No announcement yet.

"Structure" in the background radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is all true, but doesn't really affect the idea. Rush's point is that, at one time, the pattern was whole, so prior to the formation of the CMB, this pattern would have been whole. They detect it in the radiation because that's when the decay began. At the start, there was a pattern.

Comment

We won't know if that is intended the case until more information is revealed (I haven't seen Malice yet so I don't know if any new info is in that ) but it's not exactly a stretch that people are jumping to the conclusion that the implication was that this is a question about something from the beginning of time. Rush's wording seems to pretty clearly suggest that at least he suspects that in fact could very well likely the case.

As far as made up science goes. Personally I think there is a line that is drawn before it becomes a problem. Unfortunately that line is not really a clear cut thing. Obviously all science fiction shows will make stuff up to get get to a certain degree. My standard for judging technobabble or nonsensical science is that if it doesn't stand up to a very basic understanding of a scientific idea then it becomes bothersome. I guess the problem is that what is considered "common knowledge" in science might differ from person to person. And obviously one has to make certain allowances for sci-fi. The thing is that will also differ from person to person too. I guess it depends partially on how one will be willing to suspend their scientific disbelief. And for me the significance of any scientific errors might well also depend on how important any flaws are to the story.

To use the last Star Trek movie as an example:

I can fairly easily accept that the technology from the 25th Century would be able to conceivably synthesize a substance to form an artificial black hole when heated or that a mining ship can drill to all the way to the core of a planet, even if those are both fairly silly ideas.

When it becomes a problem for me is when they try to tell me "a supernova threatens to destroy the galaxy." Even an elementary understanding of the simplified concept of a Supernova will tell you that isn't possible.

Spock being able to see Vulcan from Delta Vega with the naked eye is extremely stupid but not a real problem outside of nitpicking.

Spock being released by his captor onto Delta Vega for the expressed purpose of watching Vulcan from Delta Vega thereby allowed him to randomly meet Kirk is a problem.

In SGU's case, I don't really have a problem, strictly speaking, with the idea that the Alterans had the knowledge to gain a more sophisticated understanding of the Background Radiation and discovered it had properties that our current scientific understanding couldn't be aware of.

What bothers me is A) The implications of Rush's suggestion about it and Destiny's mission in a show like this and B) how exactly Destiny was supposed to accomplish this mission by just flying around the universe in a fairly straight line reaaaaallly far away while stopping next to stargates planted recently in front of it on it's journey.

If they are looking for coded messages from God or primordial plasma aliens or something which are embedded in something that is present thorugh the entirety of the universe, why did they need Destiny or it's long range trip? Unless new information explaining that is revealed (which is still very possibly to imagine) I'd count that as a lack of understanding of science that crosses the "problem" line for a sci-fi show.
      Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 19 November 2010, 11:26 PM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
        ^This wins the thread^

Please pass whatever illicit substance you were partaking of when you wrote this as it sounds absolutely fantastic

N.C
        What happens on Athos, stays on Athos. ^^

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        To use the last Star Trek movie as an example:

I can fairly easily accept that the technology from the 25th Century would be able to conceivably synthesize a substance to form an artificial black hole when heated or that a mining ship can drill to all the way to the core of a planet, even if those are both fairly silly ideas.

When it becomes a problem for me is when they try to tell me "a supernova threatens to destroy the galaxy." Even an elementary understanding of the simplified concept of a Supernova will tell you that isn't possible.

Spock being able to see Vulcan from Delta Vega with the naked eye is extremely stupid but not a real problem outside of nitpicking.

Spock being released by his captor onto Delta Vega for the expressed purpose of watching Vulcan from Delta Vega thereby allowed him to randomly meet Kirk is a problem.
        It all boils down to if someone can overlook the flaws of a story and enjoy it overall despite those flaws. I think the challenge of any sort of producer is not to make a perfect show, but to make it endearing enough the viewers will choose to come back the next episode and revisit the characters. Perfection is one thing, entertainment is another. This was a lesson hard earned suffering through/watching/enjoying Enterprise. That's another story, however.

Has anyone on this thread seen the last episode of SGU? If so, what do you make of the "pattern" shown on Rush's laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Tajis View Post
          Has anyone on this thread seen the last episode of SGU? If so, what do you make of the "pattern" shown on Rush's laptop?
          It was shown better in "Malice". Looks like an X.

Comment

Working...
          X