"Structure" in the background radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Structure" in the background radiation

When they say the acients detected evidence of "Structure" in the background noise/radiation that could mean two different things to me.

A) A physical structure, something with a physical destination (planet, ship, etc)
    or
    B) Structure could be something more non-physical, such as a signal that they need to get much closer to in order to analyze the "structure" of the signal/message.

I am trying to understand better what the writers are hinting at.

Does anyone else have a better understanding the new mission?

"Structure" is meant in the sense that there's a pattern, a coherence to the radiation artificial in origin.

Comment

If the background radiation permeates the entire universe why do they have to send a ship out to investigate it? Why not just stay back on earth and do it in a lab? It all sounds rather difficult to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
        If the background radiation permeates the entire universe why do they have to send a ship out to investigate it? Why not just stay back on earth and do it in a lab? It all sounds rather difficult to believe.
        Because you can't study it from Earth, it's at the very edge of the universe.

Imagine a deflated balloon, that's the universe at the time of the big bang. Now imagine the balloon inflating, that's the universe expanding afterwards, the structure present at the time of the big bang would move away as the universe expands.

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Hopper View Post

Imagine a deflated balloon, that's the universe at the time of the big bang. Now imagine the balloon inflating, that's the universe expanding afterwards, the structure present at the time of the big bang would move away as the universe expands.
          I don't know. Scientists on earth managed to detect it. You can even see it yourself if you turn on your TV and change to an empty channel. The static is supposed to be because of the background radiation left over from the big bang. They even made an x files ep about it

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Conduit

Comment

Isn't this what the group SETI is all about?

Comment

^No, SETI is about intercepting artificial signals coming from space from alien sources; Destiny's mission is a little more grand than that.

Originally posted by Pond Hopper View Post

You can definitely study it from Earth - otherwise we wouldn't know about it, would we?

The CMB is indeed everywhere in the Universe; it's made up of photons that were "freed" after the Universe cooled enough for atoms to form (before that all the charged particles basically kept them bouncing around all over the place), basically taking a 3D snapshot of the temperature/density distribution of the entire Universe at that moment in time.

Clearly, the writers didn't explain everything in this episode and there's probably more detail to it that will be revealed later. What exactly is Destiny doing out here? Why the Stargates? etc. etc. There's very little point in revealing it all now; better to keep the audience guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Clearly, the writers didn't explain everything in this episode and there's probably more detail to it that will be revealed later. What exactly is Destiny doing out here? Why the Stargates? etc. etc. There's very little point in revealing it all now; better to keep the audience guessing.
                We might need the writers to reveal everything they planned if this doesn't get covered in Season 2.
                I would really hate to see this cancelled after season 2 with all of these questions never answered. Just for plot closure for the fans, I hope they can answer some of these questions online.

Comment

What part of Rush's words ''It's not for our technology to detect'' you did not understood?. Maybe there are things that our current science doesn't know and we have no technological means of detecting that meaning we don't know that. What ancients found in that radiational background we don't know as we can't detect it. So leave all the current science behind.

Yes we can detect that background radiation, however we can't detect what they found in it meaning we cannot know whether we can test it from earth. And since ancients couldn't test it, we have to accept the fact that we cannot too.

Writers were clear that there's something ancients found but couldn't identify enough so they build destiny.
                  The cake is a lie...

Comment

What if that Pattern is actually like the Universes DNA? Destiny is traveling through the Universe to collect infos about the Galaxies and their respective Patterns, if Destiny can detect and save the Patterns from the different Galaxies, then it may actually come to a point where you have enough information to decode the patterns and maybe even manipulate them.
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I don't think it's the kind of structure you can get physically closer to. I don't think the cosmic microwave back ground can be a physical destination. In cosmology I believe they often look for a correlation between the cosmic microwave background and the structure of the observable universe. If they made a correlation between data of the CMB and locations in the physical universe then destiny could be visiting all these locations that are now separated by 13 billion years of expansion.

Thinking back to the balloon analogy and imagine that before it's inflated you see a visible pattern of dots (this would be the CMB) but as the balloon inflates and the dots grow farther apart it becomes more difficult to see the pattern. Speaking in real simple metaphor perhaps Destiny sit trying somehow to connect the dots in the physical universe to make sense of what the ancients saw in the Cosmic Microwave Background.
                      I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                        What if that Pattern is actually like the Universes DNA? Destiny is traveling through the Universe to collect infos about the Galaxies and their respective Patterns, if Destiny can detect and save the Patterns from the different Galaxies, then it may actually come to a point where you have enough information to decode the patterns and maybe even manipulate them.
                        This is very close to what I have thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                          I don't think it's the kind of structure you can get physically closer to. I don't think the cosmic microwave back ground can be a physical destination. In cosmology I believe they often look for a correlation between the cosmic microwave background and the structure of the observable universe. If they made a correlation between data of the CMB and locations in the physical universe then destiny could be visiting all these locations that are now separated by 13 billion years of expansion.

Thinking back to the balloon analogy and imagine that before it's inflated you see a visible pattern of dots (this would be the CMB) but as the balloon inflates and the dots grow farther apart it becomes more difficult to see the pattern. Speaking in real simple metaphor perhaps Destiny sit trying somehow to connect the dots in the physical universe to make sense of what the ancients saw in the Cosmic Microwave Background.

thanks Mr. Wizard i get it!

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post

The CMB contains small thermal variations, generated by quantum fluctuations of matter in a very tiny space, expanded to universe sized proportions by inflation. The writers' idea that it may represent intelligence is pure, unadulterated fantasy since the photons that are the CMB are visible only because the universe cooled enough for stable atoms of hydrogen to form. There is NOTHING for Destiny to find. It's just a "snapshot" that shows all the intelligence of quantum brownian motion.

Like Brannon and Braga's Future Guy on Enterprise, or RDM's Cylons who "Had A Plan" for three seasons, Mallozzi's writers talked the talk, but ultimately couldn't walk the walk. We're just gonna get a lot more speculative Faith Planet aliens ambiguous bullsh!t, more "I miss my mommy" stones stores, and more irrational and inexplicable "evil Lucian Alliance dudes allowed to roam free in order to create dramatic tension". Oh, and perhaps a few more "alien bugs cause mass hallucinations" stories.

If SGU can't find enough viewers who find Foxy Loxy devouring Chicken Little "compelling drama", I suspect SyFy is gonna abort season 3.
                            Last edited by Cylykon; 10 November 2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

From SG1 there is a creature that exists but can't be seen, so they had to use special detector and blast guns; and also there was an episode where these giant bugs appeared on Earth but they were non corporeal, apparently they have been there since the dawn of time. So many mysteries to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X