A great turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great turn

I think the show has taken a great step. It's really coming together now. However, does anyone else think that the "true mission" that Rush spelled out may be a bit over the top? The ancients discovered something impossible and sent a ship out to check it out that would take "millions of years" to get there? Don't get me wrong it's cool and awesome but IMO may be a bit far fetched. I also think that Rush may still be lying. Great episode, possibly the best yet.

Originally posted by ipfnd View Post
    I think the show has taken a great step. It's really coming together now. However, does anyone else think that the "true mission" that Rush spelled out may be a bit over the top? The ancients discovered something impossible and sent a ship out to check it out that would take "millions of years" to get there? Don't get me wrong it's cool and awesome but IMO may be a bit far fetched. I also think that Rush may still be lying. Great episode, possibly the best yet.
    Impossible by our standards

The Ancients probably didn't think it would take this long,
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't think Rush is lying, I think he lacks the words to describe grandeur of the mission. Ship just travels to the edge of the universe, collecting pieces of information there and here. Remember, this is long before Ancients learned ascending so they where mortal and mortal likes to ask questions about immortality. They thought that echo of Big Bang contains some sort of code, information which can be used to manipulate this known universe in the ways known never before. While I really doubt that it would be 'God code', I fully agree that it is something worth to know about, so yes, even some useful applications could come out of it - getting home, for example (at least for those people who wants to go home).

So in nutshell Rush is honest here. He had to give Young quite a good reason why he acted his way (which have cost team 1 live and 1 missing) - and he gave him one. And I think Rush is not the monster we would like him to be - it was quite clear that he feels guilty. Not maybe enough to stop being arrogant, but he is not a full fledged sociopath. Simply a passioned scientist whose motives in all this are not quite clear.

Comment

I agree with it being impossible by our standards but I would imagine the ancients would have had a good idea how long it would take. And why seed gates on the way out there if the mission is to discover the Impossible thingy..

Comment

Because the writers didn't come up with this plot device when they were pitching the show.

And in-show, you could say that the Ancients wanted to explore while they were waiting.

Comment

I agree with it being impossible by our standards but I would imagine the ancients would have had a good idea how long it would take. And why seed gates on the way out there if the mission is to discover the Impossible thingy..
            The same reason we use the gates. If this mission is so far out there. We will need to pick up supplies
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Maybe they realized that Destiny might not make it to it's destination and decided to take a shortcut called Ascension

Comment

obviously they intended to upgrade Destiny as they went along, making the trip shorter and shorter.

anyway, why remain mortal and seek out something you might never unravel and not choose immortality

Comment

Actually, we still know almost nothing about the mission. Where is Destiny going exactly? Why is it going exactly there? What is it supposed to do when it gets there?

I guess the Ancients knew that it would take Destiny a very long time to fulfill its mission. But why should this fact stop them from launching it? If we would find out about a message from the beginning of the Universe, it would probably be the most important discovery in the history of mankind. Religious people might consider it to be a message of God. It could be the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything I think it would be quite a motivation.
                  sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

I doubt the writers are aware that even after crossing 30-40 galaxies, Destiny has hardly made it out of our local supercluster At this speed even reaching the edge of the currently observable universe would probably take destiny roughly untill...hmm.. the stars are going out? ( <-- that's not the end of the universe btw. We're currently in the sort of "univers golden age" where there are stars and life ). At the speed of a million years or so for a couple dozen galaxies, destiny has no chance of getting close to the edge of the universe, what with the universe expanding and all that.

Comment

While it was really step forward but it's not gonna last. Next week show is taking 2 steps backwards.
                      The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post
                        While it was really step forward but it's not gonna last. Next week show is taking 2 steps backwards.
                        How do you figure?

Comment

I'd like to know that as well.

If anything I want to see next weeks episode even more then this one. I already know what will happen but I still want to see it!

Comment

Taking a stab here with my n00b knowledge of astrophysics. If a ship is travelling towards the center of the universe, aka the origin of the big bang, then gravity will increase the closer it gets and hence time slows down. Probably why it took more than a million years. Maybe it'll take a billion years or infinity to get there depending on the gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                              Taking a stab here with my n00b knowledge of astrophysics. If a ship is travelling towards the center of the universe, aka the origin of the big bang, then gravity will increase the closer it gets and hence time slows down. Probably why it took more than a million years. Maybe it'll take a billion years or infinity to get there depending on the gravity.
                              I wonder that too, Is it even possible.
                              Most likely even more n00b astrophysics here but with the theory of the Universe expanding wouldn't they never be able to reach it if it was expanding from the centre and pushing all the other things in the Universe further away

Comment

Working...
                              X