the more technological advanced one (relatively speaking anyway).

They rescue people who do not want to be rescued in the first place, and on top of that, have no interest in sharing more about themselves beyond who they are and what their planet is called, Tollan. Or was called, since it turns into a lavafield.

Omac has his reasons to object to sharing, and Narim is head over heels so he's sharing in a different department. Carter's first love interest that doesn't want to kill her (or she him). Not particularly fond of the love interests -- they generally feel like giant clichés in my opinion.

Much love for Shrodinger though. However, that cat was way too docile -- his handlers probably gave him something before they put him in any of the scenes. Also, way too heavy for a cat (it sure as hell wasn't the fur that made him look poofy).

Colonel Maybourne -- the beginnings of a beautiful pain-in-Jack's-Mik'ta -- comes in and wants to take the Tollan away so he can squeeze them for tech-information. Like they would have been able to contain them anyway, considering they can walk through walls (very carefully).

And SG1 saves the day -- well, Daniel and Teal'c save the day cause they're the only ones who can't get courtmartialed.

All in all, not a bad episode, but not really ranking it too high in my list of favorites in season 1.

How would you rate SG-1's "Enigma"?

Excellent
                  Good
                  Fair
                  Poor
                  Terrible

Comment

Here I am with the 3-episode quiz and the jigsaw puzzle for Enigma.
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 25 November 2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes of S1. I don't find the Tollans arrogant like other fans. They are just being blunt. We are primitive. I think the episode is to show the reverse as it's the first time we see a race with technology more advanced than us. As later SG1 episodes show, their is a good reason we don't give advanced technology. Earth did the same. So I understand why the Tollans act the way they do. As FH points out, this is the first time Maybourne shows up so that is hilarious to see us wiggle. I do gripe a little at how Daniel gets away with technically committing treason. I could care less about Carter and her stalker.

Perfect score on quiz because I'm perfect. I got lucky on the planet designation. I'm terrible at those.

EDIT: 400 error on the puzzle link FH
                      Last edited by jelgate; 24 November 2017, 05:20 PM.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        EDIT: 400 error on the puzzle link FH
                        Fixed the link.

Comment

7 minutes and 32 seconds
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Treason is a very specific crime in the U.S.. Daniel does not commit treason, unless you're saying that the Tollan are enemies of the U.S.

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason: Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
                            Treason is a word much too lightly used in the Stargate universe.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

8 minutes and 31 seconds.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              Treason is a very specific crime in the U.S.. Daniel does not commit treason, unless you're saying that the Tollan are enemies of the U.S.

Treason is a word much too lightly used in the Stargate universe.

Seaboe
                              So the only way for it to be treason would be if the Tollan were declared enemies?
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Basically. Treason is a very rare charge. In the real world, not even Timothy McVeigh was charged with treason, and he directly attacked the government, by blowing up a government building and killing a number of people (including small children).

Seaboe
                                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                                X