Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The True Mission

Spoiler:
    In spoiler tags just to be safe. So Destiny was sent to find the Planet Builders? That seems fairly obvious given what we know up to this point. They created the planet and star from season 1 and apparently the universe as well. This is why the Ancients ascended instead. To gain this greater knowledge of the universe, thus the thinly veiled ascension referencing language Rush was using, and to find the origin of the universe. That's why Destiny was sent out and that why the Ancients ascended.

I'm worried about Rush's motives though. If he wants to "change things" that would likely mean he wants to bring his wife back and that seems like a very clichéd "mad scientist" type of motive. If this is the case then I can already see how the series could end: Rush contacts the Planet Builders, "changes things", gets his wife back, and fixes it so that the Destiny crew ends up never going to the ship in the first place. None of this ever happens and only Rush, and maybe Young, remember any of what happened. I may very well be completely wrong, but if I'm picking up on the foreshadowing correctly, then this seems plausible. I think I'm right about Destiny's mission, based on what Rush told Young, being to find the Planet Builders though. We shall see. Just some ideas.

Originally posted by Arturis View Post
    Spoiler:
    So Destiny was sent to find the Planet Builders?
    I don't think there is any evidence to support a connection between
    Spoiler:
    the Planet Builders and the intelligence from the Big Bang.
    That's not to say that a connection isn't possible, just not supported by any evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by prattmic View Post
      I don't think there is any evidence to support a connection between
      Spoiler:
      the Planet Builders and the intelligence from the Big Bang.
      That's not to say that a connection isn't possible, just not supported by any evidence.
      well if a race can create the big bang. their sure can build the faith planet
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        Certainly, however so could tons of other less advanced races. If such a race created the entire universe, why would they care to create one more planet out of billions?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          True, but the reverse is not true
          sigpic

Comment

Oh I'll bet the planet builders have something to do with Destiny's mission. It seems a bit cooincidental considering the "questing" nature of Destiny's mission. They may not be the same creatures, but I'll bet there's a connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
              Oh I'll bet the planet builders have something to do with Destiny's mission. It seems a bit cooincidental considering the "questing" nature of Destiny's mission. They may not be the same creatures, but I'll bet there's a connection.
              I makes sense from a continuity and story arc standpoint to continue the story of the Faith aliens, and to make them have significance to the series as a whole, however Stargate has a long history of having a race appear in one or two episodes and then disappear forever.

Comment

In the SG-1 episode "Camelot," Jackson mentioned a myth about Merlin aging backwards. What if the Ancients created our current universe and worked backwards through our evolution? Now we are working our way to the next Big Bang which we could set off with Destiny and then start again ala BSG.

Also reminds me of the final episode of Star Trek: TNG, where the mission was to stop an anomaly that grew backwards through time before it choked out the first spark of life on earth.

Comment

I really like the idea of this mission. I just wonder how truthful Rush is being?
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I really like the idea of this mission. I just wonder how truthful Rush is being?
                    IMO i think he's being 100% honest now with destiny and her mission. also that moment would have been a bad time for TPTB to throw a red herring
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm interested to see where this goes!

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Hopefully to at least the end of the third season (the show that is).

Comment

Think (astronomically) bigger than "advanced races" - we're talking about "reason for existence," "nature of reality," "this universe could be nothing more than an atom in an exponentially larger universe," "what caused the first cause; does god have a god?" sort of questions. Reality-warping, time-bending, "the universe has two faces, and we've only seen one" kind of concepts.

I doubt there is any connection between this and Faith, because this concept is so much larger and I think SGU is trying to move away from the "everything leads back to the ancients" style of the other shows, as that eventually killed the allure the ancients had. SGU has moved decidedly in the direction of having as many different things (blue aliens, pod aliens, random spaceship wreckage, ancient tech, random ruins, planet builders, etc.) going on as possible.

Anyway, this concept blows away anything previously done on Stargate (in terms of scope). I do not envy the writers. For their sake, SGU better end before they ever have to go into too much detail.

Comment

I suspect the intelligence will be from a being or beings that survived the last big bang and they will eventually discover that there have been multiple big bangs throughout history.

Comment

Ancients' philosophical debates?

Comment

Working...
                              X