A great turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    It actually makes less sense to me that the Ancients would abandon a mission this important. Given how Rush talked about the issue, discovering the ultimate meaning or mysterious of all of existence seems like it's arguably the most important mission that ever was or ever could be undertaken.

If the universe was created by an intelligent force, then such a being (or beings) would essentially by definition be a real actual God (or Gods). So in essence the Ancients discovered proof of the existence of the creator of the universe, set on a mission to understand it and then... forgot about it because they had better things to do?
    Perhaps ascension is the way that the Ancients can continue to follow Destiny's journey, in some way?

They were mere mortals - intelligent and powerful yes, but still mortal. Being realistic, they would have realised that their civilisation may eventually end and therefore when ascension presented itself as a viable option, they may have chosen to take it as the only 100% guarantee of being around when the Destiny finally completed its mission.

So far there's no firm evidence or proof of ascended beings present on or near Destiny. Whether that's because they have chosen not to reveal themselves yet, they're still trying to catch up to Destiny even in their ascended forms, or because I'm completely wrong... we're yet to find out.

What I'm trying to say is that even if appears that the Ancients appear to have "forgotten" about Destiny and it's mission - that isn't necessarily the case.
    Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

It actually makes less sense to me that the Ancients would abandon a mission this important. Given how Rush talked about the issue, discovering the ultimate meaning or mysterious of all of existence seems like it's arguably the most important mission that ever was or ever could be undertaken.

If the universe was created by an intelligent force, then such a being (or beings) would essentially by definition be a real actual God (or Gods). So in essence the Ancients discovered proof of the existence of the creator of the universe, set on a mission to understand it and then... forgot about it because they had better things to do?
      Well, we gave up looking for the Holy Grail on Earth a LONG time ago - weve found better things to do that search fro mythical objects.

Also, they never said there WAS a signal in the radiation, they BELIEVED there was some sort of incoherent structure, basically they think theres something there but arent sure, so slap a mission together to go look.

N.C

Comment

IP,

I'm sorry. But the revelation of the true mission of Destiny struck me as nothing less than ridiculous. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously after something that over the top (that's exactly what it was.)

The idea that these guys are going to find a newly revealed intelligence that created the entire universe is just far to implausible for me to buy.

The implication that basically the all of existence is an artificial creation is in an of itself the most shockingly important breakthrough in history. The notion of something that magnitude being revealed and ultimately understood by anyone in any of the shows is just too grandiose of an idea for me to get behind in this show.

Stargate really has never been that kind of franchise.

The show is probably going to lose me if the premise is now that a bunch of random nobodies have essentially accidentally stumbled into a scientific mission to find God himself.
        I like it. I hope they never find it or discover it is to big to "understand". "The Universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."

I agree with what other's have said. They launched Destiny in an effort to discover what this was. It was a very long term mission like our own robotic space probes. If we found a way to travel vast distances safely would we still moniter and take readings from our robotic deep space probes? Destiny was a throw away hope against hope mission. It's useful to us now because we haven't discovered the Anicents other methods of researching this question.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I'm sorry. But the revelation of the true mission of Destiny struck me as nothing less than ridiculous. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously after something that over the top (that's exactly what it was.)

The idea that these guys are going to find a newly revealed intelligence that created the entire universe is just far to implausible for me to buy.

The implication that basically the all of existence is an artificial creation is in an of itself the most shockingly important breakthrough in history. The notion of something that magnitude being revealed and ultimately understood by anyone in any of the shows is just too grandiose of an idea for me to get behind in this show.

Stargate really has never been that kind of franchise.

The show is probably going to lose me if the premise is now that a bunch of random nobodies have essentially accidentally stumbled into a scientific mission to find God himself.
          Whos to say that is What it means. For all we know it could be that the big bang has happened before several times and one time, before the pror Universe ended, someone found a way to seed a message in the new one, to tell those that came after all about it.

Think of al the discoveries in our time here on earth we have discontinued going after, or forgot (dark ages). perhaps the ancients did intend to follow up, but events transpired that made the info lost/not an immediate need, but by the time that need was over they were ascending.. so it mattered little now.

Also.. For all intents and purposes this is their version of our Voyager probes.. but for a much longer duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
            Well, we gave up looking for the Holy Grail on Earth a LONG time ago - weve found better things to do that search fro mythical objects.

Also, they never said there WAS a signal in the radiation, they BELIEVED there was some sort of incoherent structure, basically they think theres something there but arent sure, so slap a mission together to go look.

N.C
            This isn't like that at all. This is the ancients finding a staggeringly important piece of concrete evidence that shapes the very way they understand the universe itself.

For a technologically advanced civilization like the Alterans, discovering the truth about the nature of existence should probably be the most significant discovery in the the history of science. Heck, it could be said it was the most significant question in the history of all sapient life. I don't get how a society that seems to prize scientific understanding as much as they did would just abandon the search for the answer to arguably the most important scientific question there ever could be.

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
            IP,

I like it. I hope they never find it or discover it is to big to "understand". "The Universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
            This is exactly the reason I have a problem with it. It's suck a monumentally grand question that I couldn't possibly buy the idea our pitiful little race could ever truly gain an answer as profound as the one Rush is looking apparently for and seems to think is almost within his grasp. The fact that all our scientists can understand Allteran technology as well as they do is already a stretch.

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
            I agree with what other's have said. They launched Destiny in an effort to discover what this was. It was a very long term mission like our own robotic space probes. If we found a way to travel vast distances safely would we still moniter and take readings from our robotic deep space probes? Destiny was a throw away hope against hope mission. It's useful to us now because we haven't discovered the Anicents other methods of researching this question.
            I suppose the show has not revealed exactly how Destiny's progress over the last several million years somehow relates to that mission (which unless they do seems almost like a little bit of a plot hole) but wasn't Destiny launched millions of years before Atlantis was created, which was itself millions of years old? What were they doing in all that time that caused to to abandon the the project entirely before it even really got started in earnest? Which they seemed to have judging by the looks of the ship.

There was an episode of the old 1990s "Spiderman: The Animated Series" where Spiderman had to pretty much literally save the entire multiverse, and hence all of reality, from destruction. As fun as that may have been for a kid's cartoon, even looking at it back then I could tell that was a scenario that just seemed so overly fantastically grandiose that it felt kind of too ridiculous. Rush finding essentially the most significant universe altering discovery in the history of the cosmos which will in turn possibly lead him to a message from God is sort of along those same lines to me.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

This is exactly the reason I have a problem with it. It's suck a monumentally grand question that I couldn't possibly buy the idea our pitiful little race could ever truly gain an answer as profound as the one Rush is looking apparently for and seems to think is almost within his grasp. The fact that all our scientists can understand Allteran technology as well as they do is already a stretch.
              i have no problem with them understanding Destiny tech.

however i did with atlantian tech

Comment

Don't think the Ancients had a choice in abandoning the mission, their civilization was decimated by the plague in the Milky Way and they had to rebuild their civilization in the Pegasus galaxy. But before they manage to do that, the Wraith interrupted their plans. After that, the Ancient's civilization went downhill after that. Since Destiny's gate address was found in Atlantis, they probably had plans to go there but just didn't get the chance.

Comment

For all we know, the Ancients made periodic trips to Destiny to check its progress, nipping upto the bridge to check, finding nothing new, head back down to the power room and hook up a close to ZPm device to enable 1 dial back to Atlantis, and as we know, established wormhles draw power from the off-world gate, so Atlantis with 3 ZPM's would be the powersource for the return journey.

Then as Atlantis gets sunk they stop visiting Destiny due to the Wraith, and when they return to Earth they loose the option all together

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                    For all we know, the Ancients made periodic trips to Destiny to check its progress, nipping upto the bridge to check, finding nothing new, head back down to the power room and hook up a close to ZPm device to enable 1 dial back to Atlantis, and as we know, established wormhles draw power from the off-world gate, so Atlantis with 3 ZPM's would be the powersource for the return journey.

Then as Atlantis gets sunk they stop visiting Destiny due to the Wraith, and when they return to Earth they loose the option all together

N.C
                    Sounds interesting, but didn't Rush mention that the Ancients never came aboard Destiny? Of course, he could have been mistaken.

From "Air (2)":

RUSH: I've also discovered that they were never here.

WALLACE: I thought this was an Ancient ship.

RUSH: It is, but they sent it out unmanned, planning to use the Gate to get here when it was far enough out into the universe. But they probably learned to ascend before that time.
                    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

It would be interesting to see if they DID make a few visits early on, but stopped doing so. Maybe it might give us a hint as to when the Plague started to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by ipfnd View Post
                        I think the show has taken a great step. It's really coming together now. However, does anyone else think that the "true mission" that Rush spelled out may be a bit over the top? The ancients discovered something impossible and sent a ship out to check it out that would take "millions of years" to get there? Don't get me wrong it's cool and awesome but IMO may be a bit far fetched. I also think that Rush may still be lying. Great episode, possibly the best yet.
                        Yes , great episode because it finally revealed a piece of the puzzle. It's very frustrating (and time wasting) to watch tv shows that are intentionally holding strange misteries , playing jokes with the viewer's curiosity and finally providing some lame answer ... There is hope that SGU will not be such a tv show

On the other hand , the Destiny's mission might be too bold: the current understanding of the universe is limited, therefore it will be a big challenge for the writers to come up with a smart solution to this major mystery and at the same time.
                        I'll pray for a scientific SGU finale , rather than a god-related one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded View Post
                          Perhaps ascension is the way that the Ancients can continue to follow Destiny's journey, in some way?
                          The ascension explains why the "Destiny project" was at some point abandoned : the Ancients have ascended before Destiny traveled far enough.

So the ascension made Destiny obsolete from the Ancients' point of view ...

Comment

Perhaps the plague interfered with their plans by effectively destroying their civilization?

Comment

Working...
                            X