No announcement yet.

What I don't Understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a bit of string wall to wall and the clothes draped over the wire?

For Sci-fi fans, some of you have seriously narrow minds and piss poor imagination

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
      How about a bit of string wall to wall and the clothes draped over the wire?

For Sci-fi fans, some of you have seriously narrow minds and piss poor imagination

N.C

I believe that one of the first episodes in season one, when they're checking rooms for missing supplies, shows socks and stuff hung on a line.

I don't think we have to see every single thing to know that they are there. People are going to the bathroom. They're washing their hair. Someone's peeling potatoes. Someone's washing pans. It happens, but we don't need to see it.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I found it a little implausible that "calculations" were needed to make the jump...it was obviously just a case of them wanting to include "Eli saves the day with Math!"

Once the ship's drive cuts out, it "goes ballistic" like they say. Assuming its mass is internally static (nothing sloshing around), which I think is fair, it should be rotating about its center of mass, no "wobbles" or anything that they talked about. An object thrown off of a rotating body will proceed on a trajectory tangential to the rotation at the moment of release - so all Eli had to do is wait until the airlock was just coming into view of Destiny, then fire away!

What they did NOT mention was any effects of the artificial gravity well on the derelict ship, which would have affected the trajectory in a very unpredictable way without knowing its exact parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post
          I found it a little implausible that "calculations" were needed to make the jump...it was obviously just a case of them wanting to include "Eli saves the day with Math!"

Once the ship's drive cuts out, it "goes ballistic" like they say. Assuming its mass is internally static (nothing sloshing around), which I think is fair, it should be rotating about its center of mass, no "wobbles" or anything that they talked about. An object thrown off of a rotating body will proceed on a trajectory tangential to the rotation at the moment of release - so all Eli had to do is wait until the airlock was just coming into view of Destiny, then fire away!

What they did NOT mention was any effects of the artificial gravity well on the derelict ship, which would have affected the trajectory in a very unpredictable way without knowing its exact parameters.
          The ship wasn't just spinning, it was wobbling, so it would take more than just jumping when you could see the hole.

Comment

well, it did get knocked around by Destiny's nose as Perry was coming in, so it wouldn't be as neat and clean as just rotating, something I'm sure both Rush and Young could have managed on their own.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              well, it did get knocked around by Destiny's nose as Perry was coming in, so it wouldn't be as neat and clean as just rotating, something I'm sure both Rush and Young could have managed on their own.
              Doesnt matter, a static-mass object will only have two axes of motion: about its center of gravity (rotation) and the linear motion of an object as a whole, which Destiny was already matching. Or, in other terms, linear momentum and angular momentum. When the Destiny bumped the derelict, it might have changed the angle of rotation and its rotation speed, but it could not induce any complex "wobbles" (again, unless you want to talk about interfering gravity fields or something, I guess)

From the frame of view of the derelict, Destiny would just appear to orbit around it in a circle. It wasnt rotating nearly fast enough for precession to make a noticeable difference, and unless it was venting significant atmosphere or still had drive sections active, it would not wobble.

Its not even a big deal per se, except that they didnt even need to mention "wobbles" in the first place, the story would have advanced just the same if they had left that line out. Wonky science in sci-fi shows I can forgive when its necessary for the story, but its a lot harder to ignore it when they stick in bad science (and elementary Newtonian physics, at that) just because they wanted to sound more 'sciencey', but couldnt be bothered to check their facts.

Comment

Doesnt matter, a static-mass object will only have two axes of motion: about its center of gravity (rotation) and the linear motion of an object as a whole, which Destiny was already matching. Or, in other terms, linear momentum and angular momentum. When the Destiny bumped the derelict, it might have changed the angle of rotation and its rotation speed, but it could not induce any complex "wobbles" (again, unless you want to talk about interfering gravity fields or something, I guess)

From the frame of view of the derelict, Destiny would just appear to orbit around it in a circle. It wasnt rotating nearly fast enough for precession to make a noticeable difference, and unless it was venting significant atmosphere or still had drive sections active, it would not wobble.

Its not even a big deal per se, except that they didnt even need to mention "wobbles" in the first place, the story would have advanced just the same if they had left that line out. Wonky science in sci-fi shows I can forgive when its necessary for the story, but its a lot harder to ignore it when they stick in bad science (and elementary Newtonian physics, at that) just because they wanted to sound more 'sciencey', but couldnt be bothered to check their facts.
                Tell that to asteroids in real life. They often have complex rotations while being solid, static masses. Why? Because the object isn't a perfect sphere and the center of gravity isn't in the "center", but off to one side or another. So, often the axis of rotation itself rotates around an imaginary axis. That's what a wobble is.

And even if it was just one axis, you'd still have to calculate it. Why? Because you can't jump too early and hit Destiny too hard and thus bounce off. And you can't jump too late and miss it altogether. You have to come at the right angle to be able to land and attach. Real life physics is way, WAY more complex than one learns in text books at even college level.
                Last edited by geddarkstorm; 18 November 2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geddarkstorm View Post
                  Tell that to asteroids in real life. They often have complex rotations while being solid, static masses. Why? Because the object isn't a perfect sphere and the center of gravity isn't in the "center", but off to one side or another. So, often the axis of rotation itself rotates around an imaginary axis. That's what a wobble is.

And even if it was just one axis, you'd still have to calculate it. Why? Because you can't jump too early and hit Destiny too hard and thus bounce off. And you can't jump too late and miss it altogether. You have to come at the right angle to be able to land and attach. Real life physics is way, WAY more complex than one learns in text books at even college level.
                  ^^this
                  real life is crazy
                  sigpic

Comment

As far as the ship suits and droid, don't forget they have yet to check the ships Inventory manifest. I highly doubt they would only pack one droid to repair that whole ship. Same with the suits. I'm wondering when every one will start looking for labs in there respective fields. I can't see Vookner finding the Astrometric Lab and try to play navigator. Or Broody with an engineering lab so he can work better ( and away from the still, lol). Or give Rush a real alien tech reasearch lab for any thing they find. TJ getting better med tech. But I guest that would be in season 3.

Comment

Working...
                    X